Spray tan training - such a difference

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janjan1

Reaction score
Started spray tanning in April and got my kit and training from STC. I have been using fake bake but mainly doing friends and family. Recently I felt like giving up completely as I just didnt seem to be getting any quicker/better etc.

I rang my fake bake rep who came round and demonstrated what I should be doing. The method she showed me was completely different to what I had been shown in training. I did 2 tans last night which took 20 mins max. My friends said it is the best tan I have ever given them! I am so pleased.

Just thought I would share this if anyone else feels like giving up. Fake Bake have just brought out a solution which is 30% darker. Can't wait to try it.

Janine x

Well done you!! How did they tell you to spray that was so differant? Where do you think you were going wrong before? Do you just think you feel more confident having gone over training again? I know a few people who say that they dont feel confident so its good to hear that you feel good about your spraying now. let us know what the dark tan is like!

I was shown to keep my finger pulled on the trigger constantly going horizontally - loads of times which was really tiring. Took me about 20 for a slim person. Now I have been shown to increase my spray, 4 sprays down the torso, 3 down each leg etc etc. I just can't believe how quick and easy it can be without streaking and I was so lacking in confidence. Lets just hope my tan party goes as well this week!

Will let you know when I have tried the dark solution. Its supposed to last longer too.

Just out of interest, are you usinf an airbrush or spray gun?

I have got a mini mist spray gun

I do it side to side, and can do a full body in 10 minutes. Every trainer trains differently I suppose

Fair play, it's hard to imagine the diagonal unless you see it, I do up and down and it takes me about 7 mins to do a full body, I think at the end of the day it is really down to routine and experience.

Cathie! said:
Fair play, it's hard to imagine the diagonal unless you see it, I do up and down and it takes me about 7 mins to do a full body, I think at the end of the day it is really down to routine and experience.
i do it up & down too & it takes me about 6-10 mins max - if i hadnt had brill training i wouldnt have had a clue lol!

tinkywinky said:
I do it side to side, and can do a full body in 10 minutes. Every trainer trains differently I suppose

The body is vertical so i spray vertically, it makes more sense. Side to side you get more overspray and product wasteage. I do a full body in no more than 5 mins with a hvlp compressor.

Well I am just so glad I called the rep. I really did want to quit thinking I was no good. All re-motivated but now the local gym put massive poster up SPRAY TAN £10. I charge £15 which is average for our area. Hope this doesn't stop me getting new clients. Why does everyone have to undercut. They will be doing them for free next lol

You need to have confidence in you technique, Whatever the company and its training you need to be consistent in your spray pattern: distance from body and set up of your gun. Check out www.sunless.com FAQ for various different spray patterns.

janjan1 said:
Well I am just so glad I called the rep. I really did want to quit thinking I was no good. All re-motivated but now the local gym put massive poster up SPRAY TAN £10. I charge £15 which is average for our area. Hope this doesn't stop me getting new clients. Why does everyone have to undercut. They will be doing them for free next lol
wow thats cheap hun!! are you making any profit??

Fake bake have some good offers on their solution so yes. It is the going rate for a tan in my area I'm afraid. Would love to charge more. I charge £20 if mobile.

I too tan up and down and can do a full body in about 15 mins and I've only just started tanning. I'm sooooo glad I invested in proper training as I really wouldn't have had a clue and there would be some dodgy tanned people walking round my town! LOL

i have recently done a some spray tan and when the client called me back for a respray there was a big white gap around her neck. i was confused and didn't really know what to do. i carried out a spray tan and it looked good but was concerned about the neck it almost looked dirty. client also had white patches on inside elbows and behind legs (knees)
i was advised that the client should moisturise every other day too.
any suggestions and ways i can imrpove would be a great help to me? thansk

Firstly moisturing should be done twice a day (religiously) during the life of the spray tan. Preferably with a natural based moisturiser. Do you directly spray the neck? I spray the face from a further distance, and the overspray from this is enough to blend the neck. You dont want to spray the neck directly or too heavy as it will look funny and fade very obviously in that area. The white patches may be caused from the areas being sprayed too heavy or the client having a skin condition such as eczema.

Hope this has helped :)

i spray the face from the front then i get the client to put headto the side and then do sides.

I always use an oil free moisturiser on hands feet elbows and knees 1st. this prevents the tan grabbing on dry areas.

Can I just mention incase I put anyone off that My kit was fantastic value for money from STC and I have had positive feedback on their solution from clients. I have spoken to them over the phone and they have been more than helpful in advising where I was going wrong.

gemmac said:
i spray the face from the front then i get the client to put headto the side and then do sides.

Same here,but are you doing it really close? Hands, feet, face and neck should be sprayed from further away or with a quicker movement. The idea with these areas is to blend them not to try and get them really dark : )

Latest posts

Back