Special treatments licence?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiona17

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help with this as can't find the info on local council site. If I'm renting a space to do nails in a local salon who is responsible for the special treatments licence, me or salon owner? Ps I live in Angus, Scotland if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

I believe it is down to the salon owner, what type of salon is it? Nail and beauty or hair?

Do they already have a special treatment licence? If they do not require one (not all treatments need one) then I think it's down to you. However if they already have one then I think you could just be added to theirs. All they'd have to do is send off your info and certificates.

I'm a salon owner and it is under my name, so whatever treatments that are done in the premises that are required to have a licence then I'm pretty sure it would be down to me.

Contact your local council though as they will be able to help you x

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it is the salon as I work mobile and don't need it for that, however was considering a day in a local salon and I don't have nvq2 so don't think I can apply for one. Will try phoning council to find out.

The special treatment licence is for the premises and is required for any premises that's not your home or a clients this can vary from council and I'm not sure in laws in Scotland. The person who rents, leases or owns the property should be the named person on the licence and they are liable for all people working on those premises whether, employed, self employed or working free if the treatment is needed on the STL, the list for each council can be different and can require different training, round me and all round lower I'm Surrey and ondon it's nvq minimum 2/3 for nails and similar for other treatments, but you need to ring and check.

You can only have one treatment licence per premises and each treatment costs to be added.

Hth

I have been told today you need it even if you are mobile x if you do any of the treatments on the list x

Interesting thread!

What's in a special treatments license? I have skin piercing for Spmu, ear piercing, skin needling etc

You should be added to the salon's license but also if you work from home and even work mobile in some councils it may be mandatory that you register. My local council wants one for nails if you do a massage during manicure or pedicure. And if you do massage and facials it's mandatory too. I work out of gyms instead and I always have to go through head office to be added to their license.

The rules are changing and being enforced more now, I know in my area and across London and further afield you now need the special treatment licence for a home salon,log cabin/garage any type of conversion as it's a business meaning the council need to come in and check the premises/room has all requirements for health and safety, insurances, nvq cert etc. I know my area you need to be nvq qualified in mani/pedi, enhancements and other services.

I'm in process of opening a shop salon so had to look into all this so they told me loads, they did say so far mobile nail techs don't need one (my area) but they are looking into changing the regulations.

It's becoming a lot stricter which in my opinion is good, so hopefully they'll be less nss and non trained techs about.

Last edited:
What would happen then for techs who have done all their training with,say, CND? Would they need to go back and do an NVQ on order to operate?

I had to go and do my nvq so I could open a salon, my council won't allow you to work in one or open one without.

It's a shame you can't just be assessed and then awarded an nvq rather than go through all the learning again.

My council have confirmed they don't require one for nail / manicure.

Latest posts

Back