Spray tan process

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyworley

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I am after a bit of advice - I am 100% mobile and offer spray tanning, to start with my tan's were going well. But lately i seem to be having a bit of an issue with hands - so i bought some barrier cream from suntana... this was of no use what-so-ever.

which barrier creams do you use and where do you use it? hands? nails?

also, i was trained to tan from side to side but the more people i speak to seem to tan up and down.

what are your thoughts on this? How do you do it?

Hiya!

I use Nouvatan barrier cream as i trained and bought all their products and its lovely :)

With regards to your technique i spray up and down (thats how i was taught) and from reading a few threads on here before it sounds as if when you spray side to side you end up with more overspray.

HTH x

Oooops sorry .. Use little on hands, heels, knees, elbows and any particularly dry patches your client may have

X

Hiya

I trained with Sienna x and use their barrier , but I used la barrier also which was good .

I was taught to apply to palm of clients Han back of wrist elbows knees under heel and over ankle and round Nile bone with last small wipe over front of hand .

I spray up and down I was taught to spray hands and feet lightly in a quick circle motion , and they always come out ok circle twice over foot hth xx

Hi Amy! I use the Fresh Indulgence organic barrier cream on palms, nails (especially toenails which for some reason for me seem to soak up fake tan more than finger nails) and sometimes very very thinly on elbows and knees if particularly dry.

I've tried a lot of different barrier creams, I agree most don't work very well because people are basically trying to bring out the most cost-effective thing they can (because no one likes to spend a fortune on barrier cream) which often ends up being a standard moisturiser base rather than something specifically designed for the purpose.

I know this is going a bit against the thread but with the right spray tan routine you wouldnt need any barrier cream so if you get the technique right you can save yourself a lot of time and money and make the application a lot easier for your client and yourself?

Mostly, but I don't see any way of avoiding nails completely. Plus not everything is down to technique - I don't think many of us here would ever spray someone's palm, but by having barrier cream on there, it stops them from resting it against their leg or something and ending up accidentally tanned by their own actions!

Hi Geeks

I am after a bit of advice - I am 100% mobile and offer spray tanning, to start with my tan's were going well. But lately i seem to be having a bit of an issue with hands - so i bought some barrier cream from suntana... this was of no use what-so-ever.

which barrier creams do you use and where do you use it? hands? nails?

also, i was trained to tan from side to side but the more people i speak to seem to tan up and down.

what are your thoughts on this? How do you do it?

The way individuals are taught this art varies and its worth rembering that training is simply to show you the basics and to give you the ability to head off and develope your own techniques that specifically suit the way you like to do things.

It really doesnt matter how you get there as long as the tans turn out how they should.

By using a verticle technique you will find things far better in terms of lesser application time,consistency of coverage,reduced overspray and so on.
In so far as the issue of barrier cream is concerned the use of this is again very much up to the individule...do whats best for you and what you find easiest.

I personely reccomend the use of barrier cream on palms of hands as this prevents any "grabbing" to this rough skin as well as creats a barrier in the event the client touches themselves after the tan application and during the development process.

Likewise it is also reccomended to do this when retiring to bed and for your partner to do so...none of us want orange palms before heading off to work in the morning :o

The use of creams on nails on feet and hands is also a good precaution against nail tinting...especially on toe nails where spray drops onto the feet during application.

using creams on skin...well that can cause its own problems where tan lines and patching may occur so best avoided ...simply ensure the client has expholiated well and always handy for you to keep a tub of buff wipes handy to remove any dead skin to any particularly built up dead skin areas
HTH

Thanks to everyone for their advice - i do tend to use alot of solution - far more than the supplier suggests so i think that may be due to the overspray. I am going to try the up and down method from now on - will guenia pig on a friend!

Thanks to the suggestions for barrier - i wasnt taught to use it and am usually very careful with the palms etc, and give the clients a baby wipe to wipe their palms with. But when i did use the barrier cream i think i was less worried about the palms and omg - what a mess!! luckily it was a friend whos palms i tanned.

I tend to paint the nails with polish to stop them tanning too!

i always give barrier for the palms of hands and other than that i just ask if they would like it for anywhere else ...x

Hi Amy,
I spray up and down too, i've tried spraying side to side but think up/down is best.
I dont use a branded barrier cream, i just use a decent cream from boots or superdrug, one that smells nice and is nice and moisturising.
I firstly put a bit on the top of the clients hands and get them to really rub it in like hand cream, concentrating on the fingers and all the way doenw to the wrist, mainly as i cant stand overspraying and hands tend to be so dry that they can easily soak up too much tan and go orangey.
I then put some cream on their palms which i can wipe off after spraying (just in case any tan goes on their palms by accident).
I also aply some to the nails which i wipe off at the end to stop any residue staining.
Hth xx

I use aqueous cream as a barrier (really cheap from the chemist) and apply to palms, ankles, heels & elbows. As some clients can be a bit vigorous I show them what to do with hands & i do the rest (quite sparingly). I also rub a little into any dry areas as indicated by client, including backs of hands. I don't put barrier cream on nails, i prefer to wipe with a baby wipe or couch towel afterwards.

I was taught to spray horizontally & circles but was using far too much solution so i now do it all vertically & am using less solution as a result.

I always wipe palms with couch towel afterwards & explain that i'm removing all traces of tan so they won't end up with orange palms. Hope this helps x

I spray up and down also. I only add a tiny bit of aqueous cream to fingers knees and elbows.

I've found after quite a few trials on friends that its best to do one coat all over except for feet and hands. For them I wait till the end and turn my gun down slightly and apply about 3 lighter coats which doesn't give any heavy developing to tin knuckles or toes, which I originally had problems with.

Lots of really helpful advice on salongeek which has also been a god send :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thanks again for all the advice - I am busy tanning this week so will let you know the results!

thanks again for everyones advice - the up/down spraying is so much better - coverage is easier to get even and the cost saving on solution over spray is massive!

Just to remind you, a barrier cream is not a fail safe cream. It reduces the risk but does not STOP the solution soaking in if your application is less than perfect. Have a word with you trainer and see what they recommend

I don't use a barrier cream, I use a small amount of vaseline on the palms and finger & toe nails and then wipe it off after the session lightly blending from the wrist to the forearm so no line is visible. I find using vaseline also adds a bit of protection to the palm once the client leaves as no matter how many times you say "please avoid touching your skin" it's human nature to do so! so it helps reduce the risk of the dreaded tanned palms!!

I tan up and down across from the right then back again for the second layer. I use a buffing mitt or couch roll to wipe the sides and back of the feet so there's not give away signs it's a 'fake' tan, which I dislike. We know it's a spray tan but it should look natural wit no obvious give away signs.

I'm pretty sure the barrier creams are just moisturisers so if you wanted to use one you could use an oil free hand cream instead of a tan branded one :p

I use oil free moisturiser from sunless solutions it's called drench2quench, smells absolutely gorgeous & really does work, (I sometimes pinch a bit when I get out the shower & my skin feels so soft) on clients I use it on hands & feet, elbows, knees.

I used to use LA tan barrier cream didn't like it, then used aqueaus cream for a short while but found it kind of oily/sticky even using a small amount, I got a sample of drench2quench & now I'd never use anything else. x

Latest posts

Back