spray tan patch and training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey Roberts

Reaction score
Why is it that we have to do patch tests for clients wanting spray tans, yet when I did my training, with a few others ( as we all had tans on the day) this wasn't offered, that just seems wrong imo :confused:

Were any other geeks offered a patch test b4 a tan on their training day ?, will be interesting to know:hug:

A very very small number of people can have an allergic reaction.
I always patch test clients.
I wasn't asked on my course but then my models on my eyebrow and lash tint course weren't patch tested either!

I patch test new clients who have never had tan treatments done before or have not used tanning products. Also clients that mantion they have sensitive skin, eczema or dermatitis etc.

Ideally we should do everyone but its difficult, and a reaction to tan solutions are very very rare indeed. Sometimes even with a patch test though that can not show an allergy.

As a freelance therapist I have dropper bottles I post to new clients who then apply the test to themselves 48 hours before I arrive.

I have to say this has been the most efficient method so far.

Kate

I dont patch test clients for spray tans, I have never been told i have to its not a requirement obviously if you want to do it you can do it. But i have never patch tested people, i always ask them have you had any previous reactions to tanning products if they havent thats fine if they have thats when i will patch test.

hths

Certain companies do ask for a patch test. If you check Fake Bake bottles it does say to patch test. You need to check with your insurance company. Most insurance companies say that you have to follow the guidelines set out by that particular manufacturer.
I dab a bit behind peoples ears with a cotton bud as soon as they enter the salon. By the time they have got undressed and got ready you should be able to tell if they are going to have a reaction.
Most people can't get to the salon on 2 separate occassions so this way is best for me.
I think if they were to have a reaction then it would most likely be straight away.
My supplier said she has seen one in 7 years and then it was just like prickly heat.

I dont patch test either unless they have had a previous allergic reaction to tanning products. It is not always possible to patch test 24 or 48 hours in advance, I get a lot of last minute bookings and I am not going to turn people away because I haven't patch tested them, the salon down the road would probably be more than willing to spray them without a patch test!

To answer your question, No, my model wasn't patch tested when I did my training either.

Hi Guys, I did my training with sienna-x and wasn't offered a patch test either also on the course we were told we didn't need to patch test clients as I did ask and was told this would be a waste of my time.
Wasn't too happy with the training as I learnt more from the hand book!!!
Have others been told to patch test and am i going wrong by not testing my clients?

Patch testing is a requirement for insurance purposes and should be offered to every client,

when you have a spray tan during training a client consult takes place and this establishes if the person has been sprayed before,
if the person has been sprayed before or used over the counter tanning products with no reactions then everything will be fine,
if however it is discovered that a person has had a reaction to spray tan or over the counter tans, then under no circumstances should a spray tan be applied as each and every reaction will get worse with each one that happens,
so patch testing someone that has had a reaction is a waste of time as they will have a worse reaction EVERY time, it is in 99% of cases the DHA that they are having a reaction to, hth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back