spa manicure definition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siana

Reaction score
I have been qualified (VTCT) man/ped since Jan 07 and trying to set up my own business and have recently found this site - (very addictive) and reading through all these threads I realise I still have a lot to learn. This is worrying me. I have a few questions if you lot don't mind. What is the difference between a normal manicure and spa manicure. I am thinking of offering paraffin treatments - what do you do when your client is sat for the 15 mins while the treatments is in progress? sit and chat or can you leave them alone.(my studio is in the garden). How much can your charge for a paraffin treatment to hands and feet? I was thinking an extra £5 on top of man/ped price. Does this sound ok? I have been looking locally but none of the local salons have these priced on their lists. I have loads more questions but will save them for later!

I'd love to hear from anybody. Siana

Q - What is the difference between a normal manicure and spa manicure.
A - Spa mani's & pedi's are delivered as a luxury treatment.
The ingredients [actives] & base scents vary from product to product as does the routine in which they are used.
More active ingredients - A luxury treatment.

Q - I am thinking of offering paraffin treatments
A - Good idea

Q - What do you do when your client is sat for the 15 mins while the treatments is in progress ?
A - Use this time to tidy, remove towels, confirm or update client details.
As you become more familiar with treatments the more organised you become.
Some clients like to chill out, some like to have a chat.
In your situation I wouldn't leave the studio while clients are there.

Q - How much can your charge for a paraffin treatment to hands and feet ?
I was thinking an extra £5 on top of man/ped price. Does this sound ok?
A - A good starting point... as you progress you will be able to breakdown pricing on all of your services & products.

HtH

XX J XX

Thanks for your advice, it is all becoming clear! Another few questions if you don't mind. I normally do massage and moisturise then polish. Am I right in thinking the paraffin wax comes between the two. I have heard people say they do the massage after the wax. Is there a set procedure for this? We were told at college not to do paraffin wax and polish together but it seems people do. Is it best to wax with hot mittens and booties or are the terry towelling things ok? Cheers - Siana.

I would massage / moisturise then apply the heat ie paraffin or heat mitts to help the oils absorb, then a quick massage in of any excess moisturisers etc after removing the wax or mitts. You would need to remove excess oils from the nails before painting, we were told to squeak the nails..ie polish remover.

I wouldnt have thought you would need heat mitts with Paraffin wax, just wrap in cellophane and towels, but i always did Jessica manicures with just the heat mitts. I think at college they were meaning Paraffin treatments to be a deep moisturising, conditioning spa treatment so combining with polishes and removers etc would counteract the benefits...but most client want polish, even if just clear, and its all about keeping them happy and returning!

for the time your client is wrapped in what ever (its late) to kill this time, i gave the client a mini manicure or a facial massage, it takes their mind off the time and also fills your time - give it a go - you will be suprised flower

Thanks for your advice, it is all becoming clear! Another few questions if you don't mind. I normally do massage and moisturise then polish. Am I right in thinking the paraffin wax comes between the two. I have heard people say they do the massage after the wax. Is there a set procedure for this? We were told at college not to do paraffin wax and polish together but it seems people do. Is it best to wax with hot mittens and booties or are the terry towelling things ok? Cheers - Siana.
I apply a rich moisturiser before the paraffin, and then massage with a light lotion afterwards.
It's a good idea to apply moisturiser before the paraffin, as it will help the moisturiser penetrate.
If you want to polish, you just need to make sure you remove all the oils from the nailplate.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - I think I know what I'm doing now . This site really is invaluable - thanks guys. x x xSiana

Latest posts

Back