Spots on upper arms?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettylady

Reaction score
id be surprised if anyone could help me with this but worth a try, i have for years now suffered with goose pimple like pimples on my upper arms, they feel rough to the touch and look reddy - anything out there to get rid of them?
theyre so ugly!:rolleyes:

My son has this...
We call it 'chicken skin' but it's also known as Keratosis Pilaris... hopefully the skin geeks will be able to help more.

Here is some information on the condition. I would recommend using Footlogics as a treatment. It's designed as a foot care line, but has many other uses as well... It contains urea witch is a humectant and would work excellent on the keratosis pilaris.

Keratosis pilaris is a harmless skin disorder that causes small, acne-like bumps. Although it isn't serious, keratosis pilaris can be frustrating because it's difficult to treat.
Keratosis pilaris results from a buildup of protein called keratin in the openings of hair follicles in the skin. This produces small, rough patches, usually on the arms and thighs. Though quite common with young children, keratosis pilaris can occur at any age.
Many people are bothered by the goose flesh appearance of keratosis pilaris, but it doesn't have long-term health implications and occurs in otherwise healthy people.
Keratosis pilaris usually resolves without treatment. But if you're concerned about the appearance of your skin, your doctor can help you determine the best course of treatment, which includes self-care measures and medicated creams.

Keratosis pilaris causes small, acne-like bumps, which usually appear on the upper arms, legs or buttocks; they usually don't hurt or itch. The bumps create rough patches and give skin a goose flesh or sandpaper appearance. Typically, patches are skin colored, but they can, at times, be red and inflamed.

Keratosis pilaris can also appear on the face, where it closely resembles acne. The small size of the bumps and its association with dry, chapped skin distinguish keratosis pilaris from pustular acne. Unlike elsewhere on the body, keratosis pilaris on the face may leave small scars.
Though quite common with young children, keratosis pilaris can occur at any age. It may improve, especially during the summer months, only to later worsen. Gradually, keratosis pilaris resolves on its own.

Keratosis pilaris results from the buildup of keratin — a hard protein that protects your skin from harmful substances and infection. The keratin forms a horny plug that blocks the opening of the hair follicle. Usually many plugs form, causing patches of rough, bumpy skin.
Why keratin builds up is unknown. But it may occur in association with genetic diseases or with other skin conditions, such as ichthyosis vulgaris or atopic dermatitis. Keratosis pilaris also occurs in otherwise healthy people. Dry skin tends to worsen the condition.

No single treatment universally improves keratosis pilaris. But most options, including self-care measures and medicated creams, focus on softening the keratin deposits in the skin.
Prescription medications used to treat keratosis pilaris include:
  • <LI class=doublespace>Ammonium lactate (Lac-Hydrin). Available in a cream or lotion, 12 percent ammonium lactate reduces roughness and softens the keratin plugs. It won't, however, lessen the redness caused by the condition. <LI class=doublespace>Urea (Carmol, Keralac). Urea moisturizes and softens dry, rough skin. It also helps loosen and remove the dead skin cells. Side effects include redness, stinging and skin irritations. <LI class=doublespace>Topical corticosteroids. These anti-inflammatory drugs help decrease cell turnover by suppressing the immune system. Low-potency corticosteroid ointments are usually recommended for sensitive areas such as your face and for treating widespread patches. Doctors usually prescribe corticosteroids for short-term treatment or for temporary relief of symptoms. They aren't used as long-term treatments because of potential side effects.
  • Topical retinoids. Derived from vitamin A, retinoids work by promoting cell turnover and preventing the plugging of the hair follicle. Retinoids may be an effective treatment, but they can cause bothersome skin irritations, such as severe dryness, redness and peeling. Tretinoin (Retin-A Micro, Avita) and tazarotene (Tazorac) are examples of topical retinoids.
Using a medication regularly may improve the appearance of your skin. But if you stop, the condition returns. And even with medical treatment, keratosis pilaris tends to persist for years.

Although self-help measures won't cure keratosis pilaris, they may help improve the appearance of your skin. You may find these measures beneficial:
  • <LI class=doublespace>Be gentle when washing your skin. Vigorous scrubbing or removal of the plugs may only irritate your skin and aggravate the condition. <LI class=doublespace>After washing or bathing, gently pat or blot your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains on the skin. <LI class=doublespace>Apply the moisturizing lotion or lubricating cream while your skin is still moist from bathing. Choose a moisturizer that contains urea or propylene glycol, chemicals that soften dry, rough skin. <LI class=doublespace>Apply an over-the-counter product that contains lactic acid twice daily. Lactic acid helps remove extra keratin from the surface of the skin.
  • Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air inside your home. Low humidity dries out your skin.

Thankyou for the thread and all the information,
I have this too, have had it since i was about 9 years old..
I often pick at them too :confused:
I have them on my upper arms and upper thighs on the outsides...not good !

Hi

My daughter has this on her upper arms and face and as she is 12 is now very concious of it. I took her to the doctors and he gave her cream which i must say made a real difference when she used it regularly (only once a day) but as soon as she stopped it came back. The cream does work as long as you use it every day.

Shelley

wow - some great advise, il try the footlogics, thanks..
yes i too have had it from a child, ive grown used to it now, dont know what its like to have smooth arms as ive never had them..maybe theres a litle hope now for me - so thanks again!!:hug:

body hydrating cream by dermalogica is excellent for combating signs of K.P.

My mum, sister, my daughter and myself all have this and we thought it might be hereditary.
However, I've discovered that by exfoliating every other day in the shower and drinking more water - it's gone (or is greatly reduced).
I use one of those nylon spongey buffers and my sister and daughter have found it a geat help too.
My mother, who's 73, uses a rough flannel (!) :rolleyes:
HTHs

wow - some great advise, il try the footlogics, thanks..
yes i too have had it from a child, ive grown used to it now, dont know what its like to have smooth arms as ive never had them..maybe theres a litle hope now for me - so thanks again!!:hug:

If you use the Footlogics, get the Cracked heel forumla. It contains 25% urea.

Ive had this for about 20 years. Mines really settled down since using proactiv about 2 years ago. When I use the moisturiser on my face, I then rub my hands on the top of my arms to get rid of any excess cream off my hands so I have accidently helped with clearing up my arms too. I still have it but no where near as bad.

id be surprised if anyone could help me with this but worth a try, i have for years now suffered with goose pimple like pimples on my upper arms, they feel rough to the touch and look reddy - anything out there to get rid of them?
theyre so ugly!:rolleyes:
Hello!
Ok, first of all there are a few reasons for this;
Hormonal
Dry Skin
Just one of those things
Ingrown hair follicles!
Hormonal changes in the body can affect this, for example pregnancy or a change of pill! Spots on the upper arms are common in teenagers!
Dry skin can also be responsible, but unfortunatley some people are just more prone to this, i would say it depends on the way the skin shedds itself or the size of the pore or hair follicle!
To help I would advise, body brushing every day (prior to getting in the shower) followed by a body lotion which contains a high percentage of AHA! (MD Formulations do a good one)That May help!
Good Luck :rolleyes:

I have this! I'm 16 and have had it since the age of about..8 - 10? I can't really remember because I wasn't conscious of my appearance then!
But now it completely shatters my confidence. I'm going to try the footlogics idea, nothing has worked so far. Even the urea cream I have from the doctors - believe me I've tried everything! I really feel for anyone else with it...it's just awful :(
Thanks for all the advice though! This is a really great site..x

Last edited:
MD formulations face and body scrub. Its fantastic! I use it for my chicken skin and it works every time.

I am 23 now and Ive had this on my arms and thighs as long as I can remember. My mum and sister have it too. Sometimes it is more inflammed than others, I dont see a pettern though. I quite often sit and pick the little pimples, which makes it look even ugglier!
It never used to bother me, but lately it really has, because when I go out with my friends and we have our little tops on they have such lovely, smooth, soft skin and mine looks quite bad; so a few weeks ago I decided to go to the doctors, and he didnt know what it was, said it looked like Folliculitis which is an infection in the hair follicle, but he said it couldnt be, because I wouldnt of had it for so long, so he decided the best thing was to send me to a dermatologist at the hospital, I've got my appointment on the 8th of this month, so I'll let you know what he says!

When my daughter was young I was at the doctor's with her for another complaint and asked about the bumps on her upper arms. He recommended putting SURGICAL SPIRIT on it. Needless to say I didn't take his advice. This was the same doc who walked my mum from the kitchen, where she was lying on the floor after passing out, to the livingroom to wait for the ambulance when he did a house call and diagnosed a suspected heart attack.

hey, i've read the ideas on the chicken skin bumps on the arms, and there are a few things i'm going to try, as i've had this forever and i'd like to make it look alot better. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the redness? there are spots that don't have the chicken skin, it is just really red, like a sunburn, but it's not a burn. it's red enough that people comment on it alot. Does anyone have any ideas on getting rid to the redness? Thanks so much.

lisa

Hi

In my experience of working in a clinic, we used products that have glycolic acid in which work really well on KP. Skin brushing with a dry flannel or a body brush before showering regularly will help to slough off dead skin. Using corse salt or sugar mixed with some oil can be used as a natural exfoliator.

HTH

OGT:)

Here is some information on the condition. I would recommend using Footlogics as a treatment. It's designed as a foot care line, but has many other uses as well... It contains urea witch is a humectant and would work excellent on the keratosis pilaris.

Keratosis pilaris is a harmless skin disorder that causes small, acne-like bumps. Although it isn't serious, keratosis pilaris can be frustrating because it's difficult to treat.
Keratosis pilaris results from a buildup of protein called keratin in the openings of hair follicles in the skin. This produces small, rough patches, usually on the arms and thighs. Though quite common with young children, keratosis pilaris can occur at any age.
Many people are bothered by the goose flesh appearance of keratosis pilaris, but it doesn't have long-term health implications and occurs in otherwise healthy people.
Keratosis pilaris usually resolves without treatment. But if you're concerned about the appearance of your skin, your doctor can help you determine the best course of treatment, which includes self-care measures and medicated creams.

Keratosis pilaris causes small, acne-like bumps, which usually appear on the upper arms, legs or buttocks; they usually don't hurt or itch. The bumps create rough patches and give skin a goose flesh or sandpaper appearance. Typically, patches are skin colored, but they can, at times, be red and inflamed.

Keratosis pilaris can also appear on the face, where it closely resembles acne. The small size of the bumps and its association with dry, chapped skin distinguish keratosis pilaris from pustular acne. Unlike elsewhere on the body, keratosis pilaris on the face may leave small scars.
Though quite common with young children, keratosis pilaris can occur at any age. It may improve, especially during the summer months, only to later worsen. Gradually, keratosis pilaris resolves on its own.

Keratosis pilaris results from the buildup of keratin — a hard protein that protects your skin from harmful substances and infection. The keratin forms a horny plug that blocks the opening of the hair follicle. Usually many plugs form, causing patches of rough, bumpy skin.
Why keratin builds up is unknown. But it may occur in association with genetic diseases or with other skin conditions, such as ichthyosis vulgaris or atopic dermatitis. Keratosis pilaris also occurs in otherwise healthy people. Dry skin tends to worsen the condition.

No single treatment universally improves keratosis pilaris. But most options, including self-care measures and medicated creams, focus on softening the keratin deposits in the skin.
Prescription medications used to treat keratosis pilaris include:
  • <LI class=doublespace>Ammonium lactate (Lac-Hydrin). Available in a cream or lotion, 12 percent ammonium lactate reduces roughness and softens the keratin plugs. It won't, however, lessen the redness caused by the condition. <LI class=doublespace>Urea (Carmol, Keralac). Urea moisturizes and softens dry, rough skin. It also helps loosen and remove the dead skin cells. Side effects include redness, stinging and skin irritations. <LI class=doublespace>Topical corticosteroids. These anti-inflammatory drugs help decrease cell turnover by suppressing the immune system. Low-potency corticosteroid ointments are usually recommended for sensitive areas such as your face and for treating widespread patches. Doctors usually prescribe corticosteroids for short-term treatment or for temporary relief of symptoms. They aren't used as long-term treatments because of potential side effects.
  • Topical retinoids. Derived from vitamin A, retinoids work by promoting cell turnover and preventing the plugging of the hair follicle. Retinoids may be an effective treatment, but they can cause bothersome skin irritations, such as severe dryness, redness and peeling. Tretinoin (Retin-A Micro, Avita) and tazarotene (Tazorac) are examples of topical retinoids.
Using a medication regularly may improve the appearance of your skin. But if you stop, the condition returns. And even with medical treatment, keratosis pilaris tends to persist for years.

Although self-help measures won't cure keratosis pilaris, they may help improve the appearance of your skin. You may find these measures beneficial:
  • <LI class=doublespace>Be gentle when washing your skin. Vigorous scrubbing or removal of the plugs may only irritate your skin and aggravate the condition. <LI class=doublespace>After washing or bathing, gently pat or blot your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains on the skin. <LI class=doublespace>Apply the moisturizing lotion or lubricating cream while your skin is still moist from bathing. Choose a moisturizer that contains urea or propylene glycol, chemicals that soften dry, rough skin. <LI class=doublespace>Apply an over-the-counter product that contains lactic acid twice daily. Lactic acid helps remove extra keratin from the surface of the skin.
  • Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air inside your home. Low humidity dries out your skin.
wow, this is amazing and very informative hun, thank u for that xxxx:hug:

Hi there,

I came across this site sometime ago in my search for further information on this depressing, annoying condition that just will not go away. I have had KP for as long as I can remember, but only decided to do something about it earlier this year.

In my quest to find the perfect product that will help cure, or at least clear this condition I have spent many hours searching for the 'one product' that would work. I have also spent quite a bit of cash too, but in doing so have always hoped that one of those products coming across the ocean, mainly from the US would be the one...

Products tried but have failed to make any difference were:

MD Formulations - Moisture Defense (UK)
LAC-HYDRIN FIVE - Moisturizing Lotion (US)
Paula's Choice with 2% beta hydroxy acid (think this was from Spain)

BIO SKINCARE (US) Now, this did help for a short time by eventually it came back. It’s also very expensive. Here's the Link: http://www.biocutis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

And finally,

Snail Cream (Helix Aspersa Muller) very similar to the BIO SKINCARE, but far cheaper and available here in the UK from Holland&Barrett.

I wanted to share my experience and knowledge with you and whoever else may be in this situation and try and save some of you some time and money.

But, I do have some good news :) which I thought was only right that I share with you because this one product has given me back some confidence with my arms and has allowed me slowly to gain some confidence back in wearing what I want and allowing me to fill confident and sexy again.

I saw this product at the back of loads of magazines and thought I'll give it a go, after all I feel like I've tried so many things so gave my last hope to this product.

It’s called Derma Sponge available from www.gorgeousskin.co.uk . It’s a form of Microdermabrasion that you can carry out at home. I have now done it 4 times and have seen such an amazing change in skin texture. I can run my hands up and down my arms without that horrid ‘chicken skin’ feeling.

One thing though, although the roughness has disappeared the red spots are still there, but I'm hoping in time that they will also disappear.

Please check out the website before you buy. I am not a doctor or anything similar, it is just a product that seems to work for me and I honestly felt that it was only right I join this forum and try and help others in similar situations.

Good Luck and honestly hope it helps you too. :hug:

Latest posts

Back