Speed of execution.........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat's Claws

Reaction score
I did a french manicure to a friend of the family and she was really happy with it and asked me if I would consider going to her office once a month or so to do the nails of the employees (mostly woman). Now I was all excited about the prospect of building up my clientele. I called today see what was happening on that end and my friend told me that I do an excellent job but I take too much time (1.45 hr) to justify taking time off for that lenght of time. I understand perfectly her point of view.....on the other end it brings me to examine closer if I'm being overly meticulous about the manicure itself before I apply color to the nail. So far all my clients have neglected nails, with ridges, eaten up cuticles, etc..... All of which take the longest time to fix before I can put on any color, are there tricks to speed up the prepping process other than the fact that I need to PRACTICE!!! I know I do an excellent job (no wonder after all that time spent) but it pains me to realize that I might have to sacrifice a bit my perfectionism while still meeting my standards of service. I just lost 3 potential customers on a speed issue... cry Has anyone "timed" themselves to see what is the average time taken in each step to prep the nail, perhaps I'm wasting time in particular areas that can be improved.

I am determined to find tricks that will bring down my average to 1 - 1 1/4
hour.

Is there anyone that can provide badly needed advise?

TY

Kat meow

anyone can give me a tip? Please? wink

Hi Kat - At first when I read your post, I skimmed and assumed you had done a full-set when I got to the time issue - so I went back and read it properly. To be honest I would say that that was a long time for a manicure - I don't know what you charge, but if this were me I would re-name this a 'Luxury Meticulous Manicure' - continue to do what you do but 'up' the price! Then I would consider doing 2/3 other types of manicure service - a 30 minute and a 50 minute or 1hr!! Price them accordingly but miss out some of your meticulous steps. CALL THIS LADY BACK AND THANK HER FOR THE VALUABLE FEEDBACK - THEN EXPLAIN (opps caps - sorry) that you now have 2 more versions of a manicure - give them cool names and tell her that the time issue is no longer a problem! I think this should sort the problem immediatley!! HTH's ;)

That makes admirable sense!!! Upon reflection I think since the office contract has the time issue suspended over my head, I think that the best way is to explain that I can do a descent manicure without fussing but for it to look their best it would be advisable to schedule an appointment at home (where I'm better equiped and the customer is not at work) for a "spring cleaning" (1 hour) "weeding the garden" (45 min) and lastly a basic manicure to ensure good application and overall esthetics. That way the ladies can come over lets say on a weekend at my home studio, not feel pressured by the time issue.

Another question pertaining to the "spring cleaning"? Is there a CN product that is made for major softening and exfoliation of cuticles, when I come across badly eaten up cuticles and dried and hard cuticles (some of which seem to have stuck on the nail plate itself). I'm using AHA cuticle eraser and solar oil and I'm still struggling and have to take the time to remove and push back slowly and carefully so as to not injure live tissues!

Lastly, does CN have a good ridge filler? I thought perhaps of reducing the ridges less than I normally do and finish the job with a ridge filler which would take less time to apply than the time it takes to buff away ALL the ridges.

Thank you so much for the advise Mrs. Geek

Regards,

Kat meow

They do C:u3 Renu - which repairs dry and cracked cuticles but I haven`t seen a ridge filler

TY Debs, I tried Opi's ridge filler and it gets too thick too quickly, its hell! If CN doesn't do ridge filler, which one have you tried that satisfied you?

Firstly I would definitely get your hands on some Cuticle Remover - this removes ALL non-living tissue from the nail plate and can be done at the very beginning of the manicure (also v. cheap). You are right to use Cutice Eraser & Solar Oil together - call it the Shampoo & Conditioner for nails!!! As far as a Ridge Filler is conserned, Debs is correct, CND don't do one but Revivanail do and CND do supply this in the States and Canada - maybe someone else can help here also!! ;)

Cuticle remover and Revivanail. I thought of getting solar butter and balm for bad cases also and place the hands in warm mitts for deep penetration, that way I'm letting the cream and cuticle remover do the job.

Thank you all, the advise is precious! )

Kat I'm interested whats involved in your manicure, my deluxe service takes 40-45 minutes including French Polish, This involves and nail shape and tidy, buffing of nail, Cuticle work (i.e. removal and massage of cuticile nourishing oil) then and exfoliating hand rub, followed by the massage of the hand and arm and finally the paint. Do you have more involved in your manicure than the above? Plus I never try and buff out ridges (this might be wrong) I just use Star Nails ridge filler and encourage more manicures to eliminate those ridges unless of course they are permanatment damage :!:

Fab Freak said:
Kat I'm interested whats involved in your manicure, my deluxe service takes 40-45 minutes including French Polish, This involves and nail shape and tidy, buffing of nail, Cuticle work (i.e. removal and massage of cuticile nourishing oil) then and exfoliating hand rub, followed by the massage of the hand and arm and finally the paint. Do you have more involved in your manicure than the above?
Hiya Fab Freak

My classic manicure takes me 45mins (£13.50) and my Creative Spa Mani probably takes me 1.15-30hr (£20.00)

I know that if I were to pay for a deluxe service I would expect it to last at least an hour otherwise I would feel like I had been short changed:cry: . I know that we are all trying to earn money, but at the same time I think we should also consider that this is a pampering experience for our clients;) .

Adele

Hi, I am training at the moment and am practicing to get my basic manicure to under 50mins, which is what the teacher advises. I can do a warm oil treatment and a paraffin wax treatment, which are my delux manicures. What i was wondering was what other treatments could i offer?
Also, I may sound really stupid, but i have never heard of cuticle eraser as i just use cuticle remover and find this a really good and cost effective way to remove all the dead skin around the cuticles, and also what is the solar range, i have heard it mentioned a couple of times so it must be popular, but i have never heard of it :o !!
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ta.
x
:p

Hi,
When i trained we were taught to do a manicure in 45 minutes. I think that you should always have a time limit to work to :) It makes life much less stressful.
Lesleyx

Hi there!

I set out a detailed schedule of work for my manicurist so she knows how much time she has for each manicure and which process to follow.

eg : mini manicure: shape, push back cuticles, handcream and toughen up.
Basic manicure: all above plus cuticle work, hand and arm massage and toughen up.
and so on all have a time attached to them, give your clients a choice we offer just a french polish on its own as some clients just want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back