Soooo confused re. salon vs mobile!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Marie*

Reaction score
Hiya I am in such a dilemna I don't know what to do so I was hoping you could all help me out abit with making a decision for my future!

I qualified at end of July and 3 weeks ago I was phoned up by local beauty salon and started renting a table there...and 3 weeks later they still haven't given me anything in writing like a contract and this last week I feel like they are taking the p*** with me! :irked: Yesterday really took the biscuit...I opened up for them at 9.30 (they were out doing wedding makeup) as I had my first client at 10, then another at 12 (soakoff & new nails), then in the week they had both booked themselves in with me (without consulting me first) for acrylics, first I knew was when I looked in my diary! So one was booked in for 3, the other 4.30...to cut a long story short the one owners daughter had her first hour at nursery and for about 3 hours she was back and too out of the salon and when it came to 3 she wasn't there...3.30 and she still wasn't there, I would have thought they themselves would know what it is like to have late clients! Anyway 3.40 she was there, did her nails and at 5.30 after a few interruptions was done, so I had to then do the other owners started them at 5.45 and they then tell me that she has to go to a dinner party for 7...bearing in mind she's gotta get home etc! They said I SHOULD be doing nails in less than an hour and a half (takes me between 1 hour 30 to 2 hours depending on client). And all the time I was doing the nails I felt victimized as they were saying this is how a salon should be run..told me to tie my hair up (which falls out all the time as it is in layers!), told me to only talk to the client if they talk to me (??? what's that all about aren't we all meant to be friendly!!!), don't tell them anything about me, lie about how long I've been doing nails (I'm not ashamed that I've just qualified!), oh yeah and they don't give me any money for the nails I did...they decided themselves that I couldhave a treatment, trying to stand up for myself I told them that I have a huuuuge credit card bill (all for training, supplies etc) and any money I get pays that off so I would prefer a bit towards my costs...they give me a fiver each.

Anyway sorry this has been a long one, there is probably loads more that has slipped my mind, but all in all when I decided I wanted to train to be a nail tech the whole intention was because I didn't want to work for someone again (had enough of being walked all over career wise!!) and now even though I'm renting the table I feel that they are doing this, yesterday I worked solidly doing nails from 10 til 7 with that one 40 min break!

I should have known from the start that they would take the p*** as when they gave me a price for the table they said £50 a day so £250 a week just for a table with no client base!!! I stood my ground then and said no as they aren't an establshed salon (only been open just 4 months) so we agreed on £50 a week (instead of a day!). My hubby says that they are always testing the boundaries and that I should have something in writing as it seems to becoming petty.

I only wanted to go mobile in the first place, it was them who contacted me from my mobile ad in paper. They just are annoying me as they say "we don't advertise, never have, never will, we go on word of mouth"...well they're doing well then aren't they considering most of their clients that walk through those doors are friends of theirs! Oooooooh bitchy!!!! :lol: There ya go I feel better and I feel I have probably made my decision after writing this - ditch the salon and do mobile what I wanted to do in the first place!!! xxx

Hi There !!

I really feel for you here.

Normally, I'd refrain from given anyone any advice regarding a situation as that person would eventually work it out for themselves. In this instance though, all I can say is ... DITCH IT !!

They cannot be allowed to treat you like this - how dare they, low life idiots (sorry, this has really wound me up) ... given time I'm sure they are the kind that would resort to bullying techniques.

This hell hole will only get you down. You should keep your £50.00 per week (and add it to all the rest of the money you will make by being mobile).

Do what you set out to do ... MOBILE!

• Love your job
  • Love your working environment
  • ... and love the fact that you are your OWN boss and no one can try to tell you what to do
I hope everything goes ok for you and you make the right choice for you.

Good Luck

Keep Smiling !! :0)

Vicky x

Hiya yes i think youre right they are definatly taking the p----.My advise to you is to go mobile i think youll enjoy been your own boss and you will certainly have more clients.They are not running a salon like it should be and that is professional as for not advertising well there you go i think its just for their friends and family to hang out.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

i do this all the time, never know what to do till i talk it thru then it just hits me!! i think u shud leave em too. im not very assertive and people like that would just walk over the top of me!!! good luck!!

Thanks sooo much...I am so glad you all understand where I'm coming from (there are no clients booked for next week anyway so would have lost £50 probably!) What really got me is we were still there at 6pm last night and someone phoned up and apparently said "nail technician there?" and she said "we closed at 6" and they said "just about right" sarcastically (don't blame them actually) and hung up....well why the hell couldn't she have just asked what they wanted and if they wanted to make an appointment with me?! Afterall I was still slogging my guts out doing their nails til 6.50!!! I had been doing my own advertising so it could have been someone valuable for me!!!

Latest posts

Back