Spray Tan Starting New Mobile Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura C

Reaction score
Hi their

I am wondering if anyone can offer me any advice. I have recently purchased a HVLP system from the internet just a basic one which states it is for mobile use. I am really interested in Spray Tanning and am hoping to eventually start spraying my friends and family just for some extra pennies and for fun. One friend told me its fine to get started and just do friends and family howeber someone else told me I have to go for training and require insurance.
Does anyone know if I require insurance for this or specific training. I have received a manual with the HVLP that tells you all about the machine how to use it and how to apply and add solution etc. However I am unsure what solution to use and whether I actually need specific training to use the machine or if the manual is enough to get me started.
I am completely new to all this so am abit unsure! Thanks x :rolleyes:

You will need training and you will need insurance - my advise is to look around and sign up for some training

Hi and welcome to Salon Geek..if you are intending to spraytan payng customers there are many things to consider.
One being training and this you definatley need ..through training you will be able to take out insurance.
There are many many good companies out there that can offer this service..ring them all and ask for details on what they offer.
You can find them either by entering "spraytan" on the search button above or google it etc.

Please don't consider spraying paying customers untill you have adequate training,certification and insurance.
Good luck :hug:

Thanks very much for your reply! I wasnt too sure I presumed if I was tanning just friends and family I wouldnt need insurance. I'm so new to all this. But I'm really looking forward to it. I shall have a look on google and see if I can find any local training. How much does insurance usually cost?

Hi their

I am wondering if anyone can offer me any advice. I have recently purchased a HVLP system from the internet just a basic one which states it is for mobile use. I am really interested in Spray Tanning and am hoping to eventually start spraying my friends and family just for some extra pennies and for fun. One friend told me its fine to get started and just do friends and family howeber someone else told me I have to go for training and require insurance.
Does anyone know if I require insurance for this or specific training. I have received a manual with the HVLP that tells you all about the machine how to use it and how to apply and add solution etc. However I am unsure what solution to use and whether I actually need specific training to use the machine or if the manual is enough to get me started.
I am completely new to all this so am abit unsure! Thanks x :rolleyes:

Grrr :irked:.
Please don't talk about doing it just for fun.It is some peoples livelyhoods and on here we take training and doing things properly very seriously.
Yes you need training,yes you need insurance in that order.

Sorry I have offended you. That was not my intention I was simply looking for some friendly advice from people thats all I wasnt meaning to offend peoples livelyhood :cry: I'm doing this just for fun just now as I enjoy fake tanning and I do find it fun, I cant help that, unfortunetly I do not have any experience or training as yet to do anything else. Thats why I have posted this message to get as much info as possible about training and insurance so I can do things properly which I hope I can do. L x

Sorry I have offended you. That was not my intention I was simply looking for some friendly advice from people thats all I wasnt meaning to offend peoples livelyhood :cry: I'm doing this just for fun just now as I enjoy fake tanning and I do find it fun, I cant help that, unfortunetly I do not have any experience or training as yet to do anything else. Thats why I have posted this message to get as much info as possible about training and insurance so I can do things properly which I hope I can do. L x

hey Laura...be cool as I am sure no offence has been taken by anyone or intended :hug:

Maybe if you do wan't to get into this wondefull industry seriously you might consider contacting your local college and speak with them and see what you may need to do in order to do so.

This is a fantastic buisness to be involved in if you do it properly and have the right passion and desire:hug:

take care :)
Maybe give it some thought hey?

Hi their yeah I had thought about contacting the local college but no such luck for offering specifc training on spray tan more focused on beauty therapy more But I'm optimistic! So I'll keep checking google for any training thats within distance. Thanks:):):)

Hi their yeah I had thought about contacting the local college but no such luck for offering specifc training on spray tan more focused on beauty therapy more But I'm optimistic! So I'll keep checking google for any training thats within distance. Thanks:):):)

Laura...ring 01224 644300..ask for Nicole and job done :hug:

Please don't talk about doing it just for fun.It is some peoples livelyhoods and on here we take training and doing things properly very seriously.

With respect......
Bit harsh I think. She's come on here asking for advice so that she can go on the right route and do it the right way. Answers like this will turn people away before they've even gotten started on here.

Claire x

Hi Laura

There are lots of companies who train in tanning. We were trained by Tantrick for spray tanning- there is lots you need to know before attempting to spray tan someone. You can buy your tan solutions and bits and pieces from Tantrick too x

With respect......
Bit harsh I think. She's come on here asking for advice so that she can go on the right route and do it the right way. Answers like this will turn people away before they've even gotten started on here.

Claire x

I agree with Gillian , and I dont think she gave a harsh answer.

The original poster came on here and said she wanted to make some extra pennies and do it for fun on friends and family. She asked if she needed training and insurance, and Gillian replied yes she needed both.

I dont think thats harsh! She is saying what most professional spray tanners would be thinking and would agree with Gillian, and that it is some peoples livlihoods and take training and doing things properly very seriously. Thats all.

The original poster has now decided to look into training and has been given some good advice ,so thats good.

Elaine xx

I agree with Gillian , and I dont think she gave a harsh answer.

The original poster came on here and said she wanted to make some extra pennies and do it for fun on friends and family. She asked if she needed training and insurance, and Gillian replied yes she needed both.

I dont think thats harsh! She is saying what most professional spray tanners would be thinking and would agree with Gillian, and that it is some peoples livlihoods and take training and doing things properly very seriously. Thats all.

The original poster has now decided to look into training and has been given some good advice ,so thats good.

Elaine xx

Thanks for that Elaine :hug:. Quite a few people agreed but not on the forum.Maybe i did sound harsh but as i have just spent a lot of time and money to do things properly i was a bit cross.

Thanks for that Elaine :hug:. Quite a few people agreed but not on the forum.Maybe i did sound harsh but as i have just spent a lot of time and money to do things properly i was a bit cross.

well Gill...you certainly did do it the right way :hug:

I totally get what you are saying and I too have spent a lot of time and money doing the training in Nails, Beauty & Holistic therapies but I think this was taken too far the wrong way.
My first course was done 'for fun', but I soon found that I really enjoyed it so spent a few more years learning as much as I could and feel that I've really found my vocation, I love this industry and want to continue to learn; but... if that had been my first post in the same position that I was in in the very beginning, I would have found it really intimidating and it would put me off coming on here again. Can we just chill a bit, but still get our point across a bit more subtely?

Claire x

yes it is peoples livelyhoods and it is the same for me also as a seller of the spray units and tents.... i have more problems with other companys that sell spray units... as well as training..
the girl has got herself a tanning unit for her freinds and family and has decided it may be a good line of work part or full time so wants some training .... whats the big deal !!the trainer will get paid im sure !!
it stinks to think that she will not get trained as she has got her spray unit from another company than the the one that trains her..
to me this stinks....im sorry but iv had it with the crap you hear about the training i have passed on so much work to trainers but it seems all they want to do is sell the units for the company they work for ....and so be it if they want to buy it then thats fine , but just coz they have another unit from another company WHY SHOULD THEY NOT GET TRAINING !!
its like everything you do you do your homework and buy the best unit you have for the best price you can find,
i think i may upset a few with this but we all on here for one thing
advice and tips and also if there is a good deal to be had !!
at the end of the day 99.9 % run a buissnes and we all need help
.......and help each other .... sorry if i sound harsh too.. but i would not. not help anybody that had any problems
xx:smack:

yes it is peoples livelyhoods and it is the same for me also as a seller of the spray units and tents.... i have more problems with other companys that sell spray units... as well as training..
the girl has got herself a tanning unit for her freinds and family and has decided it may be a good line of work part or full time so wants some training .... whats the big deal !!the trainer will get paid im sure !!
it stinks to think that she will not get trained as she has got her spray unit from another company than the the one that trains her..
to me this stinks....im sorry but iv had it with the crap you hear about the training i have passed on so much work to trainers but it seems all they want to do is sell the units for the company they work for ....and so be it if they want to buy it then thats fine , but just coz they have another unit from another company WHY SHOULD THEY NOT GET TRAINING !!
its like everything you do you do your homework and buy the best unit you have for the best price you can find,
i think i may upset a few with this but we all on here for one thing
advice and tips and also if there is a good deal to be had !!
at the end of the day 99.9 % run a buissnes and we all need help
.......and help each other .... sorry if i sound harsh too.. but i would not. not help anybody that had any problems
xx:smack:

There's quite a few interesting points in this thread, that run throughout a lot of purchases made in this industry.....to be fair, usually people's first ones! It seems to me that people aren't necessarily comparing apples with apples when looking at equipment prices.

Thing is....when I went out and bought my first tanning system, I priced it based on both the unit and the ongoing support I would get...knowing i would need some, including training. Sure, I could have bought cheaper...unit only, but I was prepared to pay for a 'package' that included the follow up that I would need.

I'll give you an analogy. I could look at buying a car for say £5000, that includes petrol, road tax and insurance, or I have the choice of the same car at £4000 but with no petrol, no road tax and no insurance, so if I choose the latter.....why do I then have the right to apparently consider myself as hard done to.

OK, so we're all here to help one another professionally....but I do feel there are times here when some people take advantage of our professional knowledge. If I was hungry, but couldn't afford to go to a restaurant...I'm not going to walk into to one and ask the chef for his recipe, am I?

I love the fact that you and many others here, including myself, are really willing to help as many people as possible....and to be honest I guess I'm posting in general here and not so much about this particular thread....but sometimes I also believe there are some people who go into things a bit to blinkered and pointing out to them that harsh reality of the fact that they're after knowledge that costs, is actually doing them a favour in the long run.

and what you say is fine ! but as you say you pass you test and buy that car but someone has tought you to drive that car in the first place ! but did the want you to buy a car from them ? before they whould teach you !!
and the same you have passed your test you then have the right to learn anybody to drive .... im not saying im right here but we all need to start up in what ever we do from some point and all we can ask is advice..thats why most of us read most of the comments in the forums
and yes the after sales is a must in this game and i will stride to do my best as i think i have done for all the geeks who have got units from me
it just seems so wrong that training should be limited from sales thats all !!:rolleyes:

I don't think training is limited to where you buy your machine....you just have to be willing to pay for it - just like I did for those driving lessons!

Capital Hair & Beauty Ltd - Hairdressing & Beauty Wholesalers - Sunless Solutions Spray Tanning Course - 5 Hours

Spray Tan Training - Nail Systems International(UK)

Training Courses >> Tanning & Spray Tan Training >> Spray Tan Training >> Worcester/Worcs

aromatherapy training, massage training, refloxology training, beauty therapy courses, nail extensions training, beauty training courses across the uk - Northern College of Beauty and Holistic Training

On just a five minute search I found these - all of whom indicate that you don't need to buy equipment from them. Of course, some of them sell equipment too, its a profitable market at the mo...as you know....but training is a commodity too, and some companies recognise that. Capital, I know will train you on tanning only, because I personally went and did their course in my early foray into spray tanning. I then bought a package elsewhere and also did specific training with my then chosen supplier so as to know how to get the best out of the solution and machine combined.

Its all about balance....you need to show a bit of willing to get trained properly, for people to feel good about helping you! Like I've said before....my comments deviated somewhat from the original post and onto more generic stuff.

I guess its all a bit of a moot point anyway as the original poster doesn't look like she'll be with us again anyway.

Hi Laura

I did my training through Alan Howards, which is a wholesalers..they hold training courses in pretty much every aspect in the hair and beauty industry. Maybe contacting them would be a good idea!

Good Luck x

Latest posts

Back