Spa therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle27

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some insight into spa work. I'm sure it's been asked a million times but I can't find anything.

Are there any spa therapists who love their job or are there any who have worked in a spa and hated it? What would a typical day be like?

I'm at a complete crossroads with the salon I'm in and what to do. I love facials and massaging so considering spa work but im dubious. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I worked in a Spa for nearly 4 years. By the end of it I just had enough massage. Hands, wrists and back were sore and i'm certain the damage is done long term. My hours were also variable and uncertain. I am now working in a salon - big change for me everything is much quicker pased but its good. Work is easier - physically i find, its all go but less demanding on your body. Also got much more training in the Salon. Tips were better in the Spa but the work wasn't always guarenteed where i was so now i have my set hours which means a lot. Do you every hope to open up your own place? If so then i would recommend you stay where you are. Do you mind me asking why you want to leave?

I worked at a spa and didn't enjoy it. I used to love massage before and by the end I hated it! Every client seems to want a full body massage and we used to do up to 6 a day! Very demanding physically but mentally very boring! Saying that the place I worked didn't have a huge treatment list so it wasn't hugely varied.

I worked in a Spa for nearly 4 years. By the end of it I just had enough massage. Hands, wrists and back were sore and i'm certain the damage is done long term. My hours were also variable and uncertain. I am now working in a salon - big change for me everything is much quicker pased but its good. Work is easier - physically i find, its all go but less demanding on your body. Also got much more training in the Salon. Tips were better in the Spa but the work wasn't always guarenteed where i was so now i have my set hours which means a lot. Do you every hope to open up your own place? If so then i would recommend you stay where you are. Do you mind me asking why you want to leave?

Hello,

Thank you for replying. I have heard this a couple of times but through friends of friends so wanted advice from a therapist who has had first hand experience.

There are a few reasons I'm looking to move on. I'm not working the hours I need financially, I'm contracted to 16 hours a week but im not doing anywhere near that. We have had a therapist leave us and our clientele has dropped dramatically to the point where I'm only doing maybe 4 clients all week. I've sat with my boss so much and gone in on my days off to talk about how we could maybe promote the salon and gain new clients and they aren't doing anything productive to gain new clients. My boss has gone on a couple of short courses to do waxing, eye treatments, lashes etc although she isn't beauty trained to do clients Im maybe to busy to do and because she now thinks she's fully qualified she's doing clients and we have lost 4 clients in the past couple of weeks because they are so unhappy with what she's done.

It's all very unprofessional and awkward as clients are telling me they are unhappy with her and not returning but I don't feel I can say anything to my boss as she is very sensitive and does not handle negativity well!

All quite stressful :(

I worked at a spa and didn't enjoy it. I used to love massage before and by the end I hated it! Every client seems to want a full body massage and we used to do up to 6 a day! Very demanding physically but mentally very boring! Saying that the place I worked didn't have a huge treatment list so it wasn't hugely varied.

Thanks for your experience. I did wonder if the might not be a variety of treatments

Aww that's hard. My advice is go on as many courses you can and look for work in another salon where you will be treated better. Spa work is tough and i feel there is more room to progress in a salon.

Aww that's hard. My advice is go on as many courses you can and look for work in another salon where you will be treated better. Spa work is tough and i feel there is more room to progress in a salon.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I will look into doing some courses next year and take things from there

I worked in a spa for a year. Yes it was hard work and very repetetive with alot of massage and facials however i found that the more treatments i became trained in (in house training) my days became alot more varied where i was getting days that i was only doing one of a certain treatment ie massage per day.

Hope this helps
Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I worked in a spa for a year. Yes it was hard work and very repetetive with alot of massage and facials however i found that the more treatments i became trained in (in house training) my days became alot more varied where i was getting days that i was only doing one of a certain treatment ie massage per day.

Hope this helps
Xx

Hi, thanks yes it does help. Can I ask why you only stayed for a year? Did you find it too much after a year. Thanks

I live in Glasgow and the spa was in the Scottish borders so had a 120mile round trip commute each day which gave my wee car a fair hammering. I also got stranded there a few times with bad snow.

If it was closer i'd have stayed - i really enjoyed working there.

Also stayed to get a written reference as the company wouldnt offer one until youbhad conoleted a years service.

Xx

I live in Glasgow and the spa was in the Scottish borders so had a 120mile round trip commute each day which gave my wee car a fair hammering. I also got stranded there a few times with bad snow.

If it was closer i'd have stayed - i really enjoyed working there.

Also stayed to get a written reference as the company wouldnt offer one until youbhad conoleted a years service.

Xx

Ah I see. Gosh I'm not surprised you decided to move on, that's dedication 120 mile round trip!
Thanks for your advice, I have a lot to think about and to be honest I'm thinking about leaving the beauty industry all together. I seem to have had a run of bad luck with salons but not worked in a spa before so I kinda think it's spa work or something completely different.

I'v only ever worked in spas and wouldn't dream of working in a salon.

However, if I'd asked here first, I probably wouldn't dream of working in a spa!!

Some places treat you like a machine but not all! I love the training I have had and love the luxury environment and luxury treatments I am able to give!

One thing I have found is large health club chain type spas are usually the ones that over work their therapist, so maybe try an independent spa or a high end spa.

Bottom line- everyone's experiences are different.

X

I'v only ever worked in spas and wouldn't dream of working in a salon.

However, if I'd asked here first, I probably wouldn't dream of working in a spa!!

Some places treat you like a machine but not all! I love the training I have had and love the luxury environment and luxury treatments I am able to give!

One thing I have found is large health club chain type spas are usually the ones that over work their therapist, so maybe try an independent spa or a high end spa.

Bottom line- everyone's experiences are different.

X

Thank you, yes very true however it's nice to hear a different side to this. The spa near me does seem to have a high turn over of staff, well I don't know for sure. They are always advertising so I'm only assuming.

Can I ask how you find massaging lots daily and how long you have been a spa therapist? :)

Thank you, yes very true however it's nice to hear a different side to this. The spa near me does seem to have a high turn over of staff, well I don't know for sure. They are always advertising so I'm only assuming.

Can I ask how you find massaging lots daily and how long you have been a spa therapist? :)

It's tiring, I'm not gonna lie. But I can honestly say, I love it! I find it a very rewarding job!

I'v been doing it for 3 years now and want to just keep moving upwards and keep training.

I am aware though that as a therapist, I have a shelf life. But I'm glad as I want to work my way up and possibly become a manager or a trainer. But I'm happy where I am now.

If you truly enjoy it and are self motivated with a positive, happy attitude you'll be great. I'v worked with the moaniest, negative people and would just walk away because it will just dull yourself and your work.

X

It's tiring, I'm not gonna lie. But I can honestly say, I love it! I find it a very rewarding job!

I'v been doing it for 3 years now and want to just keep moving upwards and keep training.

I am aware though that as a therapist, I have a shelf life. But I'm glad as I want to work my way up and possibly become a manager or a trainer. But I'm happy where I am now.

If you truly enjoy it and are self motivated with a positive, happy attitude you'll be great. I'v worked with the moaniest, negative people and would just walk away because it will just dull yourself and your work.

X

Thank you. A positive attitude goes such a long way. I have worked with therapists in the past who constantly moan and bitch about the job, the salon, the boss etc etc and that in its self can become tiring. I am a very sensitive person and you are right it does begin to dull yourself and your work if you absorb too much negativity.

I worked in a spa for 8 years.
Eventually it
Took it's toll on my body and my hands flared up bad with excema and I had a frozen shoulder. And because of all the massage, facials etc, I couldn't carry on.
I'm now self employed doing nails which i love.
However, I loved been in the spa!
The training I got there was amazing, in just a few years, I was trained in elemis, decleor, lava shells, Jessica, st tropez, Leighton Denny, shellac, and that's just to name
A few. I wouldn't of
Got that training in a little salon. Working
In a spa has made me the therapist I am
Today. It's tough work, and they work
You hard, but it's so rewarding. I worked 10.5 hour shifts, only
Got half an hour maximum for my dinner, I
Had to arrive in work 30 mins early to set up for
The day, and leave 30 mins late to get cleaned up, and there was no turn around time between clients. It's also very targets driven and you would most likely have big retail targets to hit.
But if I could do it all again I would, and if I hadn't been for my hands I'd probably still be there now.
You will
Get out of it whatever you put in.
If you want anymore Info, feel free to pm me, I feel I may have slightly rambled on here
X

I worked in a spa for 8 years.
Eventually it
Took it's toll on my body and my hands flared up bad with excema and I had a frozen shoulder. And because of all the massage, facials etc, I couldn't carry on.
I'm now self employed doing nails which i love.
However, I loved been in the spa!
The training I got there was amazing, in just a few years, I was trained in elemis, decleor, lava shells, Jessica, st tropez, Leighton Denny, shellac, and that's just to name
A few. I wouldn't of
Got that training in a little salon. Working
In a spa has made me the therapist I am
Today. It's tough work, and they work
You hard, but it's so rewarding. I worked 10.5 hour shifts, only
Got half an hour maximum for my dinner, I
Had to arrive in work 30 mins early to set up for
The day, and leave 30 mins late to get cleaned up, and there was no turn around time between clients. It's also very targets driven and you would most likely have big retail targets to hit.
But if I could do it all again I would, and if I hadn't been for my hands I'd probably still be there now.
You will
Get out of it whatever you put in.
If you want anymore Info, feel free to pm me, I feel I may have slightly rambled on here
X

Hi, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm in such a dilemma and really confused about what to do. It's really nice to hear some positive opinions about spa work as I've only really been told negative things, apart from a few therapists here who are positive.
I have lots of questions so may pm you! Hehe
Thanks again :)

It's a job with a shelf life because it's around minimum wage, antisocial hours and above all this it is physically damaging to do long term no matter how good your technique is.

Worth doing for the experience (career and life and people) but physically impossible as a long term aspiration unless you like the environment enough to want to be a manager.

Source: worked in three different spas. Wouldn't do it again. Physically past it. I also know a generally healthier younger colleague of mine (early twenties) who has carpel tunnel.

It is worth doing but most people hit a wall with it eventually.

It's a job with a shelf life because it's around minimum wage, antisocial hours and above all this it is physically damaging to do long term no matter how good your technique is.

Worth doing for the experience (career and life and people) but physically impossible as a long term aspiration unless you like the environment enough to want to be a manager.

Source: worked in three different spas. Wouldn't do it again. Physically past it. I also know a generally healthier younger colleague of mine (early twenties) who has carpel tunnel.

It is worth doing but most people hit a wall with it eventually.

Hi, thanks for replying. This was a concern to me with regards to how physically demanding it is and also would be looking for something or a place I can be long term and it did cross my mind as to whether spas are for the 'long term' so to speak.

I have been working in spas for 8+ years and this is me now...... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415995760.785322.jpg

Completely detached ligament which I had operated on last week with 3 nice metal wires in now holding it all together 😭 out of work for months recovering now 😩

Latest posts

Back