Spray tan for dance groups question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leesse

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at going into dance classes to offer spray tans before comps etc. However, I know these girls/boys like to be very brown and most spray tans have a 6/8 hour development time. Therefore, what do U suggest a) doing them the day before b) is there a spray instant tan??

Thanks
Lisa

Hey there. Iv just been thinking about getting in contact with dance schools. I would do the tan the day before. Especially if it's disco/street dance and other fast dance styles, as you shouldn't do anything that makes you sweat before the tan has developed. X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I mostly spray dancers and have sprayed my own two for 5+ years for both national finals and regional competitions, so I hope I can help :)

Speaking from the perspective of Latin/Ballroom/Disco/Freestyle comps etc - they generally start with doors open from about 8.30 to 9am depending on the comp. The first rounds for Under 16's tend to start at around 9 - 9.30am - again, depending on the competitions. Adults generally tend to start later, except at large, national finals. Many people travel in excess of 1 - 2 hours to get to a comp, so with that in mind, you'll have to tan the day before.

As an aside, I was up at 4am last week for a comp :cry:

The only "instant" spray tans I know of, are the Sienna X one (I think it's called Tonight's the Night or similar) and the Wow Factor Organics Illusion Rapid tan, which I'm about to try tonight on my eldest. I don't know whether either of these will be dark enough for Latin dancing.

Jantana do a very good instant tan which comes in lotion form, called "Competition Tan", if you wanted to consider a manual tanning - rather you than me, on wriggly children lol! It's amazing and you don't have to worry about applying it carefully - just rub it in and away you go! Brilliant and instant. We love it for those little emergencies on the day.

There are other instant tans on the market, aimed at dancers but one in particular goes green after 2 hours - bleurgh! Not attractive and it was a very expensive mistake for us.

Please bear in mind that not all dancers like to look that dark and you'll get some who will be happier with say, a 10, 12%. It'll be a shock for them and may knock their confidence on the day. So be prepared to take along some lower DHA's :) Also some of the children will be gong to school on the Monday and from 11 years of experience, I know they can suffer really badly at the hands of their classmates from the "tango" jibes.

I sprayed my youngest with Wow Factor's Organics Allure 10% and that was absolutely perfect for anyone under 12 - or even for those who prefer to look tanned but not over cooked lol!

What age ranges are you doing btw?

HTH and I'll be happy to help more if you need a dance perspective lol!

Oops forgot to say that if you're doing young ones under 12, you'll need eyes in the back of your head to try to stop them from touching their skin after you've tanned them...you may need some parents to help you with that one, or some hairdryers ;-)

Last edited:
That's great thanks so much !!! Do you discount the price for children? Do you get their parent to sign a consent form or the dance teacher? I was also wondering (sorry) if you get them all together the night before at the dance club??

Thanks

Hi,

Fresh Indulgence sell a rapid tan called Electric Tan; it lets your clients customize their own tans. Leave the tan on for 2 hours for a light tan, 4 hours for a medium tan and 6 hours for a dark tan.

They also sell a solution called Caribbean Indulgence which comes in 7.5%, 9.5% and 11.5% DHA and is a lovely mocha brown color.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely charge less for children and would get each individual parent to sign a consent form, rather than the teacher. Others may feel differently on those issues. One of the reasons I'd get the parents to sign, is that there's child protection issues in most things and sadly as parents, many venues and organizations won't let us take photos of our children competing, without signing a form beforehand or on the day:irked: Plus, technically, some venues and organizations won't let you video under 16's full-stop. Dance teachers aren't allowed to give permission, it has to be the parent :)

Getting them together at the dance club the night before would depend on several factors and I'll explain why.

1. If the club has a sprung, wooden floor, they probably wouldn't want anyone spraying near it, as water or spray may permanently mark/stain/damage the floor. If this is the case, then does the club have a separate room where you could spray away to your heart's delight? You'd need to check with the club and make them aware of the process of tanning etc.

2. Does the club have any other events on the Friday night (most comps are on a Sunday)? Lots of clubs have practice nights, classes , asocial events or private lessons going on, so you'd need to check if it's possible to spray at the venue.

3. Is there somewhere the children could go to dry off with everyone being happy? Again, there could potentially be child-protection issues with lots of semi naked children lol!

It's do-able but you'd need to do some research.

Perhaps it might be easier to explore tanning parties at several parents' houses:)

You may find that you can speed up the process with just tanning certain areas, if the costumes/dresses etc aren't revealing too much flesh. Certainly for my two, sometimes I can get away with hands, legs, neck and face. For Latin/Ballroom over 12 males, depending on their shirts, they just need hands, then halfway to elbow, chest, neck and face. Under 12's are "sealed in" lol with just hands and face on show!

Please feel free to come back to me for more info:)

Brilliant points made there pigaletto- never thought of some of those points, i,e which room to spray in and other factors. I think the best thing to do is perhaps get some flyers printed off whereby I offer a spray tan party at a parents house the day before a dance comp or something along those lines. thats a very good idea you pointed out and I would personally feel more at ease doing that rather than have dance teachers and caretakers breathing down my neck worried about overspray etc lol !

Thanks so much x

Hi,

Fresh Indulgence sell a rapid tan called Electric Tan; it lets your clients customize their own tans. Leave the tan on for 2 hours for a light tan, 4 hours for a medium tan and 6 hours for a dark tan.

They also sell a solution called Caribbean Indulgence which comes in 7.5%, 9.5% and 11.5% DHA and is a lovely mocha brown color.

:)

Hello Jenah
I was wondering if you've sprayed dnacers with the Electric Tan - did they think it was dark enough?

Leesse is right that some dancers like to be really dark - many use a 14%,16 or 18% - have you used the Fresh Indulgence on dancers and have they been happy with the depth of colour? Just looking for some ideas from peple who've used other products on dancers:)

Leesse - Happy to help - please feel free to comeback to me anytime :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for Fresh Indulgence - but we do have alot of customers that buy purposely to spray dancers and they seem to like it!!

If, however, they don't find the darkest shade from Electric Tan dark enough I usually suggest adding a few drops of our DHA Booster Drops (50% DHA) and then they are guaranteed to get the colour they want with a couple of drops of that :)

I tan a local dance club for comps I use Sienna x 16% it's perfect and they all love it. I charge them £10 each as there usually about 13 of them. The mums also buy the cans of sienna spray to top them up if need be.

Ooh good idea rachp ! X

Im just wondering how do you know how dark to go on them? Generally as a rule of thumb for clients first tan I usually err on the side of caution and do them a lower percentage then build up from there, as I dont want to spray the client too dark and have them go orange - or do you think i am being too cautious?

I too am thinking of approaching a couple of local children's dance schools to offer spray tans, but am wary of doing the kids either too light or too dark! I was thinking of of charging just £10 for the kids if the parents bring them all to one house, maybe do the hosts child for a fiver?? ( just to encourage them to have all the kids at their house!) what do people think?

Good idea muddi, please let us know how you get on!!

Im just wondering how do you know how dark to go on them? Generally as a rule of thumb for clients first tan I usually err on the side of caution and do them a lower percentage then build up from there, as I dont want to spray the client too dark and have them go orange - or do you think i am being too cautious?

What you need to remember for the comps is they are dancing under stage lighting, I remember stage make up when I was a kid, we used to call it pancake, it was very dark, we looked like gypsy kids but under those lights we just looked normal, try standing under those lights with nothing and you're totally washed out.
I haven't done any comp girls but I've chatted with a few parents and they say they always make sure it's at least a 14% for the girls. 16% is better, they are not looking for a long lasting tan with a good fade of, just something good for the comp and the quicker they can scrub it of the better:biggrin:

Surely the kids have to look good when not on stage as well - no good making a kid look so dark/orange and then they have to walk around for a couple of days after looking like that - it aint gonna do your business name any good at all - ive seen kids at our school who dance and have had cheap spray tans for show and they are glowing orange they look that bad.

Surely the kids have to look good when not on stage as well - no good making a kid look so dark/orange and then they have to walk around for a couple of days after looking like that - it aint gonna do your business name any good at all - ive seen kids at our school who dance and have had cheap spray tans for show and they are glowing orange they look that bad.
Unfortunately, many people accept or learn to accept that a tan that's dark enough for the dance-floor, isn't going to look nice when the fade-off kicks-in. We all know that the higher the DHA, the worse it's going to look after 3 days, especially on dancers who have a pale skin-base but for many, that's a price they either have to pay, or are willing to pay:wink2: A tan that looks good in natural light and is a fabulous advert for your business may not be dark enough for the bright lights of your local sports centre or the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, where even a 14% can only just look like a healthy glow :wink2:

Whilst some higher DHA tans may not be a good advert for business, we're all stuck between the devil and the deep-blue sea for tanning dancers - do we provide a service tailored to what they need - ie give them the tan that they need to look good on the floor, or do we give them a tan that's no good on the floor but that makes us look good as professionals when they go back to their everyday lives?

The dance world is very superficial and knowing it as well as I do, I'd hate to think that I gave a lighter tan to a competitor, to ensure they're a good advert for me come Monday morning, at the cost of them potentially losing marks or being placed lower. As humans, our eyes are naturally drawn to things that look good - look the part etc - judges don't just look at the technical ability of a dancer - you really do need the whole package to gain that competitive edge.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a tan that's dark enough for the competition but natural-looking on the Monday morning when they go back to school and then doesn't make them look like they've got some nasty skin disease by Wednesday afternoon. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and watched the eldest daughter brush-off the "tango" jibes for 10 years. Mind you, she doesn't care anymore because nothing can knock the feeling of carrying home several first place trophies after winning a national competition for the umpteenth time :wink2: :lol:

I wish I knew the answers - it isn't easy for children who dance - they have to put up with some stick - everyone who says the "tango" comment thinks they're the wittiest, funniest person on earth - but in the end, most children/young people brush it off because the "joker" who thinks they're soooooo original, is probably the 10th one that day lol!

I look at it this way - the dancer I've sprayed is a good advert for getting more business tanning dancers ;) However, I'm wise-enough to know that in between competitions, it's a good idea to spray my daughter with a quality product that produces a gorgeous, natural-looking tan - its a fabulous advert for the diversity of what I can offer ;) Anyone who has any concerns about the damage that a dance-strength tan can do their reputation, may find it useful to consider a promotion or a special offer/reduction on any subsequent lower DHA tans to dance clients or their parents ;)

Last edited:

I haven't done any comp girls but I've chatted with a few parents and they say they always make sure it's at least a 14% for the girls. 16% is better, they are not looking for a long lasting tan with a good fade of, just something good for the comp and the quicker they can scrub it of the better:biggrin:

I'd say 90% of dancers aren't looking for a long lasting tan - and you're right that most will need a minimium of 14%.

Knowing how dark to tan is a real dilemma for anyone who has never been involved in the dance world - tan has really taken off in the last 7 years. To be honest, even some dancers don't know how dark they should go, if they've never been sprayed before, or perhaps even it's their first ever comp. There's also teachers out there who wouldn't have a clue as to what to advise their pupils :lol:

As professionals, we all know the value of market research or product research. I'm lucky - I've been involved in the dance world for 10 years - I've tanned children and adults - males and females, so I know what's required. Because of that I also recognize how hard it would be for someone to come in and tan dancers. You could always approach a dance school - explain what you could offer them and ask if they'd be happy to let you go along to the next competition so that you could see the range of tans, dancers and costumes etc. It would give you a fabulous chance to really tailor your service and gain confidence. You could see the best and the worst - you might not like everything that you see - it may be the most boring day you've ever had but it'll provide an opportunity for you to gain the edge over the other tan techs in your area :wink2:

Latest posts

Back