Spray tanning: what's in a name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm training with Sienna X in Nov and in the meantime trying to work out who go with! I don't have anything against Sienna X - and haven't ruled them out - it's just that I booked my training with them aaages ago because of the name/reputation and since then have found out that there are a zillion other companies out there, some better known than others, but each with a loyal fanbase!

I know you all have your faves having painstakingly gone through dozens of samples, but what I'd like to know from all you tanning geeks is:

- How much does the "name" of your product help win clients?
- Do you offer more than one brand and if so why is this?
- Do new clients ask/care what brand of tan you use?
- Do you think you've ever lost a potential clients because they're not familiar with your brand?
- To those of you doing a roaring trade with lesser-known brands: Do you feel it was harder to start with because your brand was lesser known?

All feedback greatly appreciated!
x

As long as you believe in your product then that is all that matters. I have had a lot of people say they want a St Tropez or Fake Bake tan because they are well known but they have had Sienna ones from me and have been really pleased.

I like Sienna but I am about to change over to Organics when I run down as the colour is so nice and natural, even my die hard sienna fans have been converted!!!

So you see its not necessarily the brand more they way you sell it to your customers :)

Hi all

I'm training with Sienna X in Nov and in the meantime trying to work out who go with! I don't have anything against Sienna X - and haven't ruled them out - it's just that I booked my training with them aaages ago because of the name/reputation and since then have found out that there are a zillion other companies out there, some better known than others, but each with a loyal fanbase!

I know you all have your faves having painstakingly gone through dozens of samples, but what I'd like to know from all you tanning geeks is:

- How much does the "name" of your product help win clients?
- Do you offer more than one brand and if so why is this?
- Do new clients ask/care what brand of tan you use?
- Do you think you've ever lost a potential clients because they're not familiar with your brand?
- To those of you doing a roaring trade with lesser-known brands: Do you feel it was harder to start with because your brand was lesser known?

All feedback greatly appreciated!
x

Hi, I did a lot of research on here before deciding which company to train with. I had a short list of what I was looking for. I did find one that ticked all the boxes for me but still had to try the tan. I wanted one that was as natural and organic as possible, but that would't be any good if the tan went orange lol. So the company sent a rep out to speak to me and demo the tan on me. I had had quite a few tans before, and this was by far the best I had tried so I went with them. Once you are trained you will be able to order samples from other companies to try for yourself, a few companies do demos which was perfect for me.

The name of the product I trained with and use now wasn't very well known when I started, but it had a large celebrity following which made things a little easier, but it wasn't massively well known. I have had a few people find me online wanting a Vani-T tan, but most of my business comes from word of mouth.

I did offer a few brands for a while, as I was dabbling in a few different tans, but eventually went back to Vani-T as this was the tan I had most confidence in and it never let me down. So for me this is where I was more comfortable.

A lot of my clients had never heard of Vani-T, but liked the idea of a 100% natural tan with loads of organic ingredients, and obviously love the results as they keep coming back and recommend me to their friends.

I don't think I have lost any clients because I don't use Fake Bake or St Tropez, which I would say are the most well known and marketed brands out there for the general public. In fact I have actually gained some new clients because they didn't like those particular brands and wanted to try a different one (I'm not saying these are bad tans, they just didn't suit these particular clients).

So in short my advice would be to go with the tan that you like best, regardless of how well known it is, as your confidence and enthusiasm in the product is what will keep people coming back for more.
Good luck xxx

we took on LA TAN over a year ago at the salon when we were struggling to get hold of fake bake.... Now, at this point I had die hard fake bakers coming to me. But i had run out and fake bake were not living up to a delivery I had placed weeks before.

So, La Tan it was! now I only have ONE fake baker left, the rest have moved to LA. I love LA, I then became an LA trainer but we use LA in the salons and training academy.

Moral of this story?? La does not have the name that fake bake has, but I believe that its success in our salon has been because we believe in it 100%.

So whichever you stock, believe believe believe . Offer incentives , offer to spray peoples tummies for free so they can try it out themselves without a risk.

That is what we did and now we havent looked back.

tigixxxx

im st tropez! all the way! Love the products, love the smell, love the packaging, and love the finished effect! Yes its slightly more expensive but client know it and understand its more expensive because of the quality and are happy to pay for it when its something they know will give them good results.

:)

Most of the clients I have had dont even care about the brand, they just ask me what I think is best and what will suit them.

I stock both Fake Bake and Organics. I find the younger clients love Fake Bake and the clients that are 25+ are happy with the organics.

I think both tans offer something different so I sum up the client and advise what I think will be best for them.

To be honest I dont think they care they just say "as long as it doesnt go orange and doesnt smell too bad!"

Thanks for your replies! Anyone else? x

Latest posts

Back