Split toe nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdn

Reaction score
I have a client whose big toe nail has a vertical split running from free edge towards cuticlearea ..it stops half way down nail. She says it appeared after hiking, isnt sore. Any ideas what it may be and if gelish is ok to go on it

I have a client whose big toe nail has a vertical split running from free edge towards cuticlearea ..it stops half way down nail. She says it appeared after hiking, isnt sore. Any ideas what it may be and if gelish is ok to go on it
Hi Jdn. If this is a long term condition ( 6 months or older ) then it is perfectly safe to apply soft gel polish to the area. If the split has appeared recently and there is evidence of injury with redness and possibly pus then no don't apply gel polish. It all depends on the type of split? Usually the split is due to an old injury that changes the matrix cells which then continue to divide in a manner that never properly recovers leaving a long term condition of the split. There are other medical conditions that would cause a nail to split but this would be more likely if more that one nail was split.
Hope this helps X

Thanks pittas. She has had it a few months and no infection showing.

It should be OK to paint but advice your client if she see changes in the toenail i.e signs of infection or irritation then she should return to have the gel removed but generally if she has had for a few months then there should be minimal risk x

Latest posts

Back