SPF in skin care?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
Heres a thought geeks...:idea:

Whats your opinions on SPF factors in skincare?

Does it really matter?

Is it important to wear it in autumn and winter?

Does the ingredients of SPF compromise the ingredients of a moisturiser if it is added in that particular cream?...or should it be used on top of a cream?

Your thoughts would be appreciated,lets debate,lets have some facts id like to know more....come on!!!!!!!!!:eek::green:

Hey

Interesting thread...

When I was trained with Elemis, they said you should never use a moisturiser with SPF in, as the chemicals in the moisturiser ''kill off'' the moisturising ingredients.

However I now work with Dermaolgica and they have an SFF in thier new moisturisers.

I personally think, from what I have learnt through Dermalogica, that SPF is vital all year round, as UV rays are still present even though its not sunny. Doesn't an SPF protect from free radicals as well?

From what I have also seen is that you shouldnt use low SPF but from the same point you shouldnt use high SPF. I dont know the exact figures but a factor 60 protects you hardly any more than factor 30, but the chemicals are almost double - who wants that?

I also think that if you're client uses an SPF all year round, it justs makes it easier for them because they get in a routine, and saves them swapping products.

Just my opinon though,

hth

Becki xx

Hi, you probably know this already. Products with an SPF in them are thicker, so can be pore clogging, and you shouldnt use them near the eyes.

And ideally use them all year round.

Whats your opinions on SPF factors in skincare?

Does it really matter?

Is it important to wear it in autumn and winter?
It most definitely is important where I live...

I know it isn't directly skincare related and I didn't buy a branded product, but, I bought a lip balm the other day and made sure it was a SPF 25 (and no less) as even in the autumn/winter the sun can be strong here.

Good thread :green:

I and my clients religiously apply spf 30 daily even over the eyes, I have very oily skin, prone to congestion if I do not treat it properly and the sun protection I use doesn't clog pores or affect eyes as it is the right consistency (not heavy or sticky). I have amazingly noticed wrinkle reduction in clients who start to use sun screen and clients with sensitive skin have noticed a reduction in sensitivity.

Sun screen is my number one favorite product! Prevention as they say is better than cure! :lol:

I actually use boots "Simple" face protector hydrolotion. It offers UVA and UVB protection and has active antioxidants and hydrators too. I have not yet found a professional formulation that I find light enough unfortunately as I would love to retail a good one. I like the simple one as it has minimal ingredients and no smell!

I always thought the reasoning behind not using a moisturiser with SPF in was because you may not get such a good coverage with the moisturiser mixed in and you want the sun protection to sit more on the surface whereas you want the moisturiser to penetrate deeper. I would love to see some evidence of sun block ingredients "killing" other ingredients.

I think people need to see it as protection from UV rays rather than from the sun. The UV is present even in winter and is one of the main causes of premature ageing. What's the point in usng this and that cream if all the work is being undone by exposure to the elements!

I think sun protection is the most important thing in skin care.

You've hit on a passion of mine, great thread!

It most definitely is important where I live...

I know it isn't directly skincare related and I didn't buy a branded product, but, I bought a lip balm the other day and made sure it was a SPF 25 (and no less) as even in the autumn/winter the sun can be strong here.

Good thread :green:
....its not only UVB rays that burn,its the UVA rays that AGE the skin....even on cloudy dreary days here in the UK:irked:.

People tend to forget and say..."oh well i go red,then pink then brown,so yes i do tan"...well thats still dangerous surely...when a skin goes red,then the DNA is then damaged for life,and you can be more suseptible to skin cancer,surely??

I think ill stay white and porcelain:green:

I personally prefer to apply a seperate SPF cream,this is just my preference.I wear it on top of my moisturiser

My personal recommendations are to always wear a SPF cream,winter or summer,spring or Autumn..the application of SPF 15 or higher is recommended to all clients(when carrying out any skin/facial treatment)

There are a lot of make-up and moisturising products on the markets that contain SPF.I think that IF they weren't as effective blended together then they wouldn't be approved.

Melanoma(skin cancer) kills many people,not just in hot,sunny countries but all over the World,for example in the US one person dies every 65 mins(yes this statistic was Googled)

I would like to see everyone regularly(daily) using SPF protection, be it seperate from their cosmetics,moisturisers or alone.Just wear it please,I see the damage in my elderly sun worshippers,it's scary stuff I can tell you.HTH

really we should see tan as an UNHEALTHY thing - you dont like burnt toast (most of us anyways) so why would you like burnt skin?

really we should see tan as an UNHEALTHY thing - you dont like burnt toast (most of us anyways) so why would you like burnt skin?
...exactly...ive even on the odd occasion,when weve been on holiday,and ive seen people with burnt skin,kindly offer then my SPF 25 or higher...:eek:

My husband has told me in certain words to "keep my mouth shut"....but im always diplomatic...:)

Some people prefer SPF to be in their moisturisers, others not, it is really just a matter of preference. SPF will help prevent skin ageing as the sun is the MAIN cause of ageing to the skin, but to rely on the SPF in skincare alone is probably not wise, especially if you are constantly walking around in hot sun. However, I am not sure that this is so important in the UK's Autumn and Winter rays!

Some people prefer SPF to be in their moisturisers, others not, it is really just a matter of preference. SPF will help prevent skin ageing as the sun is the MAIN cause of ageing to the skin, but to rely on the SPF in skincare alone is probably not wise, especially if you are constantly walking around in hot sun. However, I am not sure that this is so important in the UK's Autumn and Winter rays!

I do believe that SPF is still important during the Autumn and Winter months. I believe that lots of experts recomend it during these times too.

UVB rays=Burning
UVA rays=Age

So isnt it the UVA rays that exageratte ageing is it not....even on a cloudy day the sun can still penetrate throught the clouds:)

Yes I believe we should be wearing SPF all year round. I have to say I have seen very few moisturisers for oily skin (if any!) that contain an SPF so in my case I would have to use a seperate one but as my foundation contains an SPF 18 im ok :)

One thing I will say is that in the make up range I use both of the powders have an SPF in them but the liquid minerals doesn't, the reason being that the manufactorers believed that by adding the SPF this would compromise the anti ageing properties (one of the main benefits) so there is no SPF.

Is it Elemis that also advise it compromises the ingredients ?

Yes I believe we should be wearing SPF all year round. I have to say I have seen very few moisturisers for oily skin (if any!) that contain an SPF so in my case I would have to use a seperate one but as my foundation contains an SPF 18 im ok :)

One thing I will say is that in the make up range I use both of the powders have an SPF in them but the liquid minerals doesn't, the reason being that the manufactorers believed that by adding the SPF this would compromise the anti ageing properties (one of the main benefits) so there is no SPF.

Is it Elemis that also advise it compromises the ingredients ?
As far as im aware,yes Juliette.

Academie have a seperate SPF cream aswell,personally i use this on top of my day cream,if i dont wear mineral make up.

I want to remind everyone that for SPF to be effective all day it needs to be reapplied, especially in the summer when the sun is stronger and if you know you are going to be outside for any length of time. I get sick to death of people saying "my moisturiser/foundation has SPF 15 so I'm alright". Yes the moisturiser contains SPF but it wears off, if you put your cream on at 8am it will be no good by lunchtime because the sun breaks down the SPF, obviously this would apply to people that spend the majority of the day outside, people sat in an office all day it wouldn't be so bad. There are SPF creams on the market that claim to last longer but I personally wouldn't want to take that risk. I'm not trying to offend I'm just expressing my opinion like everybody else!:green:

Latest posts

Back