Split in Natural Nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, i have recently done infills on a client and after removing one extension i noticed that her natural nail had a split in the free edge. I was concerned that this may split all the way along the nail plate if not looked after properly.

I told her about it and said that i would put an extension on and that it should grow out.

She has since removed her extensions her self as i was on holiday and she had lost one and the split is still there.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this something i have done wrong to cause this? And what advice should i give her now?

Many thanks
Brooke x

Hi Brooke

I have very weak nails and have this myself when i remove my extensions, i simply cut free edge short and file to shape, carefully as weak, then put a new tip on and yes it does seem to grow out, safely under the tip.

Interested to hear from more experienced Nail Technicians as to their experiences though

kx

Brooke said:
Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, i have recently done infills on a client and after removing one extension i noticed that her natural nail had a split in the free edge. I was concerned that this may split all the way along the nail plate if not looked after properly.

I told her about it and said that i would put an extension on and that it should grow out.

She has since removed her extensions her self as i was on holiday and she had lost one and the split is still there.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this something i have done wrong to cause this? And what advice should i give her now?

Many thanks
Brooke x

This can be caused by many things such as;

Over blending of the tips
Over blending of the natural nail
Nail extensions to long, to thick or to thin
Client picking or biting her nails
Re-balence over due
Incorrect removal by client or tech of the extensions

It has happened to my own nails a few times, so i trim my free edge down and apply another tip, so it grows out. Its cause i never rebalence when i should, just dont get the time!!
:)

Thanks guys i feel better now...

Her rebalance was well overdue!!

Brooke x

I've also had this happen to me and i caused it by either not rebalancing when i should, or if i've caught my nail, split it and don't soak it off, i then pick it off, which is the WRONG thing to do but that usually makes the free edge split, so it's probably the fault of the client if she chose to pick them off. If they are left alone, then enhancements will help it by protevting it till it grows out.

Latest posts

Back