Spray tan client made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I did a spray tan on a new client yesterday. Last week we done a patch test and consultation and I explained the % to her (8,10,12&14%).
I said my most popular is 12% and she was all shocked and said she's only ever had 10% so we went with that and I said if it's not dark enough at least she knows she can go to 12/14.
So she came in yesterday and had the spray. The tan I use seems to dry so quickly even though I do 2 coats & I actually find this great as the client can get changed pretty much straight after.
When I'd finished I asked her to step out of the tent and I removed the sticky feet/hair net. She said aren't you going to dry me with a hairdryer??
I said no it's dries very quickly if you feel your skin it isn't wet, she was like oh normally I get dried off, I said I can if you want but with the hose from the machine and it won't be warm.
So after a bit of faffing she got dressed and I went through and gave her the aftercare sheet.
She said she's never been told to wash the tan off with plain water before (no shower gel) for the initial rinse off. I just explained that probably all salons do it differently and are taught different ways of tanning and advic to give.
She kept looking in the mirror and said "do you think you've put enough on? I don't look any different!" I said yes I've done 2 coats which I do on everyone. She lifted up her skirt and said "I haven't got any colour" then she moved her knicker line and could see she obviously had a darker colour!
I don't know if I'm over thinking but it was like she knew better than me and questioned things and when I answered her she just stared at me like she didn't believe I knew what I was actually doing.
She's also not actually going on holiday til next Saturday and explained she wanted to be ready for that! I did explain its not gonna last 2 weeks. She questioned again why it wouldn't as all other tans she's had before have lasted that long or longer!!
I've never heard of a tan lasting that long?!
She said she moisturises a lot and i said this is really good to keep the tan and it won't wear off as badly/patchy. Do you think a spray tan could last at least 2 weeks even if you're a good moisturiser?
What do you think of the things she said to me? It's really made me feel like I don't know what I'm doing even though I do and no one else has questioned how I do things! Thanks

Eugh she sounds painful! You will always get 1 or 2 clients like this. All you can do is be confident and provide a good service. If its so different else where then maybe she should go back to them. People like that just drain you and are usually not worth the hassle. :)

Clients that have been elsewhere for other treatments often like to come in like the expert!!......"aren't you going to dry me?" "The other lady did it like this!" BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! Anyway your the pro you know what your doing, but I would of told her Upfront the tan would no way last that long!...7-10 days is what I tell my clients dependant on variables eg how often they shower, whether they moisturise etc. I reckon it'll be 1 of the following scenarios:-
1. She'll moan!
2. You'll never see her again!
3. It'll be the best tan she's EVER HAD!!!

Chin up sounds like you dealt with it well, never doubt your knowledge or let these clients unsettle you! X

Thankyou both. That was the main thing that bothered me-her thinking it will last "at least 2 weeks or sometimes even 3" and then questioning why mine wouldn't, I did have to say I've never known or heard of that before! It put me under pressure even when I explained myself I felt like i ended up rambling cos she kept looking at me like she wanted me to say more!
Wonder what she will think of it! Urgh I'll let you know if I see her again. X

You should have said "oh yeah, 2-3 weeks if you never wash" ;)

Hahahaha yes then it gets darker as it's actually just dirt [emoji9]

People like this can be so frustrating,making you feel as though your treatment is inferior to somebody else's...but if the treatment somewhere else was so great, why are they looking for a new therapist?!

I have a small handful of clients like this! Just think if it was that fabulous down the road she would be down the road still!!

The likeliness is her tan has never lasted that long and she knows that as much as you! You did fab don't let it wobble you xx

Sounds like she was just being hard work on purpose ! U did everything right and don't let her bother u. Wouldn't even spend another minute thinking about it. Just one of those people.
Think of all the tans you've done and clients that have loved them [emoji4]x

Latest posts

Back