Spray Tanning - how long does it last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
I am a bit concerned with all the companies claiming that a spray tan can last up to 10 days - so far, the honest people have told me that it can last up to a week with good attention to moisturising etc - aftercare basically.

The skin exfoliates itself roughly (no pun intended) every 7 days so what could be in the solution if it can survive this process?

Well when Natalie has a tan it only lasts 4 days as she has very dry skin, but when I've had a tan it has lasted 14 days. Albeit quite faint by this time, but you can still see the tide mark!!!!

So it's not that companies aren't being honest - it's probably more likely others have something to hide by offering an inferior product. I can honestly say I have many clients that my tans have lasted 2 weeks, but when asked I say it can last anything frm 4 days to 2 weeks with 7 days being a rough guide.

Well when Natalie has a tan it only lasts 4 days as she has very dry skin, but when I've had a tan it has lasted 14 days. Albeit quite faint by this time, but you can still see the tide mark!!!!

So it's not that companies aren't being honest - it's probably more likely others have something to hide by offering an inferior product. I can honestly say I have many clients that my tans have lasted 2 weeks, but when asked I say it can last anything frm 4 days to 2 weeks with 7 days being a rough guide.

Same with me too.. most of my clients who come back a week later for a top up still have some of their tan on (even though they say they havent) they still have the tan line! But if a client hasnt moisturised or has particularly dry skin then they come back and its all gone within the week. It only lasts on me for about 5 - 6 days but when my hubby has one and uses the tantrick shower gel it lasts 12 - 14 days. It is all down to a quality product and clients skin type... as they saying goes.. you get what you pay for .. pay for an inferior product then you are more than likely have inferior results. There are lots of quality tans on the market today to pick and choose from ... I am just glad I picked on a winner to start with lol!

Same here I was told the same as Sassy when I trained between 5-7 days maybe longer depending on how the client does with after care & also skin condition. As also I guess it depends on each client as no two are the same!! :)

I had a Tantrick Spray Tan before Christmas and I had exfoliated beforehand...I also used my Solar Silk to moisturise my skin everyday after my shower....and my tan lasted about 10 days.HTH

Same with me too.. most of my clients who come back a week later for a top up still have some of their tan on (even though they say they havent) they still have the tan line! But if a client hasnt moisturised or has particularly dry skin then they come back and its all gone within the week. It only lasts on me for about 5 - 6 days but when my hubby has one and uses the tantrick shower gel it lasts 12 - 14 days. It is all down to a quality product and clients skin type... as they saying goes.. you get what you pay for .. pay for an inferior product then you are more than likely have inferior results. There are lots of quality tans on the market today to pick and choose from ... I am just glad I picked on a winner to start with lol!

You have missed the point, this is not about superiority/inferiority of tanning solutions.

There are many members on this site who are extremely satisifed with their tanning solution - be it Sienna Sun, Vani T, Tantrick, Fake Bake, Couture. St Tropez etc etc etc...

I was actually asking what is in the product to make it last this long EVEN during the skin exfoliation process.

The full skin cycle is actually approx 28 days!

Aaaaahhh I'm getting 7 days from what happens when you use sunbeds/get tanned!!! Can't you tell I'm no beauty therapist? :lol:

Yep! As posted by yourself on the sunbed thread

What is High Pressure Tanning?
We normally exfoliate (shed) our outer layer of skin once every 28 days.

As for why tans last longer on some people and not on others (say you are using the same product, so inferiority of product is not an issue), it is because everyone's skin is different. I have areas that cling on to tan (belly and hips), whereas other drier areas (like my legs) it is off within a week.

hth

Hi ladies

Great discussion again, and once again i think we come back to individual opinions and thoughts and preferences.

Wilst you have all been discussing this i have been looking at some medical site who state that when we are younger we shed our skin every 15-18 days and yet wehn we approach our mid-thirties it can extend itself to 28 days and yet other sites are saying 35 days, so, who do we believe?

I think we should go with our 'gut' feeling and offer what we feel most comfortable with without trying to influence others into what they may be believe to be the 'gospel'

Everyone has choice and not every solution will suit everyone and not everyones tan will wear off the same either, mainly because of different skin types and make ups and lifestyles.

Its good that we are all different isnt it? and as asupplier, i beleive that the 'miracle' product has not yet been invented that we are all looking for.

Good luck

The Tan Man:|

I try and tell clients about 4/5 days. If they are angels and moisturise loads then its a bonus if it lasts any longer. Unfortunately it seems to fade on the face quicker. I have tried all the above named solutions and unfortunately none of them work miracles.

I always start off with good intentions to moisturise twice a day but the enthusiasm soon wears off along with the tan!

I have found that my tan lasts up to 10 days... two weeks at a push.... but I have v v oily skin. I still have (dunno why) tan marks from sun bathing last yr and that is true (not gonna post a pic. Plus over the years I have become more olive skinned. If I have a dry skinned client, it doesn't last as long.
I always always say, between 4 and 10 days. I tell them it depends on prep, moisturising after tan, and of course the way their own skin sheds. They always think I've just had a tan.... I haven't in ages.
Oh and yes I do bath every day lol :)

Latest posts

Back