Sore after a wax - Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marioned

Reaction score
I went for an intimate wax yesterday. There was no pre-wax lotion used, and strip wax was used. :irked:

Ouchy ouchy ouchy! I'm in a mess today. :eek:

The areas around my groin and just at the top (where my big belly folds over) are so sore and red. The areas are actually weeping. I've taken ibuprofen and an antihistamine and smothered the area with afterwax aloe vera gel.

Anything else you can suggest?

Marion x

Marion,

Oh my goodness you poor thing. :hug: Well first of all get yourself back to the people who did the waxing as it sounds as if they need to learn a few things... weeping wounds is not good at all, and any soreness (and i stress ANY) should die down after a few hours.....

As it's weeping are there burns? have they removed patches of skin?? Where is the weeping coming from hun? (sorry to ask but in my experience it is v unusual..)

There are so many fab waxing geeks on here and I am a newbie to the world of intimate waxing, i'm sure someone will know what has happenned...

xx

ohhh, mate, sounds like you've been a bit buchered!!

i think that what ou have done is abot the only thing you can do. and also leave your underwear off as much as possible!

:hug:

A visit to your GP and a complaint to the salon,
there is no way the area should be sore to the extent of weeping, (any soreness usually goes after half an hour or so)
tea tree oil would help to dry up the weeping and speed up recovery hth :hug:

Oohh thanks. I think my daughter has some tea tree oil. Will pinch it from her. Pants are off!

It's 3 strips of really sore skin. The one at the top goes across the way, so it must have been several strips together which made it, as I certainly don't remember her stripping it off sideways (which I know you shouldn't do) The others are strips along the groin/upper thigh. It's never happened before, although I've only had this area waxed maybe 6 times over the years. Each time it's been fine by the next day.

It isn't a burn, as the wax was a nice temperature when it went on. It feels like a burn though, really hot and sore. There is no obvious torn area, I think it is that there are a few layers of skin missing! The weeping is coming from over the whole red skin area.

Thanks for your responses! and sympathy!
Marion xx

nothing else to add treatment wise but just to wish you well and hope things settle down quickly for you:hug:

Aww thanks, Joolz. I've not got any tea tree oil, but have give a sloosh with cold water, and put on some more gel.

just thinkin what about some aloe vera gel? cool compresses? Im not trained in intimate waxing only regular, but am sure the peeps that are will come up with some more ideas

I went for an intimate wax yesterday. There was no pre-wax lotion used, and strip wax was used. :irked:

Ouchy ouchy ouchy! I'm in a mess today. :eek:

The areas around my groin and just at the top (where my big belly folds over) are so sore and red. The areas are actually weeping. I've taken ibuprofen and an antihistamine and smothered the area with afterwax aloe vera gel.

Anything else you can suggest?

Marion x

Oh dear marion..that is not something that should need to happen...Pm me your Addy and I will happily send you something to hopefully assist you...assuming of course its allowable:hug:

Oh dear marion..that is not something that should need to happen...Pm me your Addy and I will happily send you something to hopefully assist you...assuming of course its allowable:hug:

Can you share with us what you're going to send Collin? Very kind thought but I would be wary of putting anything onto the area as the skin has been ripped off and too much could stop it from healing. She doesn't want it to become infected.

As I said in my PM....knickers off, legs open.....and whistle Dixie untit it starts to dry and heal. Keep it cool with damp face cloths but don't leave them on too long as you want the area to dry.

Poor you!!!

Actually I don't think you should put an essential oil on anything weeping. As I understand it, you have a fold (belly) where it is especially sore? And you have 3 strips of very sore? No you should NOT have this, but in defense of our industry you should share this very quickly with the salon where you got the service. You should be able to call them and tell them you have had a severe reaction to the service you got yesterday and you are thinking you need to go to a doctor. From there, they should fall all over you to get you in to see them so they can tell with their own eyes what has happened.

All of us pros have had things happen and when a customer gives us the opportunity to learn and correct it is very helpful.

Now....if they don't respond like this, shame on them big time.

What to do about your soreness? Treat it like a scab or scrape. Aloe, some kind of creamy clay mask and a soothing ointment. If it is raw in a fold you have to try and keep air on the area as this helps the healing process.

Ouch...!
I've been a qualified therapist for years and these stories never cease to amaze me (unfortunately).

Firstly, you should take pics (I know, but you need proof to show management). Secondly, you should go back to the salon and ask to see the therapists (I use that word reluctantly) qualification(s).. I wouldn't be at all suprised if the only certificate she has is from one of these 1 day courses...ahh! :irked:

I guess now you've been de-fussed there's not too much that can be done except make sure you go to a properly qualified therapist in future.

Re your war wounds......cooled boliled water with salt ....dab it on with cotton wool, wear cotton knickers and when bathing make sure the water is warm not hot.

In future, make sure the therapist puts a small amount of wax onto you hand for you to check the heat of the wax, this is a good indicator that your skin won't burn.

As a professional I am very sorry to hear your story and hope you get better soon.:hug:

If its a graze and not a burn then treat it as such, it would be no different if you had taken the skin off any other part of your body in any other way .
You can put some savlon , germolene or some other similar cream on,and to prevent rubbing and to protect maybe a melonin dressing.

Oooh thanks so much everyone. I feel quite special that everyone is so concerned about me.

I'll phone the salon tomorrow and let them know and see what happens. Think I'll try and have an early night tonight and hopfully it won't be so painful in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your support!
Marion xx

OOOOhhhh:hug:

You poor thing.
Nothing to add really, as much has been said, but....
When I had a wound in that area - particularly under my belly (it was a ceasarian wound) which was not healing properly I was advised to blot with cotton pads with warm salty water, pat dry with clean towel, then lay on the bed with a hairdryer and dry the area thoroughly. Get as much air on it to help it dry up too!
You'll have to change your geeky name to 'Commando Geek!':hug:
Hope it heals soon, but definatley get back in touch with the salon.

Actually I don't think you should put an essential oil on anything weeping.

What to do about your soreness? Treat it like a scab or scrape. Aloe, some kind of creamy clay mask and a soothing ointment. If it is raw in a fold you have to try and keep air on the area as this helps the healing process.

what is a clay mask?! from what i imagine it to be, i think id rather put tea tree oil or lavender (will help it heal quicker) than that!!

i always use tea tree or lavender on burns, cuts and grazes.

Oohh thanks. I think my daughter has some tea tree oil. Will pinch it from her. Pants are off!

It's 3 strips of really sore skin. The one at the top goes across the way, so it must have been several strips together which made it, as I certainly don't remember her stripping it off sideways (which I know you shouldn't do) The others are strips along the groin/upper thigh. It's never happened before, although I've only had this area waxed maybe 6 times over the years. Each time it's been fine by the next day.

It isn't a burn, as the wax was a nice temperature when it went on. It feels like a burn though, really hot and sore. There is no obvious torn area, I think it is that there are a few layers of skin missing! The weeping is coming from over the whole red skin area.

Thanks for your responses! and sympathy!
Marion xx

tea tree oil is fab hun but put three to four drops into your bath with a cup of milk otherwise u are gonna sting sting and it is a rather strong essential oil, plus a warm (not hot) bath will clean the area with the help of the tea tree oil and soothe your soreness so much.
By the sound of what your describing i would take photos of the area and make a complaint hun. I am not a person to complain and in any waxing servise things do happen, but by what you are describing the therapist has repeatedly gone over the same areas. Because she has not cleansed the area or applied an oil to your skin hun, and literally waxed and waxed to remove the hairs,(more than likely she could not get them all out , so rather than stoping , assesing and more than likely grabbing tweezers she has just carried on. By constantly going over an area with wax and strips, she has not only removed hair but she has removed skin. Because she has removed skin ouch and not cleaned the area or anything u have now got an infection, which is ether in your folicles or through damage to the main structure of your skin.
Like lou lou said u need to go to your doctors hun for a course of antibiotics or antibiotic cream. In the mean time as lou suggested tea tree is a great antiseptic so put in a cool bath and have a nice soak. Making sure to completly dry the area after and if u can put nothing re-strictive on and to allow air to your wounds.
This therapist obiously is either extremly stupid or has not even qualified and has no awareness off the dangers and problems that can be caused from waxing. Yes accidents happen that some times are out of our control but this is beyond a joke.
I hope u get better soon hun, my heart goes out to u it really does and if u would like any help putting a letter of complaint together i and am sure many other on here will be more then happy to help. This therapist has gone against every rule in the book, i now it feels like a burn, which to be honest it will, a bit like when you have really grazed your knee, only difference here is they have given u an infection at the same time through neglect of hygiene, application, removale the works. uh it makes me soooo mad that people like this are allowed to continue to work. They either want banning from the industry or made to go on more training. sorry hun, me going on is not going to help , take care chic xxxx

Last edited:
I think it's unfair to say that the therapist is stupid. Sounds more like bad training. xxx

Who said anything about infection.all grazes weep thats what will form the scab and new skin.Dont scare the life out of her she is actually very unlikely to get an infection unless she has an impaired immune system.

Last edited:
sounds horrific. i had a bad experience with an intimate wax a few years ago and the pharmaist suggested arnica cream to help the bruising. dont put on anything open or weeping though, only one areas (if you have any ) that are bruised.

tig

Latest posts

Back