Split toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyJess

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a hairdresser so have practically no idea about nails hence this post! I have an issue with my toenails that I've always just accepted as normal to myself (thanks for the wierd toenail genes Dad 😂) but as time goes on starting to question whether it is normal...

I've attatched 2 pics of my toes (apologies, they look ghastly without polish. And I know my nails need cutting). Pic 2 is normal photo. Pic 1 has red lines drawn on showing where the nails split. Every time without fail I get little horizontal splits just where the white bit of the nail starts. Makes cutting in a straight line very awkward! Sometimes just the surface of the nail and sometimes full thickness. When they're polished then the coat of polish keeps it flat so the split bits don't catch or rip. However I worry all the time about getting ingrown nails.

So my question to the nail techs out there.... What can I do about this? Why is it happening? How do I make sure they don't ingrow? I know I need to visit a podiatrist or chiropodist but really don't want to while the rates are so high. Any advice gratefully appreciated 😊 Thanks!

Attachments

• _20210113_164733.JPG
    _20210113_164733.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC_3221.JPG
    DSC_3221.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 46
Did you visit the podiatrist in the end? This is the best bet.

If they are splitting where it looks like they are, it is very close to where the natural nail leaves the secure haven of the nail matrix and sidewalls, and becomes a free edge.

If the nail is dryer that usual (often a case for toes) then this can cause the splitting.

In my humble experience, toenail free edge can be notoriously brittle.

Trying regular use of a nail oil suited to you could be helpful and that old cliche (sorry 🤣) of hydrating yourself more.. drinking more water x

Last edited:
I’d agree- daily cuticle oil to the whole nail followed by a foot cream to hydrate and increase flexibility of the nail.
Have you considered wearing wider fitting shoes? If you shoes are applying pressure on the toes it may be encouraging flexing of the nail leading to the splits.
Do they split less in the summer when wearing open toed sandals all day?

From the pictures it looks like you aren't a likely candidate for ingrown nails. A nice flat nail with plenty of room at the side walls. Try not to file the sides of the nails, just the free edge.
Sometimes the great toe will grow like a clam shell with obvious or slight ridges. As those slight ridges grow they can tear along the edge at the weaker place in between.

Wow, thanks so much for all your replies guys! Very helpful and informative 😊

RachelGGN - Thanks for the explanation, I have to say your advice did make me laugh as I never drink enough water and is something my Mum is continually saying to me 😂 So yes that could very well be the issue. I will probably also book an appointment with a podiatrist once our covid levels are a bit less crazy. 😊

CFBS - Right I will think I'll look into a nail oil, and yes my feet are quite dry and need creaming a lot more than I remember to 😐 To be honest I don't really wear sandals more than a couple of hours a week in the summer (I have insoles and therefore need shoes that hide/contain them) and it hasn't really changed over lockdown when I've been at home more and wearing shoes less anyway, but thank you for the advice and I'll be looking into an oil now 😊

jlsdds - Thank you for that reassurance, I do worry about it quite a lot so to have someone who knows what they're talking about tell me it's not likely is a HUGE help. Good point about the filing too, thank you for that 😊

Thanks so much everyone 😊

Message Deleted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back