Spots after hair removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslelly2020

Reaction score
Please help! What's causing this?
Every time I remove the hair from my top lip I come out in small white head spots!
It happens when I use hot wax so have turned to threading but it still happens. I've also tried not using the aftercare lotion and I've also tried taking an antihistamine before. I usually try not to wear makeup at all for 12 hours. Really not sure why it's happening or what I can do about it, it's so frustrating I don't want to have to choose between a hairy lip or s spotty lip! [emoji15]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463725273.761452.jpg
the photo doesn't look as bad, but it's quite noticeable in real life [emoji85]

I have a client who gets this on her lip and chin after waxing.
We solved it by applying a 1% hydrocortisone cream immediately after waxing. No more spots.
You can buy the cream from supermarkets - just look for an insect bite cream and check the ingredients. Cost around £3 -£4. As you only apply it once thinly there are no problems like you get with daily use of much stronger % creams.

If you are not keen to use this try camomile essential oil but it will cost you more.

Could also maybe try applying sudocreme. It works for a lot of my clients

Xx

Yes, Sudocrem is good stuff too for more generalised redness but not specifically an antihistamine.
For those who like to know the nitty gritty...

The key ingredients in Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream are:
  • Zinc oxide, which reduces the loss of tissue fluid
  • Anhydrous hypoallergenic lanolin, an emollient which soothes and softens skin
  • Benzyl alcohol, which has local anaesthetic and antiseptic properties that help to reduce discomfort

Last edited:
Great thank you all xx

It's a histamine reaction , you are not reacting to the wax or any of the aftercare products. Your body is over reacting to the trauma of the hair being pulled out , the reaction try's to heal the skin as quickly as possible causing white heads. It usually goes away with regular waxing and is pretty common. If I leave my lip longer than 4 weeks I'll break out.

I use the Waxperts wonder pads the night of a wax and it always stops my breaking out, they are a great little retail item :)

Latest posts

Back