Spray Tanning - how popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Hi all, happy new year. Just a quick question - How popular is spray tanning? Im mobile (started business in november) do nails and makeup but planning on doing spray tanning in jan/feb. Just wondered whether it is something that is popular all year round or just at certain times such as xmas/summer/weddings? it will be sienna x i will be using.
any comments appreciated x:idea:

It is fairly seasonal but i was surprised that it can be quite a large part of the year.

I was glad i decided to take up this treatment. Do make sure you look at lots of spray tan companies and solutions to make sure you get the one that is most suitable for you and your clients.

yeh ive looked and decided on sienna as the one i want to use, had the samples n just wanna get started but obviously worried about this time of year being quiet as ive only been mobile for such a short time, but i am due to do a few wedding fayres and would plan on doing spray tan parties etc. Just hope i get clients for it

happy new year

i too want to offer spray tanning as i get so many request for it

good luck emerald

Since I changed my solution in April over to Vani-T I have kept better records of how many spray tans I have done and which % is the most popular.

Since April this year I have done the following:

April 30
May 39
June 34
July 31
Aug 3 (had operation so didn't work much of august)
Sept 7 (back in hospital so didn't work much of september either)
October 6 A poor month for some reason
November 12 Another quiet month - don't know why
December 41

That is an average of 22.5 sprays per month.

So, in answer to your question, yes I would say it is worthwhile.

I'd recommend adding a specific tan for weddings if thats what you are going to do. Most spray tan solutions are a brown colour....this is a guide colour for ease of application. It can however stain wedding dresses....not something your average bride wants. Most tans still have a residue of the guide colour after the first shower, and most brides want their tan as fresh as possible.

Its not always, in fact not often, it stains a wedding dress, but can be very upsetting to a bride if it does....it appears to be down to the fabric of the dress as much as the solution, but the main point is, that it is the guide colour and not the DHA or Erythrulose (which is the actual tanning agent)that does this. So get a solution that doesn't have a guide colour as wellas you regular solution. Naturasun do one, but I'm sure so do other companies.

You need practise....lots of....at applying without a guide colour, but it is usually a lovely resultant tan.

I'd recommend adding a specific tan for weddings if thats what you are going to do. Most spray tan solutions are a brown colour....this is a guide colour for ease of application. It can however stain wedding dresses....not something your average bride wants. Most tans still have a residue of the guide colour after the first shower, and most brides want their tan as fresh as possible.

Its not always, in fact not often, it stains a wedding dress, but can be very upsetting to a bride if it does....it appears to be down to the fabric of the dress as much as the solution, but the main point is, that it is the guide colour and not the DHA or Erythrulose (which is the actual tanning agent)that does this. So get a solution that doesn't have a guide colour as wellas you regular solution. Naturasun do one, but I'm sure so do other companies.

You need practise....lots of....at applying without a guide colour, but it is usually a lovely resultant tan.

An excellent piece of advice. :hug:

you beat me to this bit of advise,
especially as you plan on doing wedding fairs, there are quite a few different companies that provide a tanning solution without the guide colour

thanks for that, i will go for sienna system, but as was mentioned natrasun without a guide colour i think Young Nails supplier where i get my nail products from stock this brand so will def look into this, im sure i could find willing volunteers 2 practise on, but if someone wanted the sienna one would i just advise that the guide colour can stain and that if they wanted this get them to sign something to say they have been told this info and make them shower at least twice before their wedding day? sorry to be such a pain:confused:

You can usually buy aftercare leaflets from companies that sell tanning solutions, this type of information is on the leaflets,
i use sienna sun for the mo and they have the leaflets with prep procedure for the client and all after care advise hth

:oIve fancied getting spray tanning in to the salon , bearing in mind i only have a small treatment room it made me think about getting a portable tent spray tanning-
The only probem is the area im in re-generating so im worried in case i get it in but get no response-i do know spry tanning is very popular we used to do up to 18 a day on fridays, and few during the week.
I did think abou producing quetionaires to see if i cud get customers.
I do have a few therapists around my area but non that spray tan..

What do you think i should do?

:oIve fancied getting spray tanning in to the salon , bearing in mind i only have a small treatment room it made me think about getting a portable tent spray tanning-
The only probem is the area im in re-generating so im worried in case i get it in but get no response-i do know spry tanning is very popular we used to do up to 18 a day on fridays, and few during the week.
I did think abou producing quetionaires to see if i cud get customers.
I do have a few therapists around my area but non that spray tan..

What do you think i should do?
If none of the therapists around you offer spray tanning you would have the monopoly of the clients that want a spray tan, what are you waiting for, you have nothing to lose hun

Its definty worth it
I suppose i can always try ..
i think one thing which will work well is the retail products from St tropez.

Last edited:
To be honest clients much prefer to be sprayed by the therapist than a booth, booths are not fail safe they can miss bits of the body or put too much solution on a certain part of the body etc,
when you yourself are applying it to the client via spraying them you can see exactly where it is going and if you have missed anywhere or if any of the areas need to be blended in,
also you would be applying a barrier cream to the heels and around the feet and the other areas that need a bit of extra protection, this is not usually done when using a booth and i have seen plenty of disasters from the spray booth but not had one complaint yet (touch wood) from spraying clients manually and it is so much cheaper to set the whole system up rather than a booth that costs thousands,
you can still use st tropez for the manual spray and retail but again this is a brand i would not use, quite simply because clients can buy it from the high street stores so it is not a strictly professional solution hth

Very interesting thread!

In June we will have St Tropez come into our college and give us a days training in spray tanning. Once qualified this is something I would love tobring into the salon but just roughly how much does it cost to set up?

If it's not appropriate to post the amount please PM me.

Hi been spray tanning coming up to 3 years. It's a fantastic treatment to do. In terms of revenue - good income maker, and also something you can do quickly and make people feel great. Got to advertise obviously to get bookings.

Most popular from March to November, summer months being very busy.

I started with Sienna x but changed, didn't get the same repeat bookings as I do using Beau Bronz.

But thats just me

Good luck!!

Yeah i can see your point about it becoming available on the high streets, why do companys keep doing this?....
Look at L'oreal i think its just tacky now you can buy it anywhere..

Forgot to add, have you contacted the lovely people at spraytansupermarket.com, they are based somewhere in Lancashire and know the business inside out. Also offering training and solution as far as I am aware. It's worth a call. xx

Pure, i don't know the exact set up fees for st tropez but i do know it is dearer than most companies and as they all use more or less the same equipment it is the name that you are paying all the extra for,
when they come to college to train you they will no doubt have a catalogue with prices in for you to order from if you so wish

This thread is great timing. I have just booked a training day with Su-do and they sell a clear tanning lotion. I have only ever had 2 spray tans and did not know about barrier cream - thanks. I have been reading lots of threads on spray tans and there is a lot to learn and plenty of practice needed. I was at the Gmex show and was sprayed by Su-do and liked it. I noticed that Tantrick seems to be popular - does anyone use Su-do?

Latest posts

Back