Spray tans - 2 coats or 1 coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy89

Reaction score
Who sprays with 1 coat and who sprays with 2? I was taught to spray 2. eBay would you say are the Benefits and disadvantages to both?

It doesn't really matter if you use 1 spray or 2 to do a tan so long as your applying the correct amount of solution and your spraying every part of the body.

If your doing your routine once then your gun will need to be set to allow more solution through so that you apply the 40/50ml of solution out of the gun in one spray.
If your doing your routine twice then your gun will need to be set to allow less solution through so that it takes you 2 sprays to apply the same 40/50ml of solution.

When starting out it can be advantageous to spray twice to limit the chances of missing any parts because your unlikely to miss the same part of the body on spray 1 & spray 2 (unless you've forgotten a whole section of your routine).

It can also be a disadvantage to want to spray twice as a beginner as you need to learn to set your gun correctly so your not spraying on too much solution in those 2 sprays (too much solution usually makes for an orange tan and bad snakeskin fade off).

If you start out doing 2 sprays from training when you become more confident in your routine you will most likely choose to go from doing the routine twice to turning the gun down & doing it once. So long as your still only applying the 40/50ml of solution the tan should turn out the same.

Hi Roxy , i think baggy Bear has explained it perfectly . TBH you are just looking for 1 light even coat, do not waste time or money on spraying twice. If you need darker then just spray with a higher % . xxx

You wil get a lot of clients asking to be sprayed twice as they think it will make them darker no matter how many times you explain your only deepening the guide colour I do one spray and charge more if anyone wants 2 which I do explain to them at the time

My sister is one of the clients who tries me to convince her to spray her again. this is after I have sprayed her twice! Because she is my sister she goes in a childish huff with me when I refuse. She always loves the result After aswell lol xxx

I have always sprayed twice for my own peace of mind, I use the same amount for everyone, regardless what size they are. I don't waste any product and charge the same.

I may have mentioned this before but the
1st coat; covers it
2nd coat; if mainly for your own peace of mind with regards to a even guide colour
3rd coat; for their peace of mind if they have really pale legs, a slight dusting wont really make a difference- 10 secs...

Realistically 2 coats are what you aim for. You can normally tell if you have missed, but that's very rare unless you have a colourless/guide-less solution. xoxo

I always do two and always will. It gives me peace of mind as it allows me to be having a good check over my client on the second spray. You don't need to be spraying them again everywhere but just use the gun on the areas where you think it's needed. When we trained we were told only to do one layer but having done literally hundreds of tans I am much happier with this way....and so many people do all the things they shouldn't no matter how much you advise them...shaving legs being the worst... so tan is often absorbed into the pores. In my opinion legs always need two sprays for sure.

Latest posts

Back