Spray-Tan... Women Only???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has a 'no men' policy for any of their beauty treatments?
I work on my own (mobile) and feel very uncomfortable doing spray tans on nearly naked men... (unless they're FIT of course - only joking!)
I want to extend a women only policy for this particular treatment, and possibly any treatment, as I don't want to be alone in a strange man's house?!?!

Is this discriminatory? Can I publicly state this policy, or might it cause me probs?
Does anyone have any experience with this subject?

Thanks,
Laura x

when i have completed my training in this field i will do both men and women, i don't see a problem in tanning men they hold their bits in place, to me it would be just another client. Men tend to be looking after themselves alot more now and want pretty much all the treatments women have i.e tanning, waxing, facials, mans/peds etc. times are changing and i hope you can get over your nervousness (if thats a proper word) good luck!!! i personally cant wait to be let loose with all my qualifications and make the world beautiful!! LOL

i agree... to some extent.

However, I spray-tanned 2 male clients a couple of months ago, and realised the vulnerable position you are in when you are in someone else's house.
I am sure the majority of beauticians have no problems or incidents, but I do enjoy my job, and want to keep it that way!

If I was working in a salon with other therapists this would give me no concerns, but I think it would be naive of me to assume I am 100% safe in a mobile situation?

hi laura , i wont be treating men unless i have a client whos husbansd wants a treatment and the women must be present ill be offering sweedish massage etc so on my business cards i will be putting strictly women only xx

laurawade said:
i agree... to some extent.

However, I spray-tanned 2 male clients a couple of months ago, and realised the vulnerable position you are in when you are in someone else's house.
I am sure the majority of beauticians have no problems or incidents, but I do enjoy my job, and want to keep it that way!

If I was working in a salon with other therapists this would give me no concerns, but I think it would be naive of me to assume I am 100% safe in a mobile situation?

Hey, dont want to start a bad vibe off here, but any mobile work carries a risk, I wouldn't not go personally just because it is a man, but that again is a personal choice.

But its up to you and what you feel comfortable with...what about if you had a man ask for a manicure would that make a difference, or is it the half naked factor with tanning that makes you feel more nervious.

I always leave a list of the clients I am visiting with their address and phone numbers for my other half, as a precaution that is..

Hi there,

You can state 'no men'. The beauty industry is exempt from the Sex Discrimination Act, so you can state this without getting into trouble. You need to protect yourself at the end of the day and on a mobile basis you dont want to put yourself at risk. A salon may be a bit different, as you can have panic buttons fitted into the treatment rooms as extra security - but I personally would not go into a mans home on my own unless I knew it was a husband/boyfriend/family member of an already existing female client, even then I would insist that the female person was present throughout the treatment. I believe you can never be too careful. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the practical advice everyone,

Glad I'm not being totally paranoid!

Laura x

No you are not being paranoid, just taking the very sensible route of asking how other people handle this. The tips that have been posted about leaving the names and addresses are very sensible and maybe you could adopt a similar system.

With best wishes
Cathy

We do spray tan men in our Spa, but then again, it's a Spa. I think it's ok to do men, but practice caution/or have a "no men" policy if you are going to their homes. IT IS quite dangerous. You have to protect yourself, and that means not puting yourself in position where something can go wrong. Whatever you decide to do, be careful baby. *Hugs*

Latest posts

Back