Spam warning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Just a bit of a heads up on an email that's going around at the moment from [email protected]

It's a spam email that'll infect you with a virus if you download the attachment.

I only mention it as it's a convincing domain name they're using, and it's not long since a lot of us did our tax returns!

But, it's spam, so feel free to delete it!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/gateway-reg.pdf

Thank you. It does look very real!

I have also had some scammers on facebook, I have had friend acceptance notifications from people I have never sent a friendship request to!

Nothing is safe these days.

thanks for the tip off carl x

Ekkk that's so realistic :/( thank you for the heads up

I have an email from this exact address! It says reminder of activation as I recently registered as self employed. What does the spam email say? I'm assuming mine was a genuine email as I did have an activation code in the post then this email followed.

I have an email from this exact address! It says reminder of activation as I recently registered as self employed. What does the spam email say? I'm assuming mine was a genuine email as I did have an activation code in the post then this email followed.

This email IS NOT genuine. HMRC will never e-mail you. They will only write to you. They won't even tell you activation code over the phone.

Oh no. Should I call hmrc then or have i got a virus? i opened the email on my mobile. I went to hmrc website after getting the email and put in my activation code.

Oh no. Should I call hmrc then or have i got a virus? i opened the email on my mobile. I went to hmrc website after getting the email and put in my activation code.

did you follow the link through the e-mail?

I have had emails from Government Gateway that are totally genuine. The rule of thumb is to not click any link from the email, so when it says 'click here to confirm your details', DON'T!!!

If you want to find if it is genuine, come out of your emails, and go to pay pal or your bank etc, and check that way!

I have just had loads of people via Linked In sending a link for joining a referrals group, and I'm so cynical I won't click on it!

Vicki x

I got the same email and I opened it too, on my iPad, as I have recently registered as self employed. I didn't click on the link though. I haven't received my activation code in the post yet. I don't seem to have had any problems, yet! What might happen?

I got the same email and I opened it too, on my iPad, as I have recently registered as self employed. I didn't click on the link though. I haven't received my activation code in the post yet. I don't seem to have had any problems, yet! What might happen?

By sounds of it, it 'might' be legit. But I know activation codes for HMRC are always strictly post only. They wouldn't email me one, tell me over the phone, nothing but post a new one out when I lost mine.

Any links don't click. Any downloads or attachments don't open. On your phone it might not do tooooo much. I would however change your e-mail accounts password ASAP as a precaution.

I
By sounds of it, it 'might' be legit. But I know activation codes for HMRC are always strictly post only. They wouldn't email me one, tell me over the phone, nothing but post a new one out when I lost mine.

Any links don't click. Any downloads or attachments don't open. On your phone it might not do tooooo much. I would however change your e-mail accounts password ASAP as a precaution.

I too asked for my government gateway code to be emailed as I had misplaced my paperwork. They asked me to confirm my email address, said that it was correct with their records but they wouldn't email it. I had to wait for the postman. I've just had the same thing happen with my self assessment tax return. I received two codes, called to find out what the correct one was, they wouldn't tell me on the phone or email but had to post it out! Again.Time wasting.

I don't know why they are so strict, it's not like someone is going to call up out of the blue and pay your tax bill or your NI contributions is it! !....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I

I too asked for my government gateway code to be emailed as I had misplaced my paperwork. They asked me to confirm my email address, said that it was correct with their records but they wouldn't email it. I had to wait for the postman. I've just had the same thing happen with my self assessment tax return. I received two codes, called to find out what the correct one was, they wouldn't tell me on the phone or email but had to post it out! Again.Time wasting.

I don't know why they are so strict, it's not like someone is going to call up out of the blue and pay your tax bill or your NI contributions is it! !....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

We can live in hope ;)

On a similar note, there are lots of emails going round which appear to be from HMRC requesting bank details so that they can repay tax that you have overpaid.

As tempting as a tax repayment is, it's a complete scam. HMRC will NEVER email you & ask you for that info so please be careful!

I had one this morning from HMRC email address was [email protected] - something very similar if not that, the email was explaining I was due a tax rebate of £934 all I had to do was open the attachment - I straight away googled HMRC tax rebate email and on the HMRC website it said we do not email about tax rebates and if we do get emails claiming we are due a tax rebate it is spam so luckily I did not open any attachment - and I haven't even paid that much tax yet so that's probably why I questioned it straight away!

Here's another one I got this morning from "[email protected]"

Again, seems legit but is totally bogus. I know we're all sensitive about copyright these days or SHOULD be *coughs*, but feel free to ignore this one.

"A company complaint was submitted to Companies House website.

The submission number is 7132308

For more details please click : https://companieshouse.gov.uk/Case?=7132308 <http://argomtech2.atwebpages.com/shiny/index.html>

Please quote this number in any communications with Companies House.

All Web Filed documents are available to view / download for 10 days after their original submission. However it is not possible to view copies of accounts that were downloaded as templates.

Companies House Executive Agency may use information it holds to prevent and detect fraud. We may also share such information, for the same purpose, with other organisations that handle public funds.

If you have any queries please contact the Companies House Contact Centre on +44 (0)303 1234 500 or email [email protected]

Note: This email was sent from a notification-only email address which cannot
accept incoming email. Please do not reply directly to this message.

Companies House
4 Abbey Orchard Street
Westminster
London
SW1P 2HT
Tel +44 (0)303 1234 500

Latest posts

Back