SOS, help my nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
OH my lord. I hope I’ve come to the right place- I need advice ASAP!!
I am currently in Sydney Australia, and we are in covid lockdown, and I used an at-home removal kit to take the SNS off my nails because our nail shops are closed.
However, I clearly may have filed them too much afterwards cause my nails are SO SO SI PAINFUL!!!! Like 🆘🆘🆘
Pleeeease does anyone have any tips on what to do?? I’ll attach a photo for reference!!
Thank-you 😭💖

Attachments

• 8CB7F05D-EDDF-41FB-8C1C-8560F486E971.jpeg
    8CB7F05D-EDDF-41FB-8C1C-8560F486E971.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
Omg ouch...definitely over-filed. They will grow back. Regular cuticle oil will help your nails grow back nice and healthy.

It might be helpful to trim them nice and short to reduce the risk of catching them

And don't buy another home removal kit😆 I've only ever done one SNS removal, never again. I don't know what it's made of, but omg it was like removing cement.

Omg ouch...definitely over-filed. They will grow back. Regular cuticle oil will help your nails grow back nice and healthy.

It might be helpful to trim them nice and short to reduce the risk of catching them

And don't buy another home removal kit😆 I've only ever done one SNS removal, never again. I don't know what it's made of, but omg it was like removing cement.
Okay you legend, thank-you!! I messaged my beautician and she made it dramatic like I might have to see my doctor if they get infected.. but they’re not cracked at all.. so I should be fine if I just try cutting them and using oil, like you said. Thank/you so so much!!

You have what's called "rings of fire" which are usually caused by careless use of an e-file. How you managed to do that on your own is quite amazing! It also appears that you might have the beginnings of some onycholysis on your index, middle, and ring fingers. But your nails and cuticles look otherwise healthy. You should avoid any nail enhancements for the next 4-6 months and allow them to heal and the damage to grow out. This filing has damaged the protective barrier on your nails, so wash your hands often, apply tea tree oil several times a day, and use an antibacterial ointment at night. You might try CND Rescue RX, Solar Oil, or Dadi' Oil (maybe CB Dadi' Oil!). Add a daily biotin supplement, avoid damaging chemicals, and protect your nails from any additional trauma. Keep your nails short. You can take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for the pain. If you show ANY sign of an infection, get to your doctor immediately.

Last edited:
You have what's called "rings of fire" which are usually caused by careless use of an e-file. How you managed to do that in your own is quite amazing! It also appears that you might have the beginnings of some onycholysis on your index, middle, and ring fingers. But your nails and cuticles look otherwise healthy. You should avoid any nail enhancements for the next 4-6 months and allow them to heal and the damage to grow out. This filing has damaged the protective barrier on your nails, so wash your hands often, apply tea tree oil several times a day, and use an antibacterial ointment at night. You might try CND Rescue RX. Add a daily biotin supplement, avoid damaging chemicals, and protect your nails from any additional trauma. Keep your nails short. You can take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for the pain. If you show ANY sign of an infection, get to your doctor immediately.
Okay I must just have arms of steel apparently to do this to myself. But now I’m stressed 😩 I will 100% do those things you just said.
Do you know particular signs of infection?? Are my fingers going to fall off?? I’m freaking out.

RELAX.
Your nails will be fine if you allow them time to heal. Over the counter painkillers will help in the short term.
Keep the nails clean and use cuticle oil regularly.
Any sign of infection, see your doctor ASAP but keeping them clean with no polish or enhancements will reduce the chances of an infection taking hold and spreading.

RELAX.
Your nails will be fine if you allow them time to heal. Over the counter painkillers will help in the short term.
Keep the nails clean and use cuticle oil regularly.
Any sign of infection, see your doctor ASAP but keeping them clean with no polish or enhancements will reduce the chances of an infection taking hold and spreading.
Okay thank-you thank-you thank-you. I’m a psycho, I’m sorry 😂 I will definitely do that. I appreciate your advice!!

Okay thank-you thank-you thank-you. I’m a psycho, I’m sorry 😂 I will definitely do that. I appreciate your advice!!
I doubt your fingers are going to fall off, but the signs of infection are pretty obvious - redness and swelling, discharge, excessive warmth, pain/sensitivity, etc. If you get that, go to your doctor immediately.

Yeah, it's hard to believe you did this to yourself. promise to be gentle with your nails from now on.

I could’t see the picture so do not know the extent or depth of filing, but I’ve found that occluding the nail helps with sensitivity. Use a regular polish clear base and top coat. It’s like a bandaid over the thin, sensitive parts.

Wait for the nails to grow off, so sorry this happened. Next time ask for a ‘soakable’ brand of gel polish.

I could’t see the picture so do not know the extent or depth of filing, but I’ve found that occluding the nail helps with sensitivity. Use a regular polish clear base and top coat. It’s like a bandaid over the thin, sensitive parts.

Wait for the nails to grow off, so sorry this happened. Next time ask for a ‘soakable’ brand of gel polish.
From what I have gathered from other replies, I’m guessing I did a decent job (not in a good way.. oops)
That’s an excellent idea. Will do right now.
I really really appreciate your help, thank-you so very much!! Xx

Wear gloves when putting your hands in water - like for the dishes.
Dilute tea tree oil before use with a carrier oil - it may burn if it's not diluted.
Look for a lower allergen nail polish - something without formaldehyde and toluene and the main ingredients that can cause allergies and irritation. When taking it off, be gentle, use a low acetone or no acetone polish remover.

Please don’t freak out!! Also you’re not a psycho. We all deal with the pandemic differently and I was also so focused on my nails. It’s boredom and the unknown that gives you things to think about and anxiety.

I’m a hairdresser but had worse happen to my nails upon the first shut down. I filed holes in them. Literal holes. And when they healed, I picked again!! Couldn’t help it. What I learned from these wonderful ladies is time heals all. You didn’t damage the matrix which is where the nail that grows under the cuticle region. The nail will grow back healthy. It does take awhile but you’re not going anywhere. I would invest in cnd oil. It’s the best. Rub that in like chapstick 😊 these were how bad mine were at one point!!! Months after recovering from my holes!!! Look how bad. Now they’re perfectly fine and I have on enhancements.

Attachments

• E21F8DF7-884D-4954-B23A-D4C16BE404A2.png
    E21F8DF7-884D-4954-B23A-D4C16BE404A2.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 071658AB-4112-4FEB-BD75-3E232A793951.png
    071658AB-4112-4FEB-BD75-3E232A793951.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back