SSW - acetone, opposite reactions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotnailz

Reaction score
Why is it that when acetone comes into contact with acrylic it breaks it down, causing it to soften and enabling removal?
Yet, when doing sculpting, it is advised to mix your monomer with a little acetone for it to set quicker.

Why does it do completely different things??

I can honestly say I have never, ever heard of putting acetone in monomer liquid....and would never do such a thing. The guys in the Research and Developement depts spend years creating monomer liquids...Who am I to slosh some acetone in and ruin the composition.
If I want a faster set...I will get a faster setting monomer.

Where were you told this? I am intrigued lol:|

Aha this would be nice to know. just wondering, as you add in acetone when scultpting, does this initially make it harder, or take longer for you to soak of the extensions when sclutping to normal applications or does it not differ at all. Thanks :) ps sorry to make it 2 questions and not one lol :p

I can't remember where I originally heard that, but I was talking to a tech aquaintance only recently and she uses Young Nails. Said that she was told that on her course.
If this is an 'urban myth', i'd love to know, as this sounded strange to me - that's why I posted. Love to know if it's true and why?

The only time I have heard of adding acetone to monomer is when doing 3d work this is because it makes the product more pliable and drier to work with.

The only time I have heard of adding acetone to monomer is when doing 3d work this is because it makes the product more pliable and drier to work with.

So you have heard of this? It's not just me imagining it?

So you have heard of this? It's not just me imagining it?

Nope you haven't Imagined it babes but it is just for 3d work as far as I am aware of.

i haven't tried this method , but i have read about it a few times on here ..
i was wondering though, doesn't the acetone affect your brush in any way ?

i was wondering though, doesn't the acetone affect your brush in any way ?
I would assume (possibly wrongly) that you would use a different brush for 3D work if using acetone as an additive?

yeah i would imagine too ..but i thought acetone dried out the bristles ?
and you would need your brush supple and kept in shape to add the detail

mabey it doesnt as its only a small amount and no longer pure ?
ooh another baffling chemically one lol ..im never gunna get to bed again tonight :green:

Well here's something else I have never heard of before. I would honestly say that adding acetone to your monomer for building a nail was an absolute no no. But that is because I've never heard about using it as an additive.

Now for 3D work, well, this is something I find really interesting I really wasn't aware that this can be done. But now I do!

Why is it that when acetone comes into contact with acrylic it breaks it down, causing it to soften and enabling removal?
Yet, when doing sculpting, it is advised to mix your monomer with a little acetone for it to set quicker.

Why does it do completely different things??

Ok, firstly, I now know I didn't dream this! Secondly, what I meant to say is that I saw it recommended in use for sculpting 3D nail art, not just sculpting a set of nails....i can see where i have confused people.

So back to my original question - Why does it help 3D set quicker when added to monomer and yet will cause acrylics to soften during soak off?

So back to my original question - Why does it help 3D set quicker when added to monomer and yet will cause acrylics to soften during soak off?
When acetone is exposed to air (oxygen) it evaporates. For example, when you take your enhancements out of the acetone during removal you will see that the product will begin to harden again unless you keep them immersed.

So, when using it in 3D art you are not constantly soaking the product in acetone, you are using it as an additive, which is exposed to the air, which evaporates and hardens.

Yeah?

There's a little well kept secret that art competitors don't tell all.
Things you don't see in technique videos.
Try putting a few drops-maybe 5-6 of straight acetone in your dappen dish of liquid/monomer and see what happens. The acrylic will become firm but stay workable for an extended period of time and allow you to mold and play with the petals and art work in acrylic-that did the trick for me. I had tried to do 3-d flowers for ages and it always either was too wet and I couldn't get the dimension I wanted or so dry it would set up.Give it a go and let me know if this works for you too!
I would never use acetone in monomer to do nails for a client--talking about nail art here.

There's a little well kept secret that art competitors don't tell all.
Things you don't see in technique videos.
Try putting a few drops-maybe 5-6 of straight acetone in your dappen dish of liquid/monomer and see what happens. The acrylic will become firm but stay workable for an extended period of time and allow you to mold and play with the petals and art work in acrylic-that did the trick for me. I had tried to do 3-d flowers for ages and it always either was too wet and I couldn't get the dimension I wanted or so dry it would set up.Give it a go and let me know if this works for you too!
I would never use acetone in monomer to do nails for a client--talking about nail art here.

Tiger Jay, I see where you're coming from!

NailNana - your explanation sounds very interesting and I will give it a go and let you know what happens. Thanks both x

It definitely works doing 3d work - I watched Greg Salo of Young Nails do it at Excel...... but it is only for 3d work though. Greg explicitely said never to add acetone to monomer for any other purpose.

The benefit for 3d work, as has already been stated, is that it make the product non-self levelling and set quicker. So it stays where you put it and holds its shape.

hth's

I cannot help but think BABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, chemicals like this should not be mixed unless it is absolutley without a doubt recommended by the manufacturer......jmo!

Darlene:suprised:

Trang Nuygen uses straight acetone and powder when doing 3d. Never tried it myself either straight or mixed with monomer.

Latest posts

Back