"Spray tans stop you from tanning in the sun"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amount of Melanin present in the skin determines the colour we will turn in the natural sun.

The tan itself is the body's warning to us and its defence against the sun.

Fake tans don't contain Melanin.

And if they do, I have never heard of it before so will go off and research it.

Baffled by this :o we have got no SPF in our tans. we advise people that they can still sunbathe if they wish to and that they will still SUN tan if they have a spray tan to go on holiday. but that they would have to use a suitable sunblock or spf cream. Somebody has got there wires crossed, i will be sending a memo out to all the trainers this morning and posting something on the Facebook page thank you for bringing this to our attention. we actively discourage sun bathing. you dont need to sunbathe any more. thats why we developed the product to look so natural and called it NO UVA TAN

Steve could you post a link to your facebook group?

I cant get it to come up!

Thankyou!

I have been pronouncing it Noovatan. I didn't make any link in the spelling Nouvatan to No UVA tan. :o :lol:

I have read that your skin can actually be more sensitive to the sun within the first 24-48 hrs after a tan. I always advise my clients that it is not a sun block and to use an oil free protection x

if you mean sensative after a spray tan then this is not correct at all.
In fact if you combine UV to the skin immediatley after a spray tan it seems to speed up the tanning process of the dha
Indeed in some countries,particularly the USA it has become popular for salont to offer this to there clients....a spray tan followed by exposure to UV.

I have been pronouncing it Noovatan. I didn't make any link in the spelling Nouvatan to No UVA tan. :o :lol:
It is pronounced new va tan but it's spelt no UVA tan kind of a play onthe spelling it does what it says on the tin like the fence spray cuprinol lol

Mmmm the way I understand the melanin pigments does not offer protection the way natural melanin in a "real tan" does?

I'm not sure I understand... Sunless tanners don't contain melanin pigment, they contain DHA which reacts with the skin, essentially dying it... Have I got the right end of the stick? X

It is pronounced new va tan but it's spelt no UVA tan kind of a play onthe spelling it does what it says on the tin like the fence spray cuprinol lol

I thought it sounded and looked quite chic! But I totally get what you set out to achieve now. Blindingly and obviously so! :D

The amount of Melanin present in the skin determines the colour we will turn in the natural sun.

Yes, there is a little more to it if anybody is interested...

UVA radiation oxidises existing melanin, turning it darker, but also encourages Melanogenesis.

So it's the existing melanin that has been oxidise plus the products of melanogenesis that determine the depth of our tan.

if you mean sensative after a spray tan then this is not correct at all.
In fact if you combine UV to the skin immediatley after a spray tan it seems to speed up the tanning process of the dha
Indeed in some countries,particularly the USA it has become popular for salont to offer this to there clients....a spray tan followed by exposure to UV.

Actually a number of studies have concluded or suggested that someone who has recently used any kind of self tan with dha in it is more susceptible to the sun. So not entirely incorrect.

I tell all my clients to wear sunblock.

The tan itself is the body's warning to us and its defence against the sun.

Fake tans don't contain Melanin.

And if they do, I have never heard of it before so will go off and research it.

Don't they contain meladoinins. Similar but not the same as melanin?

Don't they contain meladoinins. Similar but not the same as melanin?

I had a quick google of 'Meladoin' and 'Meladoinin' and looked in the index of my degree level biochem textbook and I can't find it in either.

I'd be interested if you could find it.. Is it listed on the ingredients of your solution? X

I had a quick google of 'Meladoin' and 'Meladoinin' and looked in the index of my degree level biochem textbook and I can't find it in either.

I'd be interested if you could find it.. Is it listed on the ingredients of your solution? X

I spelt it wrong. Sorry. Melanoidin is the brown pigments produced when using self or spray tans. Or so my research has taught me. When the dha in the tan makes contact with the skin it reacts to make melanoidin x

After a quick search melanin is said to have an SPF 2. Which we all know is ridiculously low and not enough to protect anyone from the sun x

I spelt it wrong. Sorry. Melanoidin is the brown pigments produced when using self or spray tans. Or so my research has taught me. When the dha in the tan makes contact with the skin it reacts to make melanoidin x

Yes, "Melanoidins" are a type of molecule that are formed when sugar (DHA) reacts with amino acids, i.e. those in the layer of dead skin cells. Sorry, I think I got a bit confused as I thought you meant the spray tan solution itself contained said molecule! x

Yes, "Melanoidins" are a type of molecule that are formed when sugar (DHA) reacts with amino acids, i.e. those in the layer of dead skin cells. Sorry, I think I got a bit confused as I thought you meant the spray tan solution itself contained said molecule! x

Sorry no my mistake I explained it entirely wrong xxx

i was told by my nouvatan sprayer that it will stop me from catching the sun, so to have my next one a few days before my holiday.

I must admit i didn't understand it, as i'd read on here about warning clients about nil uv protection in solutions.

what? You will burn if you don't protect

^ Yes, this has already been cleared up.

Latest posts

Back