Spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
I am charging £15 for the spray tan (no one will pay more at the mo) the bottle costs £x (almost) after VAT and delivery. Of course, I then have to supply stick on feet, hat, pants wet wipes etc etc.

I am not sure that Spray tanning makes as much profit as I originally thought.

Am I doing something wrong???

I have only been in the trade a year and I am very quite. I also offer

waxing, massage.

I need to make some money HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am charging £15 for the spray tan (no one will pay more at the mo) the bottle costs £x (almost) after VAT and delivery. Of course, I then have to supply stick on feet, hat, pants wet wipes etc etc.

waxing, massage.

Hi Rosie

Are you mobile or salon based?

For salon based I would price your tans at around £18-£20.00 and for mobile £25.00 upwards. However, for parties (5/6 or more in one go) you could offer reduced prices of £15.00 each or £18.00 each and the hostess gets hers free. You only have one lot of petrol to pay and only put your tent up once so this will pay off.

You could do offers such as:

full tan £25.00 i/c complimentary file/polish to toes
Holiday package (wax and tan) - obviously leave 24hrs after wax to tan

That might encourage some business, but if you are mobile and only charging £15.00 for a tan, then you have nowhere to go for seasonal offers.

Just an afterthought, when I put my acrylic prices (nails) up last year from £20.00 to £28.00 I got more calls!

At the moment the tanning side of things has been quiet, just booked 6 tans in this week because the sun has been shining here!

Hope this helps - if you need any ideas for tanning parties, either do a search on here or pm me!:hug:

Last edited by a moderator:

waxing, massage.

Just as a guide the cost of solution per spray should work out no more than 10-15% of the treatment costs so even at the amount you are charging it is commercially viable.

You should also be using around 35ml per application so if you divide that into 1000ml and the cost you pay...the treatment costs are very low.
It seems to me that from what your posting that it is the number of customers using you that needs to be increased.

Get your business cards and flayers out there...offer a special offer...recommend a friend and you get £x off kind of thing.

Good luck :hug:

Could you say what machine you are using as this will make a difference to the profit you are making? I really do think its worth doing as a treatment as I believe its the biggest earner in most salons. please let me know[/B]

Last edited:
i use st tropez in salon. the cost of treatment is £3 - £4. i stick with rrp that sttropez suggest and charge £25. let clients go for cheaper tans else were they always come back as you get what you pay for.

Instead of using sticky feet then why not use couch roll with a little barrier cream for clients to stand on. You could still offer the disposable underwear but at additional cost maybe.

I do have disposable underwear but most of my clients just say they don't want them.

You could get rid of the sticky feet and use bed roll
I don't offer paper pants as nobody uses them
Buy a couple of washable shower caps
Get some decent flyers , go to a local printers and get distributing, there is money to be made out there if you are prepared to put the hard work into it.
Where do you advertise at the minute?
Do you have return customers, if not you have to ask yourself why not
If you do ask them to refer to a friend and you will give them discount off their next tan
Try putting your prices up, it works. a lot of people may be looking and thinking £15 is cheap she may not be very good and go for the dearer one, sorry but I would. Try it for a month and see what happens.

thanks for all your useful comments. I would like to get some decent flyers can anyone tell me how to go about this?

xx

[email protected]

Hi

there are lots of print shops in city centres etc that will probably do you a run of 5000 for x amount of pounds.

Think about your wording carefully - don't advertise your prices on these as you will have them for quite a while (5000 is a lot). Just advertise your services, products, name and contact details and whether you a re mobile or in a salon.

Go round and get some quotes before you decide. Perhaps do a mock up of what info you would like on them. Also try places like vistaprint and see what prices they are offering.

Good luck!:)

Hi I find Vista print cant be beaten round here for cost, they look very proffesional and you can play around with the design untill your happy with it.:hug:

Do you have return customers, if not you have to ask yourself why not

I've heard this mentioned alot, and have to say that where I live, there is not a huge demand for all year round tans. I suspect it depends largely on the kind of folks who live in your area. I have a couple of regulars, but most of the clients that come into the salon only have a spray tan as they are going on holiday or for a special event. I know from talking to them (and also friends), that even though they love their tans, they have no desire to have them all year round.

I am curious though, so please, all those who have lots of regulars, is there a typical type of person who has an all year round tan?

I charge £20 for a full body tan but there is a place near me that is doing it for £13 at the moment!

I think at £13 their clients are mainly teenage girls. I have found that I still get lots of referrals for the tan I do (tantrick). People don't want to take the risk of a dodgy tan and the price of £13 says "dodgy tan" to me!
I know this may not be the case but I seem to do ok considering I am £7 more.

If you build up a good rep and use a quality product you can charge a good price which will give you the profits you require.

Hope this helps. :)

I like the idea of offering the fil and polish after the tan-I think I will offer this as well!
I have done allot of number crunching where spray tanning is involved, and even if you use all extras involved i.e. caps, tangas, stickey feet and wipes the profit margin is high! If you are finding that they are low, I would look into your suppliers prices and maybe see if you can get them discounted or on an offer.
hth
x

I've heard this mentioned alot, and have to say that where I live, there is not a huge demand for all year round tans. I suspect it depends largely on the kind of folks who live in your area. I have a couple of regulars, but most of the clients that come into the salon only have a spray tan as they are going on holiday or for a special event. I know from talking to them (and also friends), that even though they love their tans, they have no desire to have them all year round.

I am curious though, so please, all those who have lots of regulars, is there a typical type of person who has an all year round tan?

Hi

I have a couple of regulars (every 14 days) who are dancers. But like yourself, most are just special occassions and holidays.

I actually dont agree with that, I have had alot of people coming to me after having st tropez and fake bake because they dont like it. You're probably just a good spray tan technician. I think its a bit quiet at the mo, it will pick up when the short skirts come out xx

i use sienna x, iv been doing it for over a year i did try another comapny but i got a few complaints i started by offerin a couple of free tans a month to the radio and things really picked up i charge £25 mobile and £20 if they come 2 me of u believe in your product dont loose out by lowerin the price!

I'm not a spray tanner (yet) but it doesn't matter what you are selling, the technic is the same.
Getting your name known. Get a street map of your town and divide it into quarters. Four weeks in the month, each week cover 1 quarter of your town with leaflet drops,at least 300 but 500 if your feet can stand it:), every 4 weeks you go back to the 1st area you covered, you will get results this way. If you put local useful phone numbers on the back of your leaflet its less likely to be put in the bin, rather it will be kept by the phone.
I have quiet a few friends who don't have a full body tan, the thought of stripping of is just not something they are prepared to do. So they get their legs done. Around here that costs them £10 it lets them wear their skirts without the milk bottle legs and they do spread the word.
My feeling is that as a shy client gets to know you they will be more comfortable with the idea of a full tan and that will get you your regular clients.
Do you have your card at the wedding dress shops?
How about chatting to your hair dresser, he/she offers your voucher to all her clients, you do the same.
Have you got a university near you? If so I'd put a poster up offering a discount with their student card.
Play groups are another good place to advertise.
Gyms are another.
Do you know anyone who runs virgin v parties or Ann summers?
Again thats a good one for vouchers.
As others have said £15 is to low, I would price at £20 with your offers 10% less and your vouchers set at £5
Lastly don't forget those loyalty cards just like the coffee houses x number of tans gets you a free tan or if you offer other services one of those free. Which in turn promotes more of what you do.
Work hard and play hard, if you put the ground work in, you will get the results, there are always lots of other people offering the same services as yourself, but clients will come to you because they like you not because you are cheep.
Good luck hun:hug:

Soooooo many good ideas!!!! I came on here this morning to pass the time, but i'm now completely inspired & all fired up to go get em!!! XXXXX

I don't supply any sticky feet or paper knickers. Reason being is sticky feet the clients were tripping up over them in the tent and paper knickers no-one wanted. Instead I wipe the feet with wipes afterwards and protect with barrier cream beforehand. So there's two overheads gone. For £15 to include all that you aren't going to make much profit. I charge £20 and have a lot of returning clients.

I think Sticky Feet are an absolute must-have. They're hygienic, the ones I buy are spongey and comfortable leaving little or no sticky residue on the soles of feet, therefore no barrier cream before or wipes afterwards are required. Yes they are an additional small cost, but an essential one in my book and they make a good impression of a professional service. I always carry disposable underwear althought not many are asked for, and even with all that I still make a good profit xx

Latest posts

Back