Spray tan/fake tan problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydneey

Reaction score
hi guys, wondered if anyone could help? when ever i have a spray tan or use fake tan at home, it starts to 'peel off'. i dont really know how to describe it too well but on my neck, stomack and the inside of my forearms just seem to almost peel off and reveal my milk bottle white skin. I exfoliate beforehand, ive tried gels, foams, spray on, gradual tans, tinted moisturiser and have had many professional spray tans done in different salons but the same thing keeps happening. the only tans that dont do this is the instant tans that wash off with soap and water, but i dont want to have to apply fake tan every morning plus these are no good when it rains and they rub off on clothes. anyone have any ideas??? as ive rersorted to using sunbeds to keep my glow :(

Does this happen as soon as u wash the tan off? Or after a few days? X

Interesting problem.

Spray tan solutions and retail self tanning products primarily use DHA as the active ingredient. The DHA reacts with the Keratin in your skin to produce pigments call Melanoidins which are similar to Melanin which is the pigment formed when your skin is exposed to UV light.

These pigments only fade as you shed dead skin cells, so if you have exfoliated with a product designed for use with spray tanning, you are helping to create a fresh base and your tan should last longer. Unfortunately fade off is primarily dictated by your skin cell shedding cycle.

If you use an exfoliator not designed for use with sunless tanning products you will almost certainly create a barrier preventing the DHA from reacting properly. Most general exfoliators contain oils and moisturisers that do act as a barrier to DHA, so this could be an issue.

Your description of peeling off sounds more like the guide colour. The DHA tan cannot really peal off as the pigment is actually part of the dead skin cell layer.

How long do you leave the tanning product on your skin?
How quick do you notice this fade off?
This sounds like it is NOT just a case 'Post Shower Disappointment' ie the guide colour is nothing like the DHA tan that develops?

it usually starts to happen within a day or 2 of putting the tan on, but sometimes sooner. it depends which tan im using to how long i leave it on, depending what it says on the bottle. if i touch or scratch my skin in any of these areas the tan just seems to come off on my hands, as though its not actually soaked into the skin, more of just developed a layer on top of the skin if that makes sense?
i recently went on holiday and had been using garnier tinted moisturiser a few days before i went to build up a bit of a tan, everything had been fine until the first morning of my holiday i woke up with a huge white patch on my stomach and the same thing on the inside of my forearms, so i had to spend the whole holiday covered up or with heavy make up in these places to even me out.......:o

Ideally u shouldn't scratch urself whilst the tan is developing, also, u do get fade off (which looks worse the darker the tan against a pale skin tone) sweating/clothes rubbing makes this happen quicker.

It sounds like the top layer of ur skin (where ur tan sits) is shedding quicker in places.

Usually u get the best results in the 1st few days of a spray tan, but it can wear/fade in places.

I advise my clients to use an oil free moisturier patted in to the skin and left to absorb rather than rubbing the moisturier in.

Do have a look into tanning exfoliator/moisturier.

Fakebake do a body polish and an oil free spray desgined for prep and the spray for after ur tan.

Unfortunatly as the tan is only sat on ur 1st layer of skin it isn't a permanent solution, ie shave ur legs after a tan (or wax) and u remove the tan/layer of skin where ur tan is sat.

Xx

Ideally u shouldn't scratch urself whilst the tan is developing, also, u do get fade off (which looks worse the darker the tan against a pale skin tone) sweating/clothes rubbing makes this happen quicker.

It sounds like the top layer of ur skin (where ur tan sits) is shedding quicker in places.

Usually u get the best results in the 1st few days of a spray tan, but it can wear/fade in places.

I advise my clients to use an oil free moisturier patted in to the skin and left to absorb rather than rubbing the moisturier in.

Do have a look into tanning exfoliator/moisturier.

Fakebake do a body polish and an oil free spray desgined for prep and the spray for after ur tan.

Unfortunatly as the tan is only sat on ur 1st layer of skin it isn't a permanent solution, ie shave ur legs after a tan (or wax) and u remove the tan/layer of skin where ur tan is sat.

Xx
thanks for that steph86! i will deffinately look into the fakebake products:p until then i will carry on with the sunbeds:suprised: lol xx

Latest posts

Back