Spray tan How Dark?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs001

Reaction score
My daughter wants to go REALLY dark for her prom and all her friends want to go dark, I have 16% which I think is fine, but they want darker, do I just give customer what they want or advise them no way will I do darker as they will end up orange? I know my daughter goes orange any darker and I dont want it ruining prom pics :( Same problem applies with other clients, I know we can advise and then its up to them but these are kids. So far I have said they can go elsewhere if they want darker as I dont have the solution.

I certainly wouldn't use as dark as16% for proms they need to look naturally beautiful! I have spray tanned for 6 years and I think you need to go with what you think is best don't be talked into something you don't feel is right!!! 8% or 12% should be fine really!!! 

I have clients who think that tango is a great look, I really don't understand why, but these are adults, so yes, I'll take their money but for a kids prom, no I think I'd tell them straight that there is no way I'm going to have my name associated with the umpa loompa class of 2011.

LMAO Suzie!! oompa lumpa class of 2011 BRILLIANT!! Mental pictures pmsl...

Yep, remember these are kids, your the pro.. even if the other kids go elsewhere, your own daughter should be a more natural colour (hey at least you can control her tan!!) no way 16% on kids... stick yo your guns xx

I don't give customers the choice! I ask what look they are aiming for, how they tan normally and tell them what they are having!!
All my prom girls have had LA gold so far apart from 2 who have had that before and wanted to be slightly darker so had the LA10.

I am not being responsible for ruining the photos either!! :D

(Works the same with adults too - they get what they are given, they don't see what strength of solution you put in!) xx

id say a 12 would be enough , just think of their pictures the darker the dha the more orange the flash picks up. If its what they really want give them it but aslong as u advise first

Thanks for the reassurance! Its made me realise I am more concerned with my professional rep than taking the money :)

I sprayed a woman the other day who had 12% and looked lovely, but when I saw her previous tan pics (not by me as she is a new client!), she looked a very dodgy colour and id be devastated if my clients looked like that, so yes I WILL stick to my guns! Its just teen daughters...so much pressure...GRRRR, boys are SO much easier! I think its best I ban my daughter from using any of my services! :)

When is the prom?
If you have enough time, I would spray them in the darker colour and see what you and they think-tan does take differently to different skins. I agree that 16% is way too dark-especially for a prom, but as long as the tango look doesnt creep in you'll be fine.
x

I DID! I used 18% tandare! (to prove a point) and it is orange! AND she wants at least 18 again!! So I said no way and she gets stroppy saying NONE of her friends will use me unless I can get 18 and she will go elsewhere!!! Thats why I have said she cant go if she goes elsewhere as Im not paying all this money on dress/shoes/make-up/car/hair/nails to end up with orange pics that she will regret in years to come :( and her mates CAN go elsewhere!

TEENS!!!!:irked:

Teens!! Not a good look for your prom...
In future you can buy booster drops instead of stocking any darker solutions then you can go as dark as u need it. I only stock up to 14 and don't really like going darker but I have booster drops if needed

Yes I was thinking of getting drops, never used them personally but will defo consider, :)

if someone came into me and wanted really dark i personally would do it weather they were a teen or not after all its what they have asked for. however if 16% is the darkest you have just explain this and explain that 16 is very dark. i use sienna and 16% is designed for dancers and i use it quite alot on people i persoanlly dont think its fake looking just a nice colour.

if someone came into me and wanted really dark i personally would do it weather they were a teen or not after all its what they have asked for. however if 16% is the darkest you have just explain this and explain that 16 is very dark. i use sienna and 16% is designed for dancers and i use it quite alot on people i persoanlly dont think its fake looking just a nice colour.

Thats all very well, but like said its your reputation on the line. If someone sees her walking down the street and says 'ooh your tan is lovely, who did that' (just to get the tech /salon name) and she said your name, then that person sure wouldnt book an appt with you would she!
Also, its for her daughter, who like said, will regret being orange at her prom in years to come.
I say stick to your guns and defo get some booster drops, much cheaper than buying higher %'s and then not getting much use from them before they go off.
x

just what i would do i persoanally dont find 16% very dark, and the girls will just go else were i lost loads of clients for my tans not being dark enought before i got the 16% in.
i think that can go with alot of things in beauty someone gets me to wax there eyebrows sooo thin another like them thinner going fuller to ends and i hate doing them like that but its what they want and someone else might look and think omg who done her brows but its what she wants not what i want.

just what i would do i persoanally dont find 16% very dark, and the girls will just go else were i lost loads of clients for my tans not being dark enought before i got the 16% in.
i think that can go with alot of things in beauty someone gets me to wax there eyebrows sooo thin another like them thinner going fuller to ends and i hate doing them like that but its what they want and someone else might look and think omg who done her brows but its what she wants not what i want.

But with eyebrows its different that is a personal preference. With tans-orange is a bad look whether someone things it is or isnt.
16% is fine i agree, but if it has been trialed and they went orange, why would you do it for the event?

As it's my daughter I might just give her 14 and tell her it's 16! :|

I'd say to tan as they wish to be tanned - I tan dark and that is why I'm seen to be good at what I do, people love their tans by me as they actually feel tanned, not 'sunkissed',.. bearing in mind they're going to be around all their own friends & peers at the prom, it's pretty likely that they'll all like the same 'look', they're not asking for it to go to an 80th Birthday Bash!! :D

As it's my daughter I might just give her 14 and tell her it's 16! :|

Just what I would do!!! She won't have any idea! xxx

I wouldn't recommend a really dark tan for a prom. I find that clients think they want to go really dark until they actually have the darkest and then they think it's too dark :rolleyes:
For my clients that like it really dark I use LA TAN 18%. I find it doesn't last or fade as well as my usual solution but it's great for a weekend. I've never found it to go orange either and I've used it on really pale skin and it still doesn't go orange!

i was just really thinking of the other people you said get in that ask to be darker obviously on your daughter you can say no but you mentioned other people coming in asking for darker

Latest posts

Back