Spray tanning to drop or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyxperts

Reaction score
In thinking of dropping spray tanning from my treatment menu and turning my booth into a stock room or to install a shower, I just feel for the amount of tanning I do (10% total) it's not viable to have a dedicated room, equipment & stock. My salon is known more for skin treatments, nail care, waxing & eye treatments. Has anyone else dropped tanning from their menu? I've spoken with another salon owner who has done this and turned theirs into an extra treatment room (mines not big enough!), her reason been that she can earn more money per hr than a £10/20 spray tan and that she finds clients having tans applied in their homes by £10 spray techs than venturing out to a salon. What are your thoughts? X

I have given a lot of thought to this recently, I live in an area that people will spend money, but there is always the younger clients who will go to someone cheaper who can do a 'tan for a tenner', or nails for £15.Even people doing there own for friends that buy fake shellac etc and have not been trained - the You Tube crowd.

I have now completely changed what I do - Reflexology, Bridal Make Up, Massage and Facials and I rent a room on an ad hoc basis so therefore can charge a reasonable amount and still make a reasonable amount(taking into account rates and parking- as it is in the centre of town) .

Quite a few local salons don't offer tanning, like you due to needing a dedicated space that can be used for better a money making idea.

Tanning is great, but tends to be busier seasonally.

If it isn't worth it for you, dont offer it.

Im mobile but I charge the same as my 1 local salon that offers tans (£20).

Xx

I can't actually remember the last time I did a spray tan. We would pop a tent up in our old space and do it in the treatment room. Everything got a lovely layer of spray on it.
We've now moved to our new premises and have a spare room that is currently full of Christmas decs. I had thought of making it a dedicated tanning room but the demand for us is so not there.

I bought some fake bake hand applied tan for me to use, which to me is still the nicest colour and wear so may offer that and see what happens!

If we get much busier I would consider giving it up completely as like you, we are so busy with other treatments!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could stock a decent sunless tanning retail product like TAN-OFF fake tan removal mitt that would sell even though you don't offer custom spray tanning. You could stock a decent retail sunless tanning product mousse etc. There are some great rapid 1 hr tan 200ml self tanning mousses on the market that would sell, y not include a mitt or a tan off create a cool self tanning retail pack I'm sure you will have customers who like their sunless tanning.

Everyone looks better with a tan preference of outcome, light, natural, dark, essex look etc. So i would keep some sort of association with tanning for your beauty business if you don't want to have a customized professional spray application by a therapist and feel you can generate more money other ways and your customer base :) Good Luck

Personally i prefer having a spray tan from a decent therapist using a nice solution, correct percentage. Its quicker, not as messy, better finish and i hate self applying tan :))))

I use & stock St Tropez which is what I'm trained in, I've been spraying for 10 years - there are so many £10 offers with cheaper solutions in my area, which I think attracts younger clients, my clientele is 30+ who prefer anti ageing treatments & nice nails over a tan x

Latest posts

Back