Spray tans that do not give the dreaded orange

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using LA Tan for about 18 months now but haven't gained that many new clients. I don't know whether it is because I use LA Tan (maybe I'm just a cr*p spray tanner!!) but I am thinking of going back to Sienna purely because they are a recognised name. There is a lot to be said for how well known the product is. Doesn't necessarily have to be a better brand, people just like a brand name.

I have done a like for like comparison between Sienna and LA Tan on my legs and there is no difference to the colour, the fade off is slightly better with LA Tan in fact, but people don't know LA Tan. If I am being compared against another spray tanner in the area that does use Sienna X and the client knows the brand, they are more likely to go for the other spray tanner. IYGWIM?
Why on earth offer a tan that is actually not as good? Educate your clients, get them excited about the new and improved tan. Make them proud to be different form the other 20000 all having Sienna X. TBH I have heard awful stories about that one particular product and the Techs, I imagine it is the outfall from too many trainers and too many fast track techs. In my circles it has lost it's glow ( Can't mention names)

I would say try a few samples if the more popular brands used in this site and other high end salon only brands eg Nouvatan. I have just started with them but also use Xen As I wanted a well known brand to begin with.
If YOU use your expertise and choose the tan and % instead if client, there should never be an orange result.
As far as I've experienced it is too much DHA on skin than hasn't enough natural melanin to react with the chemical that causes orange tones. Hence the reason palms turn orange- no melanin!
Good luck sampling x

I would say try a few samples if the more popular brands used in this site and other high end salon only brands eg Nouvatan. I have just started with them but also use Xen As I wanted a well known brand to begin with.
If YOU use your expertise and choose the tan and % instead if client, there should never be an orange result.
As far as I've experienced it is too much DHA on skin than hasn't enough natural melanin to react with the chemical that causes orange tones. Hence the reason palms turn orange- no melanin!
Good luck sampling x

Jolie69 is nearly correct.

DHA reacts with the Keratin in your skin to create pigments called Melanoidins. The reaction is called the Maillard Reaction. Melanoidins are very similar to Melanin which is the pigment created when the skin is exposed to sun light.

Everyones skin is different and it is vital that you follow tanfastic's advice and provide a consultation for each client in order to establish their skin tone and type. Once you have this information you can recommend a suitable product for your client. The orange colour is a direct result of overloading the Keratin in the skin with DHA. It does not matter who's product you are using if you over load the Keratin your client will go orange and that is a scientific fact.

Fortunately for us professional tanners the way someone tans naturally is a very good indicator as to how much DHA the Keratin in their skin can handle.

We teach our students to identify skin tone first, cool or warm, this dictates which tonal line to use and then to identify the skin type using the Fitzpaterick scale, this dictates the % DHA range that will be suitable for that client.

Jolie69 is nearly correct.

DHA reacts with the Keratin in your skin to create pigments called Melanoidins. The reaction is called the Maillard Reaction. Melanoidins are very similar to Melanin which is the pigment created when the skin is exposed to sun light.

Everyones skin is different and it is vital that you follow tanfastic's advice and provide a consultation for each client in order to establish their skin tone and type. Once you have this information you can recommend a suitable product for your client. The orange colour is a direct result of overloading the Keratin in the skin with DHA. It does not matter who's product you are using if you over load the Keratin your client will go orange and that is a scientific fact.

Fortunately for us professional tanners the way someone tans naturally is a very good indicator as to how much DHA the Keratin in their skin can handle.

We teach our students to identify skin tone first, cool or warm, this dictates which tonal line to use and then to identify the skin type using the Fitzpaterick scale, this dictates the % DHA range that will be suitable for that client.

Please can you explain the Fitzpaterick scale as i have not heard of it.
I was just taught to apply light if client is very pale and freckly and does not tan at all. med tan for client with a bit darker complextion and tans a bit, dark tan for dark complextion and tans very well.Many thanks.xx:Love:

Pop a search in to google, it is basically all the backoround info, eye and hair color etc

Skin Tones | Tone Chart

Laurens way tan is amazing, with a really natural fade off, not patchy at all , all my clients are addicted to it! They think it's fabulous and it smells lovely too!!! I've tried and tested most of the tans on the market.

Latest posts

Back