Spray tan 13 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat.

Reaction score
Hi

Need some advice..

Just had an email from a potential new client askin for a spray tan for herself and a child (13 yrs old)!!

Is this something i should say no too?? Or is it okay?? My instinct is no but am i wrong?? Or should i check with insurance company..

Just need some advice really as ive done tanning in my previous salon but have never been asked to spray tan a teen under 16 so im unsure what to say!!

Any help much appreciated :)

I would do it but yes check with insurance and get a signed parental consent form! X

As long as you have the parents permission (which I would get in writing) it will be fine. I was recently trained by fake bake and that is what they said. Think of all the children who have spray tans for dance comps etc.

I would deffinatly check with your insurance but if you do go ahead with it, get their parent or gaurdien to sit in on the treatment just to make sure!

Okay.. Thanks Guys :)

I will call insurance company on weds and double check and i think they want to come together so will make sure she stays in the room and will make sure she signs to say shes happy to go ahead with the treatment!!

i have done 14/15 year olds. i found a specific tanning consent form online and got the parent to sign it, no problems at all doing, you just find they are a little shy at getting undressed. hth

Thankyou :) i have offered them appointments but have explained i will be in touch asap if its not possible.. I have also explained the parent will have to sign to take full responsibility!!

Yep, provided ur insurance covers you go ahead, we do loads of girls for dance comps (younger than 13) and just charge depending on their size, with their parent in the room. Xx

Going by my sister who is 13, she probably wants one herself. I have spray tanned my sister before and her friends (which I can appreciate is a bit different from an actual paying client) they love it and your unlikely to have any problems. Things to look out for are acne or problematic skin and to remember that teenage girls hormones are unlikely to be entirely "level" so any oddities could be down to this.
x

Thanks for all your help.. Am goin to ring insurance on weds and find out.. Fingers crossed there wont be any problems :)

I spray tanned loads of young girls in the salon, some for dancing comps, etc and others for holidays/events/weddings/parties etc and some just because they wanted one!

After checking your insurance, which shouldn't be a problem, make sure you get signed parental consent, and, really important, make sure you have an appropriate adult in with you and the juvenile at all times to protect yourself from any allegations thereafter. I found that most young girls would come in their bikinis and didnt want an all over tan, but protect yourself at all times anyway.

These young girls will become your future clients, so dont patronise them or treat them like kids. And, they are usually great at recommending you to their friends.

Good luck.

I spray tanned loads of young girls in the salon, some for dancing comps, etc and others for holidays/events/weddings/parties etc and some just because they wanted one!

After checking your insurance, which shouldn't be a problem, make sure you get signed parental consent, and, really important, make sure you have an appropriate adult in with you and the juvenile at all times to protect yourself from any allegations thereafter. I found that most young girls would come in their bikinis and didnt want an all over tan, but protect yourself at all times anyway.

These young girls will become your future clients, so dont patronise them or treat them like kids. And, they are usually great at recommending you to their friends.

Good luck.

Great advice thankyou.. Hadnt thought of some of that..!! X

Insurance wont cover me.. Bit of a shame :( Thy wer a bit rude actually lol.. She spoke to me like i was nuts when i asked!! But ive explained all to client so just waiting to hear from her..!!

Insurance wont cover me.. Bit of a shame :( Thy wer a bit rude actually lol.. She spoke to me like i was nuts when i asked!! But ive explained all to client so just waiting to hear from her..!!

Oh no :-( who's your insurance with? X

Its with ABT.. When she said about it i asked about waxing and other treatments and she said aslong as thers parental permission its fine but spray tanning is only 16+!! I wasnt impressed with her attitude really..!!

Its with ABT.. When she said about it i asked about waxing and other treatments and she said aslong as thers parental permission its fine but spray tanning is only 16+!! I wasnt impressed with her attitude really..!!

Oh no :( that's a bit random? That everything else is ok but not tanning??? :/

My insurance company (salon gold) say its down to manufacturers guidelines, if they say it's ok then you're covered !!! X

Hi,

This is interesting. Clearly you need to be insured so you must check this.

From time to time we deliberately run Mother and Daughter campaigns. The mother is charged but the daughter is free. The idea is to get young people to understand the damage they do to their skin on sunbeds and to encourage a safe tanning regime from an early age. Mums really like it, as their daughters tend to take the word of tanning/beauty professional more seriously that their mums just saying no to sunbed use.

We did some research on the ages and I seem to remember that most of the daughters were 15 / 16. Mums who took up the offer really were keen on the educational value.

I would call and speak with someone else and ask what the logic is that you can wax etc but no tan? You could do much more damage with a wax than a tan. Give me strength!

I would call and speak with someone else and ask what the logic is that you can wax etc but no tan? You could do much more damage with a wax than a tan. Give me strength!

My thoughts exactly!!!! A 13 year old could go and buy a fake tan from a shop so it seems rather odd. As long as you have parental permission and do a patch test i really cant see a problem xx

I know i thought the same.. I may try and ring tommorow and speak to someone more helpfull.. I did ask even if i had parental consent and she just said No..!!

Thankyou for all your replies!! Will double check again tommorow but if its a no theres not alot i can do really!! A little annoyed about it!!

Love the idea about mother and daughter tanning :)

Latest posts

Back