Split nails under acrylic! Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieSmooch

Reaction score
I have a client that has acrylic backfills regularly, never had any problems. Last appointment she came in with a split right across the centre of her nail underneath the acrylic, she had knocked it and it just split horizontal half way down her nail bed, I soaked it of and the nail tip just came off no problem. This time she has come in and the same has happened to another nail, I removed this nail and applied on a overlay. I don't understand why it's happened though? It's as if her nails are so so thin that they are splitting but in general her nails are in great condition :/

She is putting too much pressure on them and they are breaking at the stress area.

Clients often look after their nails initially and as the weeks and months go by they take their nails for granted.

Maybe look at the length are they a little longer than usual? extra length will cause more pressure at the stress point of the nails, you could recommend a shorter length and maybe build the apex slightly thicker to help strengthen the nails in her stress area.

One of my clients told me she wanted a new set after her 2nd backfill.. When I called her to make the appointment she said her acrylic overlays had just split after she had been to Iceland and was looking for frozen foods in the freezer! She was due for a fresh set as her overlays had been on for 6 weeks! She told ,me she had just removed them herself... as she had a hospital appointment..... Just thinking maybe she didn't want to pay for a new set??? Previously she had been very satisfied with her nails. Sometimes I get the impression that some clients think Gel/Acrylic overlays with or without extensions will last forever!! Has anyone else had similar experiences??

Latest posts

Back