Spray tanning a friend - not good!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEVERTOOTANNED

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been mobile spray tanning for about 6 weeks now using Sienna X. I did lots of friends and family and now have had about 10 customers also. I've not had any negative feedback at all but my friend (who has obsessive problems, she gets addicted to things easily) has recently been asking me to tan her and wants to go darker and darker.

Anyway, her first Sienna tan was fine but then went all streaky, I found out she's put almond oil all over herself the next day (I did advise no oil) and I explained this would strip it.

She had her Sienna tan on 5 days, we went to Excel and a Vita Liberata sprayed over her (now streaky due to oil!) tan but warned her it may be patchy as no prep, then just 3 days after she asked me to spray her again!!!! I did as she did some flyering for me, with the Vita Liberata Brazil (the darkest one).

Anyway (sorry this is turning into a long rant!) she's said today that she's really streaky and patchy and it's rubbish. I'm shocked as I've had zero complaints from clients and even manage to tan myself quite well too! I've tried explaining she's had 2 tans in 4 days and no prep as well as putting boots and tight clothing on after.

She has ADHD so doesn't really listen to aftercare or remember what I've told her - what do I do?!?!? I'm strarting to get a rel confidence knock on my tanning and worry about doing it for others now :Scared:

I've suggested waiting over a week, scrub it all off and start with a lighter sienna tan suitable for her skin tone and see how we go.

I'm just really upset and knocked by this!

PS I really don't like Vita Liberata either!

Its not your fault that it has gone streaky. You gave her the correct aftercare advise and its her problem that she didnt listen/take it. Obvs thats not how you would say it to her as it is quite blunt :/ if she wants another tan then do as you said in regards to waiting for the tan to fade then prep again. Tell her you can only have 1 tan per week if you want it to look good & NO OIL! Hope it goes alright :) xx

Last edited:
Well if she has had that many tans in that many days without removing each old tan before hand then what does she expect. Due to the oil that is is using that is stripping her tans and making them streaky, applying a tan over that is going to appear streaky as she will have darker spots on the tanned areas and normal tan on the stripped parts.

She needs to exfoliate and remove the tan completely before having another tan applied as she will never have the tan she wants. Refuse to spray her until the layers of her other tans have gone.

There is no need to be questioning your application, but it's not wise to keep spraying and spraying. Just tell her straight. Also if she is going out with your tan and complaining its going to do no good for your business. You say all your other clients are happy then there is nothing to worry about :) x x x

What everyone else said:)

Remember this is your business, and she is not making you look good.
Personally if it was me - I would stop tanning her altogether...not worth the hassle.

What everyone else said:)

Remember this is your business, and she is not making you look good.
Personally if it was me - I would stop tanning her altogether...not worth the hassle.
Yeah she is your walking advertisement. If she doesnt get that she cant have spraytans 3 times a week then id leave it. My brother has got ADHD & he doesnt understand the word 'NO' nor does he listen to anythng we say to him. She may be a lost cause if she thinks she can be tanned & tanned again & wont listen to aftercare :/ let us know how you get on :) xx

I don't spray friends no more. every complaint which I've had in the past have been from friends..

one friends mum had booked in, then she cancelled & I found out it was because my supposed friend had been slagging me off, saying they go patchy & I apparently make people look like lizards ... lol

I haven't spoken to her since.. do I care? NO I haven't got the energy for people like this.

I think friends always take the pee. well mine do. maybe why I haven't got many friends as I can't be bothered with people like that. X

Thanks so much for all of your answers. It really has made me feel so much better. I was getting so stressed out about it this morning! :lol:

I don't charge friends very much either, just to cover the cost of the solution so it's more a favour to them - so I may stop!

Just a question also, how much do you charge friends? I charge £5 but £20 to clients in my house and £25 if I go to them.

THANK YOU ALLL!!!!! :Grope:

Thanks so much for all of your answers. It really has made me feel so much better. I was getting so stressed out about it this morning! :lol:

I don't charge friends very much either, just to cover the cost of the solution so it's more a favour to them - so I may stop!

Just a question also, how much do you charge friends? I charge £5 but £20 to clients in my house and £25 if I go to them.

My cheapest is £10 and that's to family not even friends! I'd go down to £15 for a friend but my normal price is £20. I'm only mobile x

I don't spray friends no more. every complaint which I've had in the past have been from friends..

one friends mum had booked in, then she cancelled & I found out it was because my supposed friend had been slagging me off, saying they go patchy & I apparently make people look like lizards ... lol

I haven't spoken to her since.. do I care? NO I haven't got the energy for people like this.

I think friends always take the pee. well mine do. maybe why I haven't got many friends as I can't be bothered with people like that. X

Lol, so you have the new 'lizard' effect tan! People make me laugh when they say they've gone patchy or lizard like, and make out theve had a bad tan (uh, that's your before/after care!) my one client who is a regular went patchy but she was bright enough to realise I don't have a 'patchy' setting on my machine (she's still a regular). One time a woman accused me of doing a bad tan as she had a little round patch on her calf (how on earth can you miss a patch like that? Didn't use any creams so pretty impossible) turns out she had gotten dressed too quick and rubbed some off getting into her car!

Defo too cheap! I charge £10 for family and friends, don't forget it's not just solution it's also wear and tear on your machine which you may one day need to replace.

Don't forget sticky feet and barrier cream....it all adds up. I usually charge 20.00 and * special offers 15.00 *

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Thanks all so much for your replies, they are mucho appreciated! :)

I am going to start charging friends £10/£15 then. I think that's probably fair! I say that, it's hard to ask isn't it?!!?!?

I'm rubbish talking about money. I had a client last night who wasn't going to pay and it's only when I got to the front door I was like, oh, I nearly forgot the money! I made a schoolboy error of not having change on me also, so I had to take £20 instead of £25 as she on'y had £30. :o

I have learnt my lesson and will always keep £5 notes and change on me in future!

Happy tanning everyone and thanks again xx

It's not that hard just practice saying when they ask, 'sure it's £10/15 for you friends/family discount' if you owned a shop they wouldn't expect free or heavily discounted products as its your stock, same thing applies

Latest posts

Back