Spray tanning vitiligo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry-brown

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Is it possible to hide vitiligo with spray tanning?

I have a client who asked if I sprayed her would the vitiligo still show through.. I thought it would unless i tan a little heavier over the lighter skin..

Please advise,

Many thanks

x

Depending on the severity of your clients vitiligo there are many different outcomes of spray tanning them. You could offer your client a patch test on top of the condition to see what would happen. Hope this helps!

great thank you ladies x

I have a client with vitiligo and I spray the lighter patches with a darker solution to the rest of her.
It doesn't completely cover it but it does mask it a bit.

I have a client with vitiligo and I spray the lighter patches with a darker solution to the rest of her.
It doesn't completely cover it but it does mask it a bit.

Great, thank you x

My close friend ask me to have a go at hiding her vitiligo ,this attempt was made before I looked on here .
Its not bad for a first attempt just went with what I thought would work.I dabbed 12% on the patches then sprayed over with 10%.
It probably could have another spray of 10% all over the next day.
2012-07-15 18.04.39.jpg

2012-07-15 19.02.01.jpg

It is certainly possible and if done correctly almost indistinguishable. Takes some work and a bit of patience but it looks fabulous.

Last edited:
My close friend ask me to have a go at hiding her vitiligo ,this attempt was made before I looked on here .
Its not bad for a first attempt just went with what I thought would work.I dabbed 12% on the patches then sprayed over with 10%.
View attachment 17510

View attachment 17511

It looks really good!!

View attachment 17510

View attachment 17511

Well done, I think you did a great job x

I have a client with vitaligo and find that st Tropez covers it - she said in the past she has found some brands don't take we'll but st Tropez does the trick, I just spray her a bit more on the lighter parts xxx

Hi guys! I had a call today from a black lady who has vitiligo. She has said about 40% of her body is affected and wants a spray tan to mask it a bit.
Now I have attached a picture, but I'm not sure that the solution I use will be right for her? I use brown bitz and have tannned mixted race girls before no problem just gives them a lovely dark glow.
I said I will spray her, then make sure she is dry and then maybe use a mitt with more solution to blend more? But I don't want to meet her and it looks like crap and she's left unhappy? I would rather refer her to a more experienced tanner who will do a good job. Or just tell her I'll do the best job I can?
Any advice?

Attachments

• 2012-08-14_23.27.57.jpg
    2012-08-14_23.27.57.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 842
Hi guys! I had a call today from a black lady who has vitiligo. She has said about 40% of her body is affected and wants a spray tan to mask it a bit.
Now I have attached a picture, but I'm not sure that the solution I use will be right for her? I use brown bitz and have tannned mixted race girls before no problem just gives them a lovely dark glow.
I said I will spray her, then make sure she is dry and then maybe use a mitt with more solution to blend more? But I don't want to meet her and it looks like crap and she's left unhappy? I would rather refer her to a more experienced tanner who will do a good job. Or just tell her I'll do the best job I can?
Any advice?

Why dont you PM AvivaLabs, I know that they have some famous black ladies on their client list. He could recommend the best solution for you to try out

Any other advice?

Any advice?

Yes hon, the only other advice I can give is what your training provider should have, so you can either have a look through your training manual for the info you need, take the advice already given or let us know if you would like a vitiligo masterclass. I dont mean to sound mean , but this should have been covered in your training, even just a little. There are enough threads on here discussingnthis so am sure you can find the information you need.
I know it is a little more difficult with the big contrast in skin color but the secret is to find the correct color solution before you start, hence the advice regarding AvivaLabs
Vitiligo is a common ailment for Spray tan techs to come to grips with and many of us have regular clients, but we are not here to train technicians, only to advise. If you have not been trained to do this, you might want to send her to a tech that has the expertise.

I too have a regular client with vitiligo in patches all over her body and face i just take my time with the spray tan and double spray the lighter areas of vitiligo and i use sienna x 8% and it works perfectly every tym and gives her a real confidence boost :D

Yes hon, the only other advice I can give is what your training provider should have, so you can either have a look through your training manual for the info you need, take the advice already given or let us know if you would like a vitiligo masterclass. I dont mean to sound mean , but this should have been covered in your training, even just a little. There are enough threads on here discussingnthis so am sure you can find the information you need.
I know it is a little more difficult with the big contrast in skin color but the secret is to find the correct color solution before you start, hence the advice regarding AvivaLabs
Vitiligo is a common ailment for Spray tan techs to come to grips with and many of us have regular clients, but we are not here to train technicians, only to advise. If you have not been trained to do this, you might want to send her to a tech that has the expertise.

Tanning vitiligo was not covered in my training at all and I think I trained with quite a reputable company. Well one which seems very popular on here anyway.

Tanning vitiligo was not covered in my training at all and I think I trained with quite a reputable company. Well one which seems very popular on here anyway.

Yes you did train with a popular company and I have only heard good things about them, my point is that training varies greatly from company to company or even country to country.

Most companies now seem to do the "abridged" version where conditions such as Vitiligo are swept under the carpet so to speak, in reality if you had one or two clients with this complaint they would probably be regulars until they retire or you do. It is a very good earner, they are reliable clients and you are really helping someone feel better about themselves. Not just for pure vanity either.

We often come across posts on here where Geeks dont know how to adjust the settings on their equipment, how much solution to use, dont know much about contra indications etc etc. All I am sure feel that their training was good but once in the real world you start noticing where it all starts falling down.Or even more disconcerting, posts from Geeks who have done their training and find that it was really not very good at all.

The company you trained with do offer a good after sales service and I commend them for that, so please don't feel that I am starting a witch hunt for bad trainers or bad companies or in any way trying to insinuate that one is better or worse than another. All are different in many ways and especially newbies to spray tanning don't know what to look for in a training course, price is almost always the deal breaker which brings us right back to square one. Training providers cant offer a full day or a 2 day course at a price that could compete with the less expensive ones, so they have to choose what to keep in the training syllabus, and what can get ditched. And so it goes on.

Thank goodness for SG and Geeks like all of us on here who try to help and also try to encourage newer Geeks to ask the right questions and search for the answers too.

PS I wonder if it is maybe covered in the Advanced Tanning Techniques that some companies offer as a further training course which usually covers body contouring and increasing sales etc..

Latest posts

Back