"Spray tans stop you from tanning in the sun"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unas escarlata

Reaction score
This is what a client told me her friend who is a tanner told her. Now I've never heard of this - why on earth would it? Am I missing something??

I suppose her friend may be using a solution that stops the sun penetrating!?!?!?!?

As\far as I am aware you can tan through spray tan, as I always tell my clients when they go on holiday that the solution does not contain any spf so they must use an oil-free and deet-free sun factor.
x

I suppose her friend may be using a solution that stops the sun penetrating!?!?!?!?

As\far as I am aware you can tan through spray tan, as I always tell my clients when they go on holiday that the solution does not contain any spf so they must use an oil-free and deet-free sun factor.
x

Exactly, all sunless tanners must warn that they do not provide protection from the sun. Heck you can burn right through a t-shirt in the hot Florida Sun, so a thin layer of cosmetic won't stop that. I still burn/tan my face when I wear foundation. It may in fact slightly reduce how tan you will get, but I wear sunless tanner and still tan and burn very easy in beds or the sun. No worries.

This is what a client told me her friend who is a tanner told her. Now I've never heard of this - why on earth would it? Am I missing something??

well UV tanning and sunless tanning use completly different processes to tan the skin
Most solutions ,if not all,do not incoperate a sunblock addative as this may cause problems with the solution getting into the skin to do its job

Most reputable companies will advertise this fact on there label...in fact some will even provide a warning that there spray tan solution containes no sunblock and reccomend that a sunblock is used for those wishing to tan outside in the sun
HTH

I have read that your skin can actually be more sensitive to the sun within the first 24-48 hrs after a tan. I always advise my clients that it is not a sun block and to use an oil free protection x

What oil free protection would you recommend? Don't all suntan protection products contain oil?

Clarins, hawiann tropic Nivea all do oil free sunblock sprays and creams. X there's a fair few about

I was told by my Nouvatan sprayer that it will stop me from catching the sun, so to have my next one a few days before my holiday.

I must admit I didn't understand it, as I'd read on here about warning clients about nil UV protection in solutions.

I was told by my Nouvatan sprayer that it will stop me from catching the sun, so to have my next one a few days before my holiday.

I must admit I didn't understand it, as I'd read on here about warning clients about nil UV protection in solutions.

Well unless nouvatan has SPF in it im kind of thinking the sprayer is talking absolute tosh! X

Brilliant! That fills me with confidence for rebooking!

I already have a white run mark down one leg and trying not to be paranoid that people will now think I wee down my leg!

Brilliant! That fills me with confidence for rebooking!

I already have a white run mark down one leg and trying not to be paranoid that people will now think I wee down my leg!

I would perhaps consider a new sprayer. And if u really like nouvatan maybe they could suggest one in your area x

Thanks, but there is nobody else in my area. It's a shame, I was happy to have regular ones at least throughout the summer.

Sorry for the slight hijack, I will return to being a reader of all things spray tan. Thanks for your input PP.

Thanks, but there is nobody else in my area. It's a shame, I was happy to have regular ones at least throughout the summer.

Sorry for the slight hijack, I will return to being a reader of all things spray tan. Thanks for your input PP.

Be blunt tell her she's wrong and that can she make sure u have no white streaks as last time u did. Be honest. And she should be then trying hard to make u stay with her x

You definitely can tan through spray tan or any sort of fake tan for that matter. I have done plenty of times. It's really good on holiday as you never notice the fake one fading off as the real one's getting darker!

I use St Tropez and Nouvatan and sent my new colleague on the Nouvatan trainig course 3 weeks ago.

She was told the same thing.

I have been using St Tropez for 10 years and have never heard of this.

I have advised her to tell clients there is no sun protection and they will tan through the fake tan.

Jacqui xx

I was also told this on my recent nouvatan training...
How strange

Hopefully Steve or Dawn will bob on soon...

Baffled by this :o we have got no SPF in our tans. we advise people that they can still sunbathe if they wish to and that they will still SUN tan if they have a spray tan to go on holiday. but that they would have to use a suitable sunblock or spf cream. Somebody has got there wires crossed, i will be sending a memo out to all the trainers this morning and posting something on the Facebook page thank you for bringing this to our attention. we actively discourage sun bathing. you dont need to sunbathe any more. thats why we developed the product to look so natural and called it NO UVA TAN

Last edited:
The pigment Melanin (responsible for sun induced tans and the skin colour of ethnicities originally from very sunny areas) does offer some protection from the sun... So this may be where this girl has gotten confused.

The pigment Melanin (responsible for sun induced tans and the skin colour of ethnicities originally from very sunny areas) does offer some protection from the sun... So this may be where this girl has gotten confused.

Mmmm the way I understand the melanin pigments does not offer protection the way natural melanin in a "real tan" does?

Latest posts

Back