Sore skin on my hands (therapist)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose1994

Reaction score
my hands are really itchy and sore on my left hand I have a itchy dry patch that I assume is from where my hand is laid agains the manicure table so all the dust that's on the table I'm in contact with it I have started to wear gloves but so so itchy and sore what can I do

Also the tips of my fingers under the free edge my skin has split its all sore and not healing it's quite dry and thick to

What is this what can I do

Do you use L&P?

I'm guessing you use l&p as there wouldn't be much dust from a normal mani

I get this, I've tried all sorts, sudocrem helps it heal but you must protect your hands from whatever it is -it's acetone for me which is a pain as a nail tech lol but I now wear a glove on my right hand whenever I use an acetone pad, my fingers look like this at their worst [emoji652]️ but since protecting them they've been ok but slightest contact with acetone and they're off again. From itching to splitting/bleeding and hardening again takes about a month. Ooh I used Vaseline when they were really crusty, like 10 times a day
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463297552.740884.jpg

And do you mean the area on the back of your non-dominant hand (the hand you use for holding clients hands) the bit around the knuckle under little finger down to wrist bone? That's exactly what happens to me and I've found what works is applying a barrier cream ie sudocrem before client, and keep folding or replacing the paper towel so the area it rests in isn't dusty and making an effort to hold my hand just off the desk

Hope this helps x

This sounds like contact dermatitis. I get it when I paint with gel polish or IBX without gloves on. Just be meticulous with wearing your gloves. I don't take mine off until all my pots are away and I've cleared my table. Also vinyl gloves don't work for me, they have to be nitrile. Good luck, I hope they recover soon because I know how painful and itchy it can be xx

This sounds like contact dermatitis. I get it when I paint with gel polish or IBX without gloves on. Just be meticulous with wearing your gloves. I don't take mine off until all my pots are away and I've cleared my table. Also vinyl gloves don't work for me, they have to be nitrile. Good luck, I hope they recover soon because I know how painful and itchy it can be xx
Yes I have recently started doing acrylic nails and my hand and fingers have flared up so itchy :( I will make sure I protect my hands and use gloves all the time thanks for taking the time to reply x

I'm guessing you use l&p as there wouldn't be much dust from a normal mani

I get this, I've tried all sorts, sudocrem helps it heal but you must protect your hands from whatever it is -it's acetone for me which is a pain as a nail tech lol but I now wear a glove on my right hand whenever I use an acetone pad, my fingers look like this at their worst [emoji652]️ but since protecting them they've been ok but slightest contact with acetone and they're off again. From itching to splitting/bleeding and hardening again takes about a month. Ooh I used Vaseline when they were really crusty, like 10 times a day
View attachment 197194

And do you mean the area on the back of your non-dominant hand (the hand you use for holding clients hands) the bit around the knuckle under little finger down to wrist bone? That's exactly what happens to me and I've found what works is applying a barrier cream ie sudocrem before client, and keep folding or replacing the paper towel so the area it rests in isn't dusty and making an effort to hold my hand just off the desk

Hope this helps x
Thank you so much for your reply literally everything you have said related to me so much! My fingers look like that the skin cracks then is really sore then gets really hard and peels off so bad! I will make sure to use gloves and apply barrier cream such a pain! do you think it's down to using particular acrylic systems

I used to have this but since I've used Dermal lotion as a hand wash ( use the same as you would a liquid soap wash) & Diprobase I've never had it again x

Thank you so much for your reply literally everything you have said related to me so much! My fingers look like that the skin cracks then is really sore then gets really hard and peels off so bad! I will make sure to use gloves and apply barrier cream such a pain! do you think it's down to using particular acrylic systems

For me it's the acetone, also react to Dsolve as that's pretty much all acetone. I try different ways of holding acetone pads but nothing works

Do you get much acrylic liquid on your fingers though?

I'm not sure if the ingredients/components of different acrylic liquids varies by that much.

Just to add, I worked as a nail tech for 10 years before I became sensitive!

Yes it could totally be particular acrylic systems. This is exactly what happens to me when I come into contact with hydroxy ethyl methacrylate (hema). It's in a lot of monomers and gel products, including gel Polish.

I'm not saying that's what you are allergic too as there are many chemicals in nail products.

If you want to private message me I can explain my journey more to you.

Good luck x

Hi I'm a nail tech of 35 years. Developed contact dermatitis from irritants (monomers) never thought it could be acetone 🤔
I had to take a round of 20 days of prednisone and thought that be the trick. They were great but the minute I stopped the steroids they want to become hard and split. I'm a maniac about wearing barrier creams and gloves. It's a nightmare... hope you find relief and if you do please share.

After battling allergies to gels, I went exclusively to l & p. I finally found that I could use CND gel polish without incident.

In the last year I have changed all l & p clients to CND Plexigel without incident. The product works great, no lifting, ease of application and finishing. 48B5F137-E25D-4178-9B13-12CD1E1F9068.jpeg7C22D947-4C39-4075-A7FA-7B0F1155224A.jpegB3DF530E-7DFB-4360-B3FB-C4C43A6F1FE1.jpeg45B1B83C-4ED0-4DE4-ADB3-165DB6656814.jpeg
Best of all, no irritation for me.

Latest posts

Back