Sorry newbie question, again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle_Nails

Reaction score
Me again - sorry!

After my thread yesterday about my client's nails chipping, I've gone through my notes and done lots of research and developed these processes for the gel nails. Please could someone check over them for me and see that they're ok?

The only query I have is whether I need to put a base coat on when I've applied tips...?

Thanks in advance :) xx

GEL OVERLAY PROCESS
- Push cuticles back
- Shape nail tip
- Lightly file nail plate to remove any shine
- Clean nail with ‘prep & wipe’
- Apply primer to dehydrate nail
- Apply base coat - cap free edge {cure for 2 minutes}
- Apply colour coat 1 - cap free edge {cure for 1 minute for light colour/2 minutes for dark colour}
- Apply colour coat 2 - cap free edge {cure for 1 minute for light colour/2 minutes for dark colour}
- Apply top coat - cap free edge {cure for 2 minutes}
- Clean nail with ‘prep & wipe’ with clean area of wipe for each nail
- Wash hands
- Apply oil to cuticles

GEL TIPS & OVERLAY PROCESS
- Push cuticles back
- Cut and shape nail tip
- Lightly file nail plate to remove any shine
- Clean nail with ‘prep & wipe’
- Measure nail tip and stick on to natural nail
- File nail tip to blend into natural nail
- Cut nails to size
- File and shape nails
- Apply primer to natural nail only
- Apply base coat - cap free edge {cure for 2 minutes}
- Apply thin coat of builder gel over nail and tip - cap free edge {cure for 2 minutes}
- Apply thicker coat of builder gel to natural nail and stress area only {cure for 2 minutes}
- Apply thicker coat of builder gel to natural nail and stress area only {cure for 2 minutes}
- Check nail for ridges or arches and gently file/buff as needed to create a smooth surface
For French {assuming white tips were used}
- Apply two top coats - cap free edge{cure for 2 minutes each}
- Wash hands
- Apply oil to cuticles
For colour overlay
- Do I need to apply a base coat here??
- Apply colour coat 1 - cap free edge {cure for 1 min for light colour/2 mins for dark colour}
- Apply colour coat 2 - cap free edge {cure for 1 min for light colour/2 mins for dark colour}
- Apply top coat - cap free edge {cure for 2 minutes}
- Wash hands
- Apply oil to cuticles

Hi! I'm actually a newbie at gel nails and tips too. In my training when we were applying colour over the gel nail, we didn't apply the base coat, we just removed the shine and applied two coats of colour and a gloss topcoat :) hope that helps[emoji4]x

Am also new and your technique is what I was taught xx

If applying a UV cured colour coat it should fall under one of two application's

Colour over the natural nail - apply a base coat for optimal adhesion. The natural nail does generally not make a great adhesive base (may not apply to all UV systems)

Colour over gel (or other enhancement) then no base coat is usually required. However, the preceding coat must still have a textured surface, such as shaped with a 180 grit file. Any smoother and there is a high chance of shrinkage or peeling..

hope that helps

Latest posts

Back