Soon to be learner after advice.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LindaH73 said:
Hi i'm a qualified beauitican (manicures, pedicures, facials, tinting, eyebrow shaping, usually stuff) and will be doing a nail extension course in September training in acrylics. Just wanted advice on what acrylic products people would advice (please bear in mind i know very little!!) and what book would be good for reference while i am training (it's a college course).

Many thanks Linda.x :?

Hi Linda,

There was a thread similar to this not that long ago. In my opinion beauty stuff should be done by beauty therapists and nail enhancements should be done by nail technicians. Agree or disagree - I am sure there will be many LOL.

If you love doing beauty then stick with it and dont confuse things by trying to do too many different things - Jack of all trades etc. springs to mind. However you may find that after learning nails that you love it and may drop the beauty.

Just a thought.

As to courses, choose the best quality one you can find. ;)

LindaH73

Reaction score
Hi i'm a qualified beauitican (manicures, pedicures, facials, tinting, eyebrow shaping, usually stuff) and will be doing a nail extension course in September training in acrylics. Just wanted advice on what acrylic products people would advice (please bear in mind i know very little!!) and what book would be good for reference while i am training (it's a college course).

Many thanks Linda.x :?

Hi Linda,

When i first started my course we where given an NSI kit, but i personally didnt like the products so i tried alot of different sample/trial kits which are mostly available from every company they contain enough products for you to as they say have a sample and they range from £5 onwards!

i know some people advise you to stick to one make, but i just found that by trialing a few i found the ones i preferred to work with.

Lou xxx :D

Thanks Fiona and Lou for your responses. I will do as you say Lou and try a few different types and find out what i like.

I know what you mean Fiona about being a 'jack of all trades', i actually did the beauty course because the nail course i wanted to do wouldn't except you unless you have a manicure certificate. I am really interested in learning nail extensions and nail art but it doesn't hurt for me to have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out how i would like. I suppose i'm just the type of person who really enjoys learning as well!

Many thanks again for the advice.
Best wishes Linda.x

Hi all,

I don't see a problem with trying both out, thats when your gonna find out what you enjoy doing most.

I'm not a fully qualified therapist, but i have taken beauty courses (ear piercing, waxing, facials, eye enhancement course - lash tinting/extensions/brow shaping, body art, etc. etc.) :?

And you know what... I LOVE NAILS :D :D :D :D :D :D

but, i still do beauty treatments.

Try it my lovely and see what you love most, you never know, it might be both.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

xxx

I did both beauty therapy and nails and while i like to do both i find i do sway more with nails and have continued to do training courses with nails.
I don`t do much beauty at all now and I always hated waxing, how can inflicting pain on someone be classed as pampering?????
You do what you have to do but i bet u`ll do more of one subject than u do the other

:D Hi Linda,
You asked about the best product to use for nail enhancements..... I've been 'doing' nails for nearly eight years now and I've tried alot of the products available on the market, I've found the best one to be Creative, they take some beating! (No one has yet) The best book to help you with your studies is 'The Encyclopedia of Nails' by Jaqui Jefford and Anne Swain. This has absolutely everything in it you will ever need.
Good Luck!
:)

Well Linda,

There is nothing wrong wanting to learn, thats why god gave us a brain ........ I think ??????
As you are already a qualified Beautician you will be aware of the learning involved...................
not just a simple resin, stick, file jobby............

I look at it as broadening your horizon..................
If you find that you simply love Nails, then you want to learn more and more and more and more and will strive to be the best there is......................

I think Creative is the best product and you will get the best Company back up there is..Only a Email or Phonecall away............

As far as the training goes, go for quality and trainer to student commitment and their level of knowledge, again I think Creative has got it as right as it could possibly be............
Their trainers are trained to train, by them , for them and with them.......

As far as books go...............

As Laura said, The Encyclopedia of Nails is fab and a must
Nail structure and product chemistry by Doug Schoon is an even bigger must.....................
The Complete Nail Techncian is good , but a bit dated, but some bits are still relevant and usefull
Trade magazines to keep you in the know of whats happening in the nail world are a, must have....................

Sorry if I sound completly creative mad, but I am impressed by the effort they make here on the board and out there in the big bad Nail Education world......................
And No, I am not being paid by them to say this lol........................
I am, as they would say an independant all round product user lol, but if I was to start out I know where I would go.....................
So off the soap box and back on my chair

So good luck, enjoy and learn to your hearts content...........
love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

Hi just wanted to thank everybody for their responses, all really helpful!

I will definately have a look into the books i was advised by Ruth and one quick question, how do i contact creative?

Many thanks again Ladies
Love Linda x

Creative have a central number where there are 5 Academy Advisors who will help you to find a Creative Nail Academy near to you and they will explain all the different options to you and send you a brochure/prospectus too.

Head Office general number is 0113 275 5719 and either ask to be put through to Education or an Academy Advisor OR if all the lines are engaged and you get the operator message, just wait and listen and punch in the number you will be given for the education office.

Thank you again!

Best wishes Linda x :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back