Spray tan assistant....busy busy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taralass

The Tan Room
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

Has anyone taken on a tanning assistant?
I am thinking of taking a girl on and putting her on the tanning course etc just so i can free up my evenings and see my children!

I am planning on letting her use my tanning studio/solution etc etc, she would sort her own insurance and for every tan she will take £5 (not bad for a 17 yr old....poss £45-50 a night for 2 hours work) This will be for 2 nights a week as i am still planning on doing one night myself.

This way i am still making a wage, seeing my children and not letting my clients down.

She would take out her own insurance policy and do her own tax.

Any advice please?

Hi

My advise is to make sure that you get her on a good spray tanning course then make sure that she then sprays lots of people practice makes perfect!!!!! You want her to be as good as you are so that you dont end loseing clients!!!!

Good luck I hope it goes well!!

Leela Jackson
Sunless solutions Sales manager

Thankyou Leela

There is a local company in my town called Carlton Institute they do the tanning course and i have heard they are very good and yes, i think i will need to see her spray a fair few people first.

I think you need to be aware that she may well be classed as an employee for tax and legal purposes. This means you would be liable to pay PAYE tax and National Insurance contributions for her, with all the associated paperwork and expense, and also that you are in a position where you would have to have some awareness of employment law and her rights - plus insurance as an employer.

Take a look at the HMRC guidance on what an employee is for this purpose - you cannot simply label someone as self-employed and say she has to sort out her own tax. It doesn't work like that. Be very aware of the risks and implications if you go ahead with this - here is some guidance on what points to an individual being an employee for tax purposes: HM Revenue & Customs: Employment status

Aside from all of that, what happens when this girl realises that she could invest a couple of hundred quid on her own kit and take all your clients....? I think it would be madness to do this to be honest.

I do agree with emsys last part, about taking your clients. You've worked hard to build your client base, don't let someone ruin that for you, my motto is don't trust no one but yourself x

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

No I think she would end up nicking your clients.Especially as she hasn't any child ties chances are she will learn the ropes get a place and off she would go especially if you work a fairly small area.When it comes to spray tanning clients are not that loyal.

Thank you ladies...

As to her pinching my clients we would get her to sign a contract protecting my business. The girl i have in mind has been a family friend for a long time now and is at college studying law so I dont think she would want a career in tanning but I know you can never be sure.

I dont want to turn my customers away and loose them completely but I am missing out on putting my children to bed etc and they are still young. Maybe i need to consider selling my business?

I personally dont think this is a good idea. Not only do clients come to you coz they like the certain solution you use etc, but they also come to you because, well, you are YOU.

They problaby like the way YOU make them feel, the way YOU apply, the way their tan turns out. If I was a client of yours and I had been to you previously for a tan and loved the results, I wouldnt be happy if some 17 year old child started spraying me insteda of YOU. I have a feeling you will lose many clients. I know its problaby not what you want to hear, but that is just my opinion

Haha, you never know though, I used to be a solicitor and I worked out that I could earn more doing spray tanning evenings and weekends than working part time weekdays in a law firm simply because of the cost of travel and childcare! :D If she's planning a career in law, she has a lot of years of study ahead of her - and those years are not cheap. Spray tanning would be a great way of helping to fund it...

The issue of her being an employee is a serious matter though - please read the HMRC guidance and think carefully before you consider passing work to anyone in the way you suggest.

Thank you ladies...

As to her pinching my clients we would get her to sign a contract protecting my business. The girl i have in mind has been a family friend for a long time now and is at college studying law so I dont think she would want a career in tanning but I know you can never be sure.

I dont want to turn my customers away and loose them completely but I am missing out on putting my children to bed etc and they are still young. Maybe i need to consider selling my business?

What time do you work in the evening? I also have small children, aged 9, 6 and 2.5 and I put my youngest to bed at 7 then work and my husband puts the other 2 to bed. I work in our spare bedroom so I don't have to go anywhere which is handy. It is hard but I think as the other poster said, you may lose clients if you let someone else do them either by her taking them or just because they want you to tan them!:sad:

I start at 6.30pm and finish about 10pm ....most evenings mon-fri. I refuse to work wkends however having the assistant would be a bonus as she can do wkends.

I just want some family time back, missing put them to bed, helping with homework etc. I dont finish my daytime job until 6pm so i dont have the after school time with them either. All this to pay a mortgage :(

Why not have someone work with you whilst you are there but do less hours? I agree with the other comments - you really need to oversee this girl and keep tabs on your business. I ended up not offering evenings anymore as I found it conflicted with family life too much.

Sent you a pm xx

Latest posts

Back