SOS...done over?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm really struggling! It's a long story so grab a cuppa.......

Need to vent ......

I helped guide, support and encourage a fellow acrylic tech in my area to start trade to maybe help me out with the over flow of clients I could not fit in. She had a qualification and she took my advice and help and set up to trade! The only problem being now my clients belong to her as I threw In The towel and got a bit angry as my clients were 'better' friends with her.
In the area I live its a feeling like not what you know but whom you know so her popularity outweighs my own!
She put her price list up offering 20.00 a set where as I charge 30.00-35.00. I have been qualified for four years now and feel as though my time, efforts and enthusiasm has been wasted.
I've had to stop trading because the outgoings are more than incoming. And what annoys me most is that after me providing her with two sets of enhancements I feel as though she has been learning from me, she will ask me questions about how to and if she can buy things from me etc. she even uses the same products as me.

The way I see it I have two options:

1 let it go
2 launch an offensive attack which could turn into a war of the worlds like situation given the area we live (close community) but I'm ready for it so bring it!

I have already set some wheels in motion into an offensive but I have learnt to keep my cards close to my chest, in fact they are tucked into my bra and not even the hubby gets in there haha.

I really need help in terms of prices, do I drop my prices to match hers? I already offer loyalty discounts but might revise these to every 5th visit.

I also really don't know how to approach this lady anymore, I'm too open and honest for my own good which is my downfall! I suppose in a way I shot myself in the foot. How would everyone else approach this situation and this apparent nosey friend?

I just feel as though all my passion has gone and its made me very upset and frustrated! I feel really tearful all the time and can't even look at her Facebook page without being upset and angry!

Any help would be massively appreciated

Thank you all

Xxxx

I'm sure someone will be along to help more, but my initial thoughts are don't launch into an offensive...! What will that achieve exactly, other than for you to vent your anger/frustration? (Try kickboxing instead :) ) it certainly won't boost your business and it will unlikely dent hers.

I also think you shouldn't lower your prices to match hers - you have what she hasn't... Years of experience, so sell that to your customers. I'm sure they'll be back to you when they realise she doesn't know what she's doing (if she has to keep asking your advice she clearly won't last long, and with not much profit margin it won't be long til that happens!)

Remember... Cream always rises to the top! You don't need to play dirty. In my opinion it won't make customers want to come to you, and like you say, small town, everyone will know.

Keep smiling and try to weather the storm...good luck and keep us posted :) hug xxxx

I think you should keep your head down and continue to try and attract more business as even though this person is charging less, people want quality and will revert back to you for your experience. Rather than lowering prices might be worth doing deals just to encourage them back x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Couldn't have said it any better. lol Keep your head down, say nothing, get on with your work do not loose your dignity ... and you will if you retaliate in any way. Have faith in yourself and your abilities.

Thanks guys,

I meant an offensive as in a strategy to get clients.

I really doubt clients will change just because of the years under my belt (not many compared to some on this site) clients here seem to opt for either her or the nss down the road. Plus there's a lot of gossipy wives doing the whole she said blah blah blah ........ Yawn! Lol
I have taken the hint from these wives that I have a bad rep from the partner I used to have that provided gel nails (that weren't great) but yet no clients came to me! I think I have had 6 clients within the last 4 months.
Everyone here has a myth about gel being better so I am trying to educate clients that's its not any better than acrylic! We have one gel tech that everyone uses whom is unqualified but insured?! But now all clients wanting acrylic go to miss popularity lol

that's a bummer! small towns can be ruthless! grew up in one and never going back lol
Can you offer something that she doesn't do along side your L&P?
upgrade returning customers to a lux mani with their L&P with exfoliation, mask/paraffin, massage?

You seem to be talking about only enhancements in gel and L&P. Do any of you offer a gel polish? This is a different market and attracts different clients, I (and lots of others on here) have far more clients since introducing a two week manicure range.

Is this something you could look at or are you already doing it?

Offering something different might be the key. What about Minx?

Last edited:
Don't start a war. It won't win you clients, it will only put people off. Don't lower your pricing but why don't you try a KGB offer or something similar? That would definitely bring you new clients.

Military community's can be very much a popularity contest ,
but they are also an informed community ! when posted over seas are way more likely to read and look things up such as new products as they then know what to ask for hear in Germany .
alot of my clients new the reputation of Shellac before i got here but no body did it as sadly Germany was quite slow on stocking it! this was to my advantage ! (alot will buy & diy on the sly to )

so why not try a new product ? something she dose not offer ? I know Brisa lite will be here in Germany in March , or if you can make it to one of the beauty shows like this one ,you will probably be able to introduce your self and get it there , (if you haven't already then i really recommend going to german beauty show while your here they are very different to the uk ones , quite fun :) http://www.beauty.de/cgi-bin/md_beauty/custom/pub/show.cgi/Web-ExhDatasheet/exh_datasheet

don't get into a price war ,you will only end up miserable doing more work for less money , take a step forward and leave her ass behind . :lol:

Latest posts

Back