Spray Tan Cocktails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Some time earlier this year when watching an American programme when it was mentioned in a Tanning Salon about a Spray Tan Cocktail, where the client has a sun bed session first and then has a Spray Tan.

I have also seen it mentioned on a Tanning Salon website recently and I am just curious as to what is the benefit of doing the combination of Sunbeds and Spray Tanning.

Does it improve the finished colour? is there any adverse affects of doing this? etc etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Hiya, I do them at the salon.
I saw them on Sunset tan and the staff started having them and we were all so pleased with the results, slowly clients started asking for them too,

One of the most popular services now!

The only thing is... I do phase 1 as the spray tan and phase 2 as the sunbed. (vertical tanning unit not laydown)

I Can't see it working the other way round as can't moisturise before spray and if you don't use lotion you lose the % of the uv bed power

The spray tan acts as the moisturiser and the base the bed gives extends the tan.

Out of all the spray tans i do, 75% are cocktails.

I saw them on Sunset tan and the staff started having them and we were all so pleased with the results, slowly clients started asking for them too,

The only thing is... I do phase 1 as the spray tan and phase 2 as the sunbed. (vertical tanning unit not laydown)

I Can't see it working the other way round as can't moisturise before spray and if you don't use lotion you lose the % of the uv bed power

The spray tan acts as the moisturiser and the base the bed gives extends the tan.

Thanks Tammy

It was sunset tan that I saw them on a while ago too.

If my memory serves me right they did the sunbed first then the spray tan, and I also wondered too like you that you wouldnt be able to use the sunbed creams before the spraytan.

So what is the benefit of doing this as opposed to just having a spray tan done? does it intensify there colour? Does the colour work deeper/last longer and if so how does this work? Would there be any benefit of say having a sun bed then half a day/or day later have the spray tan done? I am just trying to get my head around what effect this has on the skin.

:hug:

Perhaps there are some Spray Tan Trainers/Sunbed manufacturers can help with the technical side.

Bump

Is this somethng that people have never really heard of before or something that has no benefit to the skin.

As you know i'm not a skin geek.

But with all due respect,i thought spray tan selling point was sunless tanning with no detrimental effect to the health of the client.

So how has this come about to be popular ? I thought peeps were promoting spray tan and trying to phase out the sunbed

Thanks x

I promote the other way round....
Anyone asking to go on the sunbed - I ask if they would like to upgrade to a cocktail?
People often use sunbeds when they have heard of or had a bad experience with uv free tanning.
This way they still get their snbed fix they came in for but also get a taste of the spray tan too and are usually hooked. A few have decided upon just the spray now too.

I was a sunbed user but takes too long to get a good colour and if i was going on them alot to build colour i did worry. But i do like the extra bit of colour i get from cocktails though... I also tend to get spots on my chest and back and the sunbed helps get rid.

I don't ask a spray tan client if they would like to go on the bed too...
I do the spray tans in the salon and i'm on a self employed basis. Selling UV mins doesn't benefit me unless it's to convert a uv user.

I do think you can tell the difference with a cocktail. I usually rotate it having a spray one week and a cocktail the next time..
I have tried to research it and asked my trainer who said it was fine to do it but other than that there isn't a great deal of info.

It seems to be huge in america by the look if salon websites over there but i don't believe in the claims that it...

"opens all the pores for deeper colour"
"bakes in the soloution for a 2-3 week tan" :eek:

"stimulates the tanning solution"

Does anyone have them? Can't be just me!

As you know i'm not a skin geek.

But with all due respect,i thought spray tan selling point was sunless tanning with no detrimental effect to the health of the client.

So how has this come about to be popular ? I thought peeps were promoting spray tan and trying to phase out the sunbed

Thanks x

I agree with you on this one Becki - so this is why I want to know all about this advantages and disadvantages so my clients can also be given the details of whether this is or isnt a good idea too.

Although I do think that occasionally it is OK to have a sunbed but not to the extent that you would be able to get the same colouration as you would from a Spray tan.

Ah i see ,thanks ladies :hug:

Hi Theresa,
as you have asked for some tecno stuff on this issue here goes...I was previously heavily involved in the UV tanning sectors and was MD of the largest distribtor of UV lamps in Europe and during this time have also been heavily involved in spraytanning in its early days so can speak from both perspectives.

The "cocktail" thing does in fact apear to assist both applications.

Firstly lets clear up one issue...UV tanning is safe and highly benificial in not only improving apearance of the skin colour but also inner wellness..we all need the sun..the problem has been that UV tanning has seriously been abused by manufacturers and tanners alike with far to strong sunbeds being manufactured and customers utolising these machines far to often.(one glass of red wine is great..a whole bottle a night is potentially dangerouse)
The benifits of safe UV tanning are proven in science...abuse has been the problem.A little of something in adition to the immediate benifits is good for the imune system also...much like in the way a vaccination works..there is proven scientific studies undertaken in Australia where the skin cancer rate has actually increased as a result of the problems with the Austrailians going completly undercover from the sun following the ozone layer problems...I.E. they were hiding from the sun so the skin had no defence whatsoever when exposed....much the same way as when you first hit the beach on holiday..to much sun on the first day makes for a very sore holiday and potential skin cancer issues...a little slowly is however enjoyable as well as safe.
So back to the issue...yes by going on the sunbed before a spray tan opens the pores of the skin allowing the DHA to penetrate deeper and therefore provides a longer lasting even tan which also fades better...this process works far better if you use a spray liquid with as little colour dye as possible..its the colour dye that clogs the skin pores and therefore blocks the DHA path into the skin through the pores..also possibly resulting in flaking,patches and uneven fading effects.
There is also a thought that due to the mild sweating that comes from the initial UV treatment that the sweat acts as a PH leveler to the skin surface therefore also aiding the DHA outcome...(It is in fact far better for your clients to not have showered before being sprayed as the skin is likley to be more PH neutral this way as showering using soaps etc can give a high PH level to the skins surface-so smelly customers stand a chance of a far better spraytan result than a clean client ;0))I understand that most females skins are more alkaline than that of males so therefore the PH leveling of the sweat certainly could aid the spraytan outcome-again by not showering sweat helps to level PH so back to the doirty customers being the best.
Do NOT use any sunbed cream if you are thinking of doing this "cocktail" as the cream will mearly clog the pores and therefore defeat the whole purpose of the excercise.also do not overdo the UV treatment..remember the beach on your first day on holiday
Hoping my woffel helps in some way......

Thanks Collin for the fab info.

Is there a space of time in between the client having a uv sunbed session and having the spray tan done where the combination of the two becomes in effective? Hope that makes sense.

if I apply logic...I would guess that the spraytan should be applied as quickly as possible after the UV session...this way the pores of the skin are likley to remain open to receive the DHA ...if there is a gap and say the room is cold the pores are likly to close quickly...
after the spray by going on the sunbed again will speed up the DHA reaction.....but again use sensible UV beds and not the high powered ones as to much intense UV is not a good thing...so just a quick session after on a ow powered bed is perfect....also the customer will warm up nicley and therefore feel better....from the salons perspective the sales revenue is greater also...we have recomended before that the salon maybe does a special offer price if the customer wishes to UV tan after or before a spraytan
Hoping this helps
Collin

Really interesting thread! I like the idea, and see where Tammy's coming from regards converting UV users and perhaps helping to lessen their sunbed use, when used in combination with DHA.

Regards the benefits of having a UV session prior to a spray tan, I don't understand how this would work as pores do not 'open' and 'close'. This is a total myth that I though most people in the beauty industry were up to speed with. Perhaps a DHA tan fades better when combined with a UV tan due to the increased cellular turn over of the skin when exposed to UV....

I think it is generally accepted that to pores of the skin do in fact open and close(or put a different way widen and narrow)under different conditions.
it is therefore quiet logical that if a person is sprayed with both wider open pores as well as mild sweating (improving the PH level)that any liquid(in this case DHA) will penetrate deeper than if the pores were closed(or narrow)
dont know if this observation helps in any way??

Hi theresa, I have read your thread with great interest. Years ago i was a nail tech /beauty therapist in a sun bed shop. On a weekend i would apply my fake tan then the mornin after i would have a sunbed using a moistriser (with tan acclerator in it) and i had the best tan ever.

I do spray tan and have never heard of this beore, so will give it a try.
hth

mart

Hi theresa, I have read your thread with great interest. Years ago i was a nail tech /beauty therapist in a sun bed shop. On a weekend i would apply my fake tan then the mornin after i would have a sunbed using a moistriser (with tan acclerator in it) and i had the best tan ever.

I do spray tan and have never heard of this beore, so will give it a try.
hth

mart

Great - let us know how it goes.

Hi, I noticed my neighbours spay tan back in the summer was wearing off and left her face more small freckled looking than tanned as it was her pores that stayed tanned. I would guess that open/wide pores cause this? How would you avoid this?

Hi, I noticed my neighbours spay tan back in the summer was wearing off and left her face more small freckled looking than tanned as it was her pores that stayed tanned. I would guess that open/wide pores cause this? How would you avoid this?

Was this a spray tan you did Debbie or was it done by somebody else?

I would suggest that perhaps the spray was done too wet or the aftercare wasnt followed as it should be. Only a guess though.

I saw an american programme on this.

A mother had booked her daughter (about 10 years old) into this upmarket salon to have a cocktail. They sold it on the premise that Lindsay Lohan had this same cocktail, and kept on asking the girl if she wanted to look like her.

they did sunbed first then spray tan.

btw the girl tried to back out of it and her mother MADE her have the treatment. it was so she stood out in her school photo! madness!

Very interesting thread. Never ever heard of this. So do you go onto the sunbed straight after the tan?When you do go on the sunbed how long is it best to go on for?

Just following up on this thread and the reported benifits of UV and spraytanning combo assisting each other....

It is from this thread that has encouraged us to us develope our new liquid Essence of Summer which seems to react extremly well with both natural (sunlight) as well as artificial(sun bed) UV and seems to develope darker and deeper when exposure occurs.

This liquid may be something worth trying out when offering your cocktail services.

hoping this helps

Latest posts

Back