Spray tan gone streaky when washed guide off only

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlz30

Reaction score
Hi! I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I'm just starting out doing spray tanning. Basically been trying out heaps of different solutions and practicing on friends still. Most of my spray tans have turned out beautifully, so I think my technique is good.

Yesterday I did a spray tan for a friend (who also does spray tanning). Everything looked great, very even application and she dried off thoroughly before getting dressed. We both inspected that I didn't miss any bits and that it was even. We used morrocan tan 12%. Before doing the spray, I did actually notice that the bottle was extremely hot and the lid was not on properly. I questioned her why the solution was so hot and she said it was because it was very hot in the car. I then thought maybe we should use a different solution as there may be something wrong with it being exposed to heat. It has been very hot for the last week. She really wanted to use her solution so we went ahead.

Everything looked fantastic and she left the tan on for about 4 hours, even though it is a 2hr tan. Anyway, when she had a shower and the guide colour was washed off, underneath her tan was all streaky!!!! White lines randomly all over her body!!! It looked almost like parts of her body had been splashed with water or the tan just didn't develop in parts!!

It looked terrible and we have no idea why this happened? I used the same solution on her 2 weeks before and it looked amazing. This has never happened before.

Could the solution have turned bad because it was exposed to heat and the lid wasn't on properly?? Would that cause white streaky lines everywhere?? If she had gotten splashed or was sweaty bc of the heat, wouldn't she have seen it going streaky with the guide colour on? The guide colour was definitely even And looking great.

It is a mystery - as it went from looking even and gorgeous to terrible! I'm hoping it is nothing that I have done bc it is the same application as I always do. There was no dripping of solution and she was completely dry.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!!! I don't want this happening ever again!

It is not great that the solution was allowed to get hot or that the lid was not on propperly but if it had not turned green then it has not yet gone off. You may find the solution doesn't last as long as it would normally if it had been kept in a cool dark place.

It's only a guess but I think the streaky white lines have been caused by incorrect preperation to the skin.

It sounds to me like there was remnants of a product (possibly shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, sun cream etc..) still on the skin causing a barrier and stopping the DHA from being absorbed.

Like Baggybear suggested seems like something still on the skin to act like a barrier.
If your friend also does spray tanning she should have known that the solution should not have been left in the car.
When you first done her spray tan and used her solution how long had it been in her car? xx

Thanks so much for your reply :) she said she was careful with her preparation, so I'm not sure if that's the cause (she is also a spray tanner).

But that would make sense.

Leely- she said that the bottle had not been in the car that long. But when I picked it up it felt extremely hot. So I'm not sure how it was being stored in her house. The weather has been very hot over the last week.

If you didn't shake the solution before pouring and applying this may have caused some of the problem however, it definately sounds like a preparation issue.

Agree with above. Thought I would add that if its really hot it may be that she's been sweating and thats caused the streaks. I have seen other geeks comment on threads that clients have had issues with streaky legs as client has done a wee in shower (yuk!) either pre tan or when washing off guide and this has caused streaky legs.

Latest posts

Back