Spots after waxing - what can she do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marioned

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if any skin geeks could give advice.

My daughter has twice waxed her upper lip using those strips with wax you buy in the chemist and both times after a few days two or three large spots start coming up. These are big red ones with a white head. (Yuk!)
Is there anything she can do to avoid this? She cleanses first and uses a bit of oil on her skin when waxing to stop the wax adhering to her skin.

I know what you will recommend, "go to a professional"....I've said several times, but she wants to do it herself. I just feel so sorry for her with these whoppers on her face, so any recommendations?

Thanks for reading,
Marion x

Hi!

Well, i would first of all tell her that she must stop the DIY waxing and go to a professional because that is probably why she is getting those spot.

I would apply generous amount of aloe vera gel or cream, tell her not to touch the spot and certainly not squeeze them!!!

I hope this helps :hug:

Thanks Sandra,
I know, I'd not be doing it DIY either, especially with the result! She's being very good with the spots and nursing them along well. LOL

She WILL be using the wax again, if I know her. Is there anything she could do to stop the spots appearing?

Marion x

If she does insist on doing her own waxing here are a few things she could try afterwards ...

She should avoid applying make-up to the freshly waxed area;

Only apply an after-wax gel (ie pure aloe vera gel) not her ordinary moisturiser which could irritate the sensitive skin.

Avoid touching/picking the just waxed area.

She could try a dab of tea tree oil on the spots but above all I'd say leave them alone to heal and don't do any more waxing until they have healed.

Hope that's of some help x

Thanks so much Stampy, I'll pass on your info too. I don't think she'll be doing any more waxing on top of those spots! They look very ouchy! LOL
Marion x

It's a mystery why some people get these and some don't....it's just sebum but nevertheless, shedoesn't want them. Tell her just wash her face with a face wash and leave it alone. Sometimes less is more. xxx

How old is she and does she really need to be waxing.I know she must feel she has something there but if she is adolescent the hair can often go on its own.
Bad waxing can seriously set up many problems for the future ie more hair as she will almost certainly be waxing a wider area than she needs to so she may be encouraging normal downy hair to become stronger or poor technique may snap hair.Ingrowing hairs from poor technique.Pulling of the skin without proper support so leading to skin damage, pigmentation and premature lines and slackening.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. We are looking at them now and she says "Unfortunately I'm no longer an adolescent..." She's actually 27!
She's taking on all advice, except the one about going professional unfortunately!
Kim, I need to get that wax course booked, so I can then do some more training with you!

I wouldnt stop waxing. But I would get a professional to do it. These pimples will settle and the reaction should reduce each time she waxes the area.

Sometimes when you dont remove the wax quick enough this can also leave stress to the area. Applying a cold compress to the area should help. Keep up with the waxing the more you do it the reaction will reduce.

hth

Last edited:
Hi there,
if you told your daughter that it is too risky to have these whoppers on her face where everyone can see them would she change her mind and go to a professional? :irked:

Hi Marioned
Some of these superstore brought waxing strips contain ingredients that can irritate the skin.

Before i trained and Qualified, i used these waxing strips once to remove some unwanted hair on my top lip & chin (due to the fact I'm on HRT) and ended up with the dreaded big whoppers the next morning from my neck ,chin ,top lip and round my nose ..not very pleasant:rolleyes: a bit more extreme than your girl. Aloe Vera does help it cools it down, tea tree is anti-bacterial.

It's better to have hair removal done by a professional..the therapist warned me about using these D.I.Y waxing strips and in-fact she was horrified and told me off..i felt like a little school kid that this young 22 yr old girl gave me a bit of a nagging:eek: but spoken like a true professional

believe me your girl will find it so much nicer to have it done professionally....rather than have the continuous cluster of spots with using shop wax and problems with her skin.

gotta say, even waxng my own with strip wax gave me tiny little spots. last time i did it with non strip wax, no spots. no idea why to be honest. but im glad as id been putting it off for ages cuz ididnt wanna get the spots!!

Latest posts

Back