Spray Tan Professionals ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly I am defenitely not trying to offend anyone, so apologies in advance to anyone that might not agree or like what I am wanting to say.

I am starting to get a little concerned about the lack of "Standardized" training ( if that is even a word) in the spray tan industry. I am finding quite a few posts asking questions which you would expect to have been covered in training, or am I wrong? We all grow older and get more wrinkly, not all clients are young and fresh faced. Shouldn't training cover all skin types and shapes. Larger breasted ladies are more difficult to tan than slim petite women but again, training should prepare you, shouldn't it? Spray tan solution not pale enough? Training and Customer care from supplier springs to mind ( Doesn't it?) Settings on guns?, how do we tan naked people ?, do we tan men ?etc etc All things that one would hope to be covered or at least discussed in a good training session.

After years of spray tanning,( After training abroad and again doing a refresher in the UK ), I do feel for the new trainees embarking on a life of Spray tanning. Some courses barely last a morning and the girls are then "unleashed" on the paying public. I takes a bit of practice getting it just right and experience makes you more confident in your choices. I have heard and seen some horrendous stories and tans. Thank goodness there is such a friendly and supportive community on SG for them to turn to for advice and guidance, but it makes me cross that the trainers are getting the easy bit and we get to help pick up the slack.

Shouldn't training be more comprehensive, more expensive and more exclusive ?

Ok, thats me done. LOL

:Scared:Running to hide behind sofa waiting for the lashback

I agree :D My first round of training was appauling!! No gun settings, we were all slim young ladies there, nothing about contra indications, nothing about pregnant ladies, nothing about different brands. I just learnt a technique, which I don't use now lol! I trained a month or so after and learnt a million times more, day course and learnt pretty much everything.
But what can you do? And how would you know if a course is good until you go on it? xx

Too true, you dont know and there is so much competition for business out there amongst the trainers and suppliers. Hence the need for a proper comprehensive curriculum. Lets hope it all gets a bit better soon

I agree, but the same could be said of any training in the beauty industry (and no doubt other industries too).

When you can gain a qualification in a couple of days, something is wrong. So many courses do not meet minimum occupational standards and yet are accredited by popular professional bodies. All the time there is only voluntary regulation it will continue. I don't know how anyone can call themselves a 'professional' after only very basic (and below minimum standard) training, and it is very frustrating, not for other professionals, but also for those who, in good faith, train and believe they are meeting professional standards because the courses were accredited.

I agree, but the same could be said of any training in the beauty industry (and no doubt other industries too).

When you can gain a qualification in a couple of days, something is wrong. So many courses do not meet minimum occupational standards and yet are accredited by popular professional bodies. All the time there is only voluntary regulation it will continue. I don't know how anyone can call themselves a 'professional' after only very basic (and below minimum standard) training, and it is very frustrating, not for other professionals, but also for those who, in good faith, train and believe they are meeting professional standards because the courses were accredited.

I know, Its a nightmare, I stumbled upon a .... Wait for it!!!!!!
Reiki Master Practitioner course on E Bay.
OMG I have seen it all now.

Maybe we should set up our very own E Bay Master Beauti-practi-tanner Academy Qualification. Yours today no reserve bidding starts at 99p. Instant Degree ( Just fill in your own name and print on your home printer/scanner.) Accredited by the UK Society of Prevention of cruelty to customers.

( I am getting carried away now, any takers? )
:lol:

Couldn't agree more with what you have said and what the other posts have said.
Spray tan training in 3 hours, lash extensions in half a day!
Far too many people jumping on the training band wagon. Money is been made but too many people going out there and doing services with very little knowledge. Sometimes not even the basics!
No wonder some therapists are struggling, we have a new breed of therapist, under qualified, inexperienced and no knowledge if where to buy good quality products. So they get the cheap stuff, undercut everyone else and probably barely cover their costs! All because they have not had the education first!
Good training to me doesn't just cover how to do the treatment but everything that goes with it like your product choice, your equipment, your working area, your uniform etc!
I'm desperate to brush up on some of my skills and learn new treatments but I've had rubbish training in the past am know there's loads of it out there thy um reluctant to book without really digging deep and researching!

Hi

I am a trainer for Sunless Solutions and our course covers everything from about the company how spray tan solutions work with your skin, the meaning of DHA and how it works.
We cover frequently asked questions, areas of cautions, I get my client to fill out a consultation card and when her models turn up I get to go through the client card with them, we cover all contra indications, pre treatment information, preping the client, setting up your area both salon and mobile, how to decide which solution to put onto your client.

I go through the machine, how the gun comes apart for cleaning, trouble shooting questions if there could be a problem with gun how to find the problem. Setting the flow control on the gun finding the best setting, setting the spry nozzle.

I then go through barrier cream areas to use it on, I spray a model talking my client through the whole process, and then my client sprays a model with me watching, if she doesnt feel fully confident she can ask someone else to have a tan I do not leave my client until I know that they are 100% confident in all areas, I also cover the pop up tent because some people struggle to get the pop tent down. I show them tips on spray a bigger person, larger breast, bald head on men, hairy men, if a client is sweating whilst tanning, drying the client off. We cover the retail products benefits to your clients. For salons I cover the benefits of holding an open day / evening.

We always get our clients to send feedback to headoffice and we always get good feedback from our training.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself on [email protected]

I couldn't agree more with you on this.:Love:

The trouble is of course is that training providers who are not perhaps as they should be offer cheap or even sometimes free training if customers buy kits which unfortunately attracts the newcomers who don't really have qualified decision making attributes on such things so get easily succeed into the cheaper options offered by the bucket full

Its all rather unfortunate for sure :rolleyes:

Did anyone watch Geordie shore this year?

Spray tanning as a job, no training given, so no insurance. Just given the machine to play with....

*hand over face*

Did anyone watch Geordie shore this year?

Spray tanning as a job, no training given, so no insurance. Just given the machine to play with....

*hand over face*

Becoming a familiar story as the recession bites and individuals look at alternative ways to bring in the bacon into the household...and try and do it as cheaply as is possible.

Its not going to do our industry much good when there customers start walking the streets in tans not applied correctly or when bad publicity hits the press thats for sure :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you tanfastic.

I am due to complete Beauty Level 2 next month and spray tans were the chosen "add on" unit by our tutor. I am literally not joking when I say we've been told about contraindications and the way to spray tan and that is literally it.

Of course it's down to us to ask, since we're mature students we do ask but if you haven't thought of that question in the three hour lesson then that's where you come home and hop onto SG for the answer :)

Pretty much 90% of the women on my course are just doing it to make some pennies on the side unfortunately where as I'm doing it as a dedicated business added onto my existing nail services so I will always research to high heavens before I work with the public.

x

Hi

I am a trainer for Sunless Solutions and our course covers everything from about the company how spray tan solutions work with your skin, the meaning of DHA and how it works.
We cover frequently asked questions, areas of cautions, I get my client to fill out a consultation card and when her models turn up I get to go through the client card with them, we cover all contra indications, pre treatment information, preping the client, setting up your area both salon and mobile, how to decide which solution to put onto your client.

I go through the machine, how the gun comes apart for cleaning, trouble shooting questions if there could be a problem with gun how to find the problem. Setting the flow control on the gun finding the best setting, setting the spry nozzle.

I then go through barrier cream areas to use it on, I spray a model talking my client through the whole process, and then my client sprays a model with me watching, if she doesnt feel fully confident she can ask someone else to have a tan I do not leave my client until I know that they are 100% confident in all areas, I also cover the pop up tent because some people struggle to get the pop tent down. I show them tips on spray a bigger person, larger breast, bald head on men, hairy men, if a client is sweating whilst tanning, drying the client off. We cover the retail products benefits to your clients. For salons I cover the benefits of holding an open day / evening.

We always get our clients to send feedback to headoffice and we always get good feedback from our training.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself on [email protected]

I love Sunless Solutions, and used them briefly last year. I will defenitley use the solution again and I am glad to hear that the training offered by this company sounds fairly comprehensive. Well done. The better the trainer does her job, the better the technician is at hers or his and the better the product sells Winners all round

i did my spray tan training with the beauty academy. literally half a day, told us to use baby lotion as barrier cream, vaseline on the palms of the hands, gave us a book to read re contra-indications/actions, nothing about the different types of guns to use, or about the different types of solution out there, different body types and how to combat areas of loose skin to ensure no white marks etc etc list goes on! i learnt everything i know now at the salon i worked in. still don't know EVERYTHING as i posted a question on what to use for palms of the hands the other day as i was only ever told vaseline and never used it in salon! its terrible. looking back i dont know why i didnt go to the supplier of the tan for the training, but i didnt know what tans were available i guess. didnt know which one was best. would deffo recommend someone to put effort in though to find out what spray tan solution to use etc and train with them. also did nails with beauty academy as i didnt know what nail products were out there, had i known, id have trained with CND! probably would enjoy doing l&p much more than i did. and now im completely put off! x

Latest posts

Back