Spray tanning larger ladies - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmah9

Reaction score
Hi girls , I have sprayed a larger lady today and been worried all day I've made a mess :( I've text her just to check it's ok and she's pleased and has booked me again only criticism she had was she wants to go darker next time ! Just wondered what we can do to spray larger ladies better I was struggling with the back creases as I just couldn't get in to them and was also scared it would be a mess with the skin rubbing , also underarm was a real problem as I could see she was sweating as I was finishing off and the tan was rubbing;( under the boobs don't even go there she must be White underneath ! My tanning trainer said to tell large busted ladies to put their arms up to get under Neath but trust me it wouldn't of made a difference for this lady ! What do you guys recommend ? xxxxx

I always ask my clients to lift up their boobs while i spray underneath and also to really stretch their arms up high so I can get to creases around the waist and back areas. If need be I will ask them to do a sideways bend from the waists with arms still up high to really stretch those folds of fat out. Make sure legs wide apart if they need to be.

Don't be afraid to position them, they will end up with a better tan.

Jacqui xx

I agree! all larger busted ladies i ask to hold up boobs and i do a little side to side spray underneath! When they have creases just get them to lean into a positoin that opens the crease, for example put right arm up and stretch if u are doing a crease on right side of back! also I ask them to bend over to do the bottom creases, infact a lot of my not so large clients do that as there is a natural crease line there! Good luck! x

Its deffo a case of you taking control and not being afraid to tell them how you want to stand.

Thanks ladies , I think I'm just a little scared of asking them to lift boobs incase they think I'm rude but better than doing a bodged tan, I think il b very polite and just give them the option kind of thing :) x x

Say it straight out just as if you were asking them to take their shoes off, this will give them confidence that you know what you are doing. If you are a bit wishy washy or sound too apologetic the client will pick up on it and start to feel embarassed or uncomfortable.

Jacqui xx

Get her to lift her boobs up first spray it then take the tube out your gun and dry her off. You only need to spray this area the once

As for creases/love handles get her to bend to the side while you spray the area. tell her to move in to a position that will straighten the creases out. Also get her to lift her knees up or to squat while you spray her knees as chubbier knees hang over the knee creating a white line if you dont spray in the crease.
As for armpits get her to apply a small amount of barrier cream this will stop build ups and sweat.
If you find she sweats to much ask her to go in a more cooler area of her house (kitchen maybe) and turn your gun down. the sweat will make her become more sticky so turn your gun down and if need be do a extra layer than normal. HTH

Get her to lift her boobs up first spray it then take the tube out your gun and dry her off. You only need to spray this area the once

As for creases/love handles get her to bend to the side while you spray the area. tell her to move in to a position that will straighten the creases out. Also get her to lift her knees up or to squat while you spray her knees as chubbier knees hang over the knee creating a white line if you dont spray in the crease.
As for armpits get her to apply a small amount of barrier cream this will stop build ups and sweat.
If you find she sweats to much ask her to go in a more cooler area of her house (kitchen maybe) and turn your gun down. the sweat will make her become more sticky so turn your gun down and if need be do a extra layer than normal. HTH

I have no idea what this is all about .. I am not doubting you do this I just don't know why you have to dry her off?

I use the St Tropez tanning unit so I have never come across this idea before.

Jacqui xx

Thanks so much everyone xxxx

HI, I use the back of my hand to lift the boob one by one and spray lightly underneath, just ask quickly if they mind never do, always surprised if its a first client they never had such thorough tan before..bum cheeks same thing or they can lift each leg and you spray under bum cheek if you dont wanna lift that bit! back creases I lift or they lean to side or stretch up depending on depth of creases. you are only ever so lightly spraying dont over do it no point its only to blend tan in. big chins ask them to look up, knees i get them to bend. Agree totally with others be in control, ask them to do these extra movements and they will feel reassured by you not uncomfortable.x

I find big busted ladies are used to holding their boobs up, they have to if they use a sun bed so it's not a problem, I explain that I'm going to do that bit first and then do their legs so that they can continue to hold them up for the couple of minutes it takes for the tan to dry. For that crease under the bum cheeks, I ask clients to do a leg lunge, so step forward and bend the forward leg at the knee, it's a little bit more dignified then asking them to bend over, especially when I'm crouched down behind them. For those body creases, as others have said ask for a side ways stretch and don't be afraid to use your hand to lift skin if needed, you're wearing gloves anyway and I find if I'm chatting away it all seems very normal, not awquad at all.
Under arm sweat, it doesn't matter, in the summer I've sometimes tanned guys who have been sweating enough that the tan takes on a green tinge and it makes no difference to the finished tan at all. It's only the guide colour that looks a bit strange.
Calm confident and show you care that you are giving the best service you can, that's what counts and what keeps them comeing back to you. This lady obviously is delighted with your care for her so, enjoy:hug:

I have no idea what this is all about .. I am not doubting you do this I just don't know why you have to dry her off?

I use the St Tropez tanning unit so I have never come across this idea before.

Jacqui xx
If you get them to lift their boobs, spray and then they let them go, underneath their boobs are still going to be wet so you dry them off a little bit first.

Thank you.

Never had this problem.

Jacqui xx

As a larger lady (ahem!), my advice would be the same as everyone elses, we don't bite and we know we have bits that sag and wobble so if we're game enough to get a spray tan we're game enough to have to lift and stretch so don't worry about it! :)

Here here Tracey, I was one of those larger ladies we are all talking about when I had my daughter at (17st) and would have preferred to bend and stretch to get a better tan x

Agree with what everyone has said apart from lifting their boobs for them, I'd never dream of doing that, I just ask them to lift up while I spray underneath.

As well as chubby knees I've had chubby ankles at front of foot so get them to point their toes to get that bit too.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I put disposable hats on their hands before they lift so they don'y mark their hands, does anyone else do this? or is it a waste of time? I dry underneath too so as to stop tan rubbing from body to boob if that makes sense!

I put disposable hats on their hands before they lift so they don'y mark their hands, does anyone else do this? or is it a waste of time? I dry underneath too so as to stop tan rubbing from body to boob if that makes sense!
I don't use anything, I just get them to lift their boobs first before doing anything else. That way you are only spraying under the boobs and drying straight away. Then I spray the rest as usual. I don't have problems with them getting tan on their hands.

On the couple of occassions I have sprayed myself, I do under each boob first, dry and then do the rest, I don't get any on my hands.

I start with my clients face and neck and then ask my clients to lift up their boobs with their hands placed halfway up and spray underneath. I then continue from the shoulder chest etc and onwards with my routine. There is no tan spray anywhere else at that moment so I have never needed to use anything to protect their hands.

It doesn't matter what other people do if you are comfortable with the way you do things, but its always interesting to get lots of other views on the same subject.

Jacqui xx

Thanks everyone for your really helpful and honest replies much appreciated x x x x

Latest posts

Back