Spray tan vs manual tan help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Geeks.

Help me out here. Im a newbie to tanning but looking to train and introduce it to my pricelist. I dont have the room for a pop up tent and as much as Id like one I just cant squeeze it in.

I would like to offer manual tanning with the exfoliation prior to it but everyone has told me its always too light.
Can you get darker tans which give the same effect as the spray tans?

Also could anyone give me an idea of the better brands to go with for manual tan?

Thanks so much.

Zoe

Geeks.

Help me out here. Im a newbie to tanning but looking to train and introduce it to my pricelist. I dont have the room for a pop up tent and as much as Id like one I just cant squeeze it in.

I would like to offer manual tanning with the exfoliation prior to it but everyone has told me its always too light.
Can you get darker tans which give the same effect as the spray tans?

Also could anyone give me an idea of the better brands to go with for manual tan?

Thanks so much.

Zoe

I wouldn't say manual tanning is any lighter hun. St Tropez is a dark manual tan, that's what I trained with!

Is there anyway you could make your own spray booth? Something on the wall and floor? There was a thread on here the other week with lots of ideas
I only say this because I prefer spray tanning for many reasons
1) so much quicker than manual
2) more profit when spraying
3) people won't pay more for manual tan, but takes a lot more time
4) more effort involved in manual

Just a few reasons I personally prefer spray tan, although everyone has their own preference! Worth considering if you can make your own booth though. Have a little search on here for the thread, was very interesting and there were some fab ideas, all looking professional still! :) Good luck on your new venture :) hth xx

Does anyone want the manual these days?? I'd check it out first, it's all sprays now for the reasons glamour stated above! X

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have actually asked many of my customers and they all seem quite happy with the idea of manual tanning, they see it as more of a "treatment" I guess.

I would imagine the start up costs initially for spraying would be a lot more than manual?

:)

Have you explained to them that the cost of the treatment will also be more?x

No I havent. I have talked through what there preference as to what the treatment consists of at the minute and that is all.

Hey i am also looking into offering manual tan as i find most of my clients prefer this to spraying and spray tan has a much higher start up cost but I'm having trouble finding any manual tanning lotions trade size from the more well known brands? i trained with sienna x but i cant seem to find any manual salon size tanning lotion on their website, does anyone know where i can find it or any other brand recommendations, the only 944ml i have found is sun laboratories but I've never heard of that brand before? sorry for so many questions, any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Harriet

Since my post I actually decided to invest in Nouvatan Spray Tanning.

Manual still seems to be popular but more so for the full body exfoliation more than anything else, seems to be viwed as more of a "treat" if that makes sense.

I did a LOT of research inclusing questionnaires and in these I included the fact that Sprays are both more cost effective for the client and the therapist. The majority had/wanted sprays. Also I was always asked if I did spray tanning, never just tanning.

It has cost me a chunk to set up but charging the right price and with good marketing I hope to make it back with in a couple of months.

Hope this helps.

I completely agree with you the majority of my clients are slightly older and more into luxury treatments, so they love the body exfoliation and just having that bit of 'me time' i think i'll go with the manual tanning and put all profits towards a spray kit so i can maybe offer both, all though the sprays dont seem as popular in my area anymore, strange because im based in the heart of essex haha.

Thank you for your reply was very helpful, I've heard a lot of people talking about nouvatan on here, might have to look in to it! X

Latest posts

Back