Spray tan client has fainted on me TWICE!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a client that I see every few months when she is home from uni for a spray tan. The last time I did it a few months ago, during the tan she said she felt faint, I helped her to a chair and opened the outside door, got her water and got her to eat some banana to up her sugar levels, after actually fainting on me and cutting her arm open etc all was ok and I left her with her mum and advised to wash the tan off asap before it develops as she was still half tanned! So left without even thinking about payment, anyway it happened again this week, same situation, half way through the tan she feels faint, this time we didnt get as far as the door before she fainted and really hit her chin as she fell in my arms, Im not a big person and she is tiny but so heavy to catch, again I did as before, kept her cool, waited for her mum to return from work etc, as we chatted we figured out the fainting was likely to be down to panic attacks, I myself suffer from them so completly understand how she was feeling, I think being in the tent in a small space makes her panic hence bringing on the attack....Again after a good chat I gave her a hug and left, again I didnt ask for payment after all I really feel sorry for her..But my problem now is that she wants to try again, I did suggest on leaving that if its a dry day we do the tan outside without the tent which is faine if she doesnt faint again but what if she does! I dont want to sound heartless but I am there each time well over an hour keeping her calm etc and no way would I charge for the 1st or 2nd time it happens but Im starting to wonder what to do on this 3rd occassion?!?!! Thanks geeks

I definately wouldn't do her at all.If you think about it what is happening is actually really dangerous.She has already cut herself and hit her head what next.
I especially wouldn't do her if she comes to your house what with public liability etc and im sure your insurance company wouldn't want to know as she had fainted twice before and you still did her.Sounds like a contraindication to me.

I would do it.

BUT, I would very kindly explain that you haven't charged for the previous 2 failed attempts as you were sympathetic with her situation but that you really will have to charge this time regardless of the outcome.

I would also insist her mother is present and that she eats something before hand, toast, banana and maybe even ask her to eat some chocolate!

Perhaps you could make a little joke and say would you mind awfully paying me in advance only you don't want to riffle through her handbag when she's unconscious!

I don't do spray tans but could you do the front then have her sit down and breathe then get back in the tent to do the back?

Good luck whatever you decide!

Do you do lotion tan too? If so that might be a better option for her as she will be in a more open space x

I made sure she had eaten prior to tan the last time which she had, she said its as soon as we stop talking she gets panicky, I understand that from panic attacks too, I said to her next time to make sure her mum or a friend is there. Its not the tan thats making her faint its being in an enclosed space, hence the suggestion to do it outside on a dry day. I am mobile and use a spray tan, I know once you have had a panic attack that in that situation again it can trigger one if your mind is able to think about it, the best option it to talk constantly but not so easy over the noise of a tanning machine. I would never do a tan on her again if there wasnt someone else there, for my own benifit as much as hers. If I had know it would happen the second time I would of made sure some one was there then but like I said I only ever see her every few months, it was nearer 6months this time so didnt even cross my mind! My problem is now using my time and losing earnings!

I wonder if she is holding her breath?
I would say that if you do decide to try again, have her mother present.
If spraying outdoors make sure it isn't windy as that will drift the spray away.

I would check with your insurance company before you do anything. If something happens and she gets injured they may well ask if it has happened before. See what they say.....

If it was me I wouldn't do another spray tan on her. Apply a manual product for her instead.

Sarah

Latest posts

Back