SSW - Are oxygen facials really good for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Okay bear with me on this one as this is a result of reading all those books I recently bought! This is what Paul Begoun has to say about Oxygen facials in her book The Beauty Bible ...

"Here is the most pathetic but clear-cut demonstration of how insane the world of cosmetics truly is. After selling us products to ward off oxygen's effects on the skin (the word antioxidant means anti-oxygen), the beauty industry then sells us products that claim to provide oxygen to the skin. Doesn't the beauty industry have anything better to do?

Oxygen depletion is one of the things that happens to older skin. Unfortunately, delivering extra oxygen to the skin doesn't reverse it. Oxygen on the surface may affect the very top layer of skin, but so what? How much extra oxygen does skin need? No one knows. Can it be absorbed? No. Plus, none of this answers the question about oxygen generating more free-radical damage."

Now logic tells me that what she is saying is correct, but somehow it doesn't seem right! I mean after all Free Radical Damage IS the key topic about skin damage, and one of the main factors of this is the unstable oxygen molecules that lose an electron so scavenge the good cells to grab a new one. That cell in turn scavenges for an electron off another cell and so it becomes a domino effect. An ANTIoxidant is able to donate that lost electron and so stop the domino effect.

So if on the one hand we are saying your body needs ANTIoxidants and one of the main selling points of so many beauty products now is they have ANTI oxidants in them ... then why does OXYGEN therapy not just create further free radical damage as Paula states?

This is not intended to knock people's brands or machines ... but I am so confused and my mind is too logical to accept "it just does".

At the moment though Paula has saved me thousands on equipment as the jury is very much out with me!

i wouldnt be able to answer that question, but as far as i am aware, what has been said would be correct.free radicals are perpetuated when unstable oxygen molecules are scavenging the skin, and thus introducing more oxygen could consequently have the same effect.
As far as oxygen creams are concerned, they only penetrate the top layer of the skin, and so the temporary effect i assume would be positive, but oxygen machines - i have no clue? :confused:

Thanks hun, yup that's how I see it! I really don't mind if people answer if they have info about the oxygen machines OR creams. Just why would we want to apply oxygen when it is a contributor to Free Radical Damage. It is such a paradox that one of the elements that gives us life is also destroying us!

I have done so much reading up about this and I am getting more and more confused. It does still seem that there is still a lot more research needed before a conclusive answer about FRD and Anti-oxidants is fully known.

Ok Sass - this is how I understand it (so therefore it could be totally wrong :lol: )

Anti Oxidants are good :green:

But

Anti Oxidants work best from a natural source - so for example you will get plenty of vitamin e (which is good for the skin - look at creams such as E45 and the equivalent) from a tomato AND lots of other benefits such as beta carotene, lycopene and some flavonoids, which all interact with the vitamin E for increased benefit.

Even supplements it is believed, do not work as well as natural ingredients.

So in my opinion Sass you probably will be better keeping your hard earned dosh in your pocket and eating plenty of fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary, grapes and pomegranates :green:

Ok Sass - this is how I understand it (so therefore it could be totally wrong :lol: )

Anti Oxidants are good :green:

But

Anti Oxidants work best from a natural source - so for example you will get plenty of vitamin e (which is good for the skin - look at creams such as E45 and the equivalent) from a tomato AND lots of other benefits such as beta carotene, lycopene and some flavonoids, which all interact with the vitamin E for increased benefit.

Even supplements it is believed, do not work as well as natural ingredients.

So in my opinion Sass you probably will be better keeping your hard earned dosh in your pocket and eating plenty of fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary, grapes and pomegranates :green:

I have read this also, however it is believed that by the time the body has taken what anti-oxidants need that when they get to the skin that there is very little left to go around which is why GOOD atopical anti-oxidants do work.

It's just the whole issue of why then would we want to apply oxygen if we are saying that ANTIoxidants is what is needed. it doesn't make sense!

I have read this also, however it is believed that by the time the body has taken what anti-oxidants need that when they get to the skin that there is very little left to go around which is why GOOD atopical anti-oxidants do work.

It's just the whole issue of why then would we want to apply oxygen if we are saying that ANTIoxidants is what is needed. it doesn't make sense!
Rightio - gotta be quick here (littleuns swimming lesson due) and it is more of a question than an answer!

We know anti oxidants are good - we are all agreed :hug:

Oxygen must be good - we need it to breathe - I think we ALL agree on that :lol:

But perhaps it is that between the oxygen being pure and when it's structure changes and becomes harmful (into free radicals) that is the true problem (hope I'm making sense :eek: )

So pure clean oxygen from a machine good -no free radicals to interfere with nice clean oxygen!

Oxygen from the air which has started to break down bad! therefore, requires anti oxidants to improve skin!

That's my logic behind it - whether it be right or wrong :lol: xxx

But perhaps it is that between the oxygen being pure and when it's structure changes and becomes harmful (into free radicals) that is the true problem (hope I'm making sense :eek: )

So pure clean oxygen from a machine good -no free radicals to interfere with nice clean oxygen!

Oxygen from the air which has started to break down bad! therefore, requires anti oxidants to improve skin!

That's my logic behind it - whether it be right or wrong :lol: xxx

Yep you are making sense and yes that is logical. It is so hard though when you see something in black and white and then try and make sense of it. I never take anything as gospel though, hence my reason for asking!

Oh and just to add that Paula also says that moisturiser is not necessary for oily skins ... and then sells i her own product line a moisturiser for normal to oily skins!!!!

Hmm maybe her credibility is already shot to pieces, but it is still an intersting theory to debate! And to seperate the fact from fiction!

When I read the title of this thread I knew exactly what it would be about. I have wondered this too.

I have always looked at it in the way that "oxygenating creams" and facials, without machines, are allowing the skin to breath better by decongesting it not actually by adding oxygen directly but by allowing the cells to function better therefore being able to make better use of the oxygen supply from the blood.

We also use ozone (O3) to kill bacteria on the skin through a steamer or (to be less damaging to the nasal passages) through high frequency. I always assumed this just worked on the outside of the skin and did not penetrate through, the way it could cause damage however is through inhalation. I thought that only amphibians and fish could absorb oxygen through their skin, I may be wrong though.

This website page shows how very complicated the story of free radical damage is: MECHANISMS OF AGING

It seems under certain circumstances no molecule containing oxygen is stable enough not to cause free radical damage (pure or not). However one can only assume a small amount of damage is inevitable. We need oxygen for normal tissue function, so it would seem if the oxygen is taken up in the natural process-through breathing it in (but even then you can overdose and have an oxygen seizure) then it is safe. As you suggest it would seem to me that forcing extra oxygen into the skin with a machine (this is assuming it can be absorbed) would be doing more damage than good.

My conclusion: putting pure oxygen onto the skin does absolutely nothing- "the Emperor's new clothes" treatment.

I wish we had a scientist to elaborate on this.

Just wanted to add that I do however believe in the free radical theory of skin damage.

I'm off to the shops now as I've used all my brain power to try to puzzle this one out. I am looking forward to seeing how this thread develops- great question!

Thanks for your reply weezie, it really is a fascinating subject and I have been reading up on it for days and still don't have a concolusive answer.

It reminds me of the Detox footbaths and how they were all the rage until they were pretty well conclusively proved to be an "emperot's new clothes" too. But the therapists that had thenm swore they worked. I guess the only way to know in this case would be to have a placebo test as I know the power of the mind can make you believe yourself better! But I digress into a whole different topic altogether!

You have to make your own choive sassy.

All i know is that i will only use Karin Herzog,and it WORKS

You have to make your own choive sassy.

All i know is that i will only use Karin Herzog,and it WORKS

I got their literature through on your recommendation and it does mention about Free Radicals and Antioxidants and how their products are designed not to inflict FRD. It is all confusing and right now I keep sitting on both sides of the fence and have got splinters with all the times I've hit the fence!!

Could you say why or how Karin Herzog products work and what results you get?

Hi everyone this is my very first post to this website a geek virgin if you will lol. Anyway in aswer to the above thread about oxygen This is my humble opinion:eek: At our salon we use a range Called Karin Herzog, This range was invented by a man called Dr Paul Herzog when he developed this range it was developed for Drs and Surgeon (not for beauty) but hey thats another story:) Karin Herzogs hero product is with out a doubt there Oxygen Creams, they contain 2% Oxygen , Water & Vitamin E and plus glucose, trapped inside a special patented emulsion, Hydrogen peroxide is a fusion of liquid oxygen and water. Always when hydrogen peroxide touches the potent enzyme Catalyse; it breaks down into oxygen gas and water. Normaly the the oxygen gas would escape into the air this is where Karin Herzog have it cracked lol, becuase they can sucessfuly trap the oxygen and water from escapeing to air via the emulsion and becuase the pressure of the conversion from Hydrogen peroxide is so powerful the only way for the liquid gas and water to go is down into the skin. as the product sinks through the layers of the skin it converts to oygen gas and water. the antibacterial properties of the oygen gas penetrates its way through the skin to spring clean the skin deep down and destroying the bacterial toxins that cling to the Cappillary walls, once this has happen the water comes through at a much slower pace a helps to flush the toxins through the lymph
Whatever the skin type or condition the properties of the creams hydrate ,from the water,stabilise ,from the oxygen(which stabilises sebum production),or desensitises,again from the oxygen strengthening the caplillaries of the skin.

The properties that the products contain,being the h2 o2,water vit a and e and glucose are what is needed for the skin to funtion correctly,and it is what the skin RECOGNISES AND NEEDS naturally and NOTHING ELSE is required to do this.
This is what makes the products uniqee.Therefore NO MACHINES are needed to perform the treatments.

The other added benefit that the products have is the Vit.A
This is buffered,and once the products are applied this is taken down into the dermis from the oxygen.
Vit a is a reqirement to stimulate collagen together with the water and vit e.If none or one of these ingredients are not in all 3 then collagen CAN NOT be stimulated.

Thats why collagen can be lost because as you get older your o2 levels naturally deplete.
Because the products are SO active and they only have an 8 hour life span on the skin,due to the water flushing the o2 through the lymph,the products MUST be applied TWICE a day.

Again,there is no build up of acidic vit a because of the 8 hour period.
In conclusion we feel that Karin Herzog are the ONLY products that combines oxygen therapy safely,as there is no harsh side effects due to the products having an 8 hour lifespan.

Regarding Free Radicals, the use of Hydrogen peroxide, restricts and shortens free radical activity because of the water that combines with the oygen sourced from the hydrogen peroxide.
You can not get anything much simpler!

Well i hope this has helped in some way as to why we beleive Karin Herzog oxygen treatments work and why we chose this range:)

Latest posts

Back